Newbie with gearbox question

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2006, 04:40 PM
Jamieboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie with gearbox question

Hi everyone,

I just bought myself a totally standard UK '95 turbo wagon. I am blown away by the performance of the car!

There is one thing that bugs me about it after a week of ownership - when I am on the motorway doing 50mph or more, I hear like a droning noise from the gearbox. If I move the stick while it is in 5th gear from left to right, the sound changes pitch and is a little louder. As soon as I drop below 50mph, it goes away (kind of like that Speed movie, but less entertaining). Is this normal?!

Doing less than 50 is not an option on the motorway!

The best way I can describe the sound is that it is like the same noise from a straight-cut gearbox that I had in a Mini years ago!

The guy who I bought it from said that there is a balljoint at the base of the gearstick, where it "enters the gearbox" that requires removal and greasing, but I took this explanation with a large freighter full of salt.

The transmission oil level is sitting comfortably on max, but I must admit to not having checked the diffs level (as I think it sounds more gearboxy). The gear selection is silky smooth in all cases and there are no other hideous noises.

I am tempted to try a transmission additive which claims to reduce noise, but at £15 for something that is likely not to work, I am sceptical!

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated. Also, what is the throw distance from 1st to 2nd gear when a quick shifter is fitted? I may be barking up the wrong tree, as I have nothing to compare it with, but it feels like the distance is short on mine.

Thanks,

Jamieboy
Old 29 May 2006, 05:58 PM
rmtypeR
Scooby Regular

I have a similar thing on my car. No noise from the gearbox normally, but moving the lever to either side causes a "rubbing/whining" sort of sound. Does it in any gear and any speed... and changing the gearbox oil hasn't made any difference. I'd be interested to know if this is normal or not?
Old 29 May 2006, 06:02 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. It's perfectly Normal

2. Don't put additives in any part of your car - no need to

Pete
Old 29 May 2006, 06:09 PM
Scooby Regular

Give David at www.apiengines.com a ring, he really knows gearboxes.
I do not believe the Ball joint theory.
It is more likly to be worn than anything, but I have never read about anyone on here having trouble 'down there' except for the big detent sring coming off.
You might want to check that. It is right at the base of the gearstick exposed at the area where the prop shaft goes into the box. It is quiet a size so cannot be missed, but if missing the shift would be very loose to the feel and there would not be any bias of the lever to the 3 to 4th plane of the shift pattern.
Graham
Old 29 May 2006, 07:29 PM
Jamieboy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 911
.....but if missing the shift would be very loose to the feel and there would not be any bias of the lever to the 3 to 4th plane of the shift pattern.
Graham

Thanks to everyone for their replies so far. Graham - I think you are on to something, Sir. The stick is as loose as hell - it flops around with the lightest touch and doesn't return to any 'home' position. Can you give me more information on this detent spring?

Is there any chance this has fallen inside anywhere?

Jamieboy

Last edited by Jamieboy; 29 May 2006 at 09:38 PM.
Old 29 May 2006, 07:35 PM
Jamieboy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by rmtypeR
I have a similar thing on my car. No noise from the gearbox normally, but moving the lever to either side causes a "rubbing/whining" sort of sound. Does it in any gear and any speed... and changing the gearbox oil hasn't made any difference. I'd be interested to know if this is normal or not?

rmtypeR, yes, I have now tried this and I too can make the noise appear at speeds less than about 50. Over 50, it does it automatically
Old 29 May 2006, 10:25 PM
Scooby Regular

The large 'bias spring' is easy to find. Get under the car (safely!)
Get to the base of the gearlever. and the prop end of the box. On the nearside there is a large (50mm diameter) rubber bush and a stabilising rod. On the bush is a large washer with a tab on it with a small (3mm dia ) hole in it. One end of the bias spring should be in it!
Other end of the spring locates on the base of the lever.
Under tension the spring holds the lever to one side, or holds it to a 'biased' position.
It is common to have the spring fail due to stress corrosion and it can be left dangling or lost forever. All Impreza classics have these, UK's are the same, so a simple dealer purchase/fit or a DIY job, possibly about £2 cost?

hope this solves the issue.
Graham

Trending Topics

Old 29 May 2006, 10:50 PM
Jamieboy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 911
The large 'bias spring' is easy to find. Get under the car (safely!)
Get to the base of the gearlever. and the prop end of the box. On the nearside there is a large (50mm diameter) rubber bush and a stabilising rod. On the bush is a large washer with a tab on it with a small (3mm dia ) hole in it. One end of the bias spring should be in it!
Other end of the spring locates on the base of the lever.
Under tension the spring holds the lever to one side, or holds it to a 'biased' position.
It is common to have the spring fail due to stress corrosion and it can be left dangling or lost forever. All Impreza classics have these, UK's are the same, so a simple dealer purchase/fit or a DIY job, possibly about £2 cost?

hope this solves the issue.
Graham

Cheers buddy, I will get on it when I get some free time. I will report back after the fix about the effect of the repair.

Jamieboy