Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

waste gate noise

Search this Thread

Old 17 April 2006, 07:24 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waste gate noise

im after the waste gate noise instead of the dump valve noise can someone give me a step by step guide on how to do this as im still not to sure its on a sti8 if anyone has done it
jack.steve@ntlworld.com
cheers lads
Old 17 April 2006, 07:38 PM
Greatnorth
Scooby Regular

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ not very helpful but true none the less
Old 18 April 2006, 07:43 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Greatnorth
£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££ not very helpful but true none the less
do you put a induction kit on and then block off the dump valve to the intercooler and block the vacuum pipe surely someone knows on here
Old 18 April 2006, 09:48 PM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

what you need is either an external wastegate which will give you the WRC wastegate chatter ££££££,or as was said fit an induction kit and have standard recirculating DV,only thing is youll need to be pushing pretty high bhp or boost to get the required sound is this is what it sounds like with the induction kit
http://media.putfile.com/p1-3
http://media.putfile.com/p1-6

Last edited by jonesting; 18 April 2006 at 09:59 PM.
Old 20 April 2006, 02:37 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonesting
what you need is either an external wastegate which will give you the WRC wastegate chatter ££££££,or as was said fit an induction kit and have standard recirculating DV,only thing is youll need to be pushing pretty high bhp or boost to get the required sound is this is what it sounds like with the induction kit
http://media.putfile.com/p1-3
http://media.putfile.com/p1-6
sounds nice jonesting so what your saying is take off my bailey dump valve and fit the std one back on and fit a induction kit on and hay bingo ?? or shall i take off the bailey and blank the hole up and fit a induction kit also im running sti8 with ppp is that enough bhp
cheers steve
Old 20 April 2006, 04:50 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what you did on the cos mate

Run an Induction kit and no DV at all

The noise you want is compressed air being cut by the compressor wheel.

It wont damage your turbo (despite common belief) UNLESS youre running more than 30psi or a bigger turbo than the equivalant garret T4.

It WILL however KILL your Maf sensor after a period of time and that will inturn probably kill your engine

Last edited by frayz; 20 April 2006 at 04:54 PM.
Old 20 April 2006, 06:38 PM
white
Scooby Regular

Right, so what is the PROPER way in which to achieve this without killing the MAF and in turn ruining the engine.

I'm of the belief that 'if your gonna do something then do it properly', so I'd be willing the spend the dosh in order to achive true wastegate sound that doesn't cause any damage whatsoever.

Anybody know?

Trending Topics

Old 20 April 2006, 10:41 PM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

as was said above mate,i dont think its as straight forward as just blocking off and fitting an induction kit,i'm running a big spec engine to get that kind of noise,twisted hybrid gt30 for starters and a front mount with a 3 bar map sensor running 450bhp approx(and thats just the tip of the iceburge),but if its the noise youre after it maybe cheaper to just get a new turbo with external waste gate that would eliminate you having to mess with your induction kit.(and therefore prolong the life of your engine)even with around 300bhp you'll still get the wastegate noise,it just wont be as promenent,either way its gonna cost you.however i'm not a mechanic and this is just my thoughts,i'm sure some one of better knowledge can help a little more,either way its worth it..

cheers

Last edited by jonesting; 20 April 2006 at 10:44 PM.
Old 21 April 2006, 06:31 PM
silent running
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOOOO! I thought I'd heard the last of 'wastegate chatter'! What exactly do you mean by wastegate chatter then? Most people who talk about this fabled sound are actually talking about the sound of compressor stall - it's nothing to do with the wastegate. The wastegate is simply a little door that opens and closes - it can't 'chatter' or make any other recognisable noise itself. Of course if it really is some kind of genuine wastegate noise that I've never experienced, then I'll stand corrected. But more likely it's the twittering noise that comes from compressor stall, sounding through an open induction kit, when you're not fully dumping a trapped charge on sudden throttle closure.
Old 23 April 2006, 06:47 PM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by silent running
NOOOO! I thought I'd heard the last of 'wastegate chatter'! What exactly do you mean by wastegate chatter then? Most people who talk about this fabled sound are actually talking about the sound of compressor stall - it's nothing to do with the wastegate. The wastegate is simply a little door that opens and closes - it can't 'chatter' or make any other recognisable noise itself. Of course if it really is some kind of genuine wastegate noise that I've never experienced, then I'll stand corrected. But more likely it's the twittering noise that comes from compressor stall, sounding through an open induction kit, when you're not fully dumping a trapped charge on sudden throttle closure.
yeah thats what i meant,did i not word it correctly,silly me.so the noise that you get on an external wastegate,what's the correct terminolagy for it,as i thats obviosly the sound that this chap is trying to achieve,
cheers

Last edited by jonesting; 23 April 2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 23 April 2006, 07:09 PM
walkpau873
Scooby Regular

Waste gate chatter as in the wrx cars, is the turbine in the turbo stalling, with back pressure no be able to be released correctly through blocking off the dumpvalve- or so im led to beleive.

For propa noises, go anti-lag
Old 23 April 2006, 07:23 PM
TimmyboyWRX
Scooby Regular

WRC cars run antilag and no dump valve, hence the noise of the turbine stalling
Old 23 April 2006, 07:42 PM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

cheers for info,answer to thread then is to get a wrc car and hey presto,lots of noises..