Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

the AA towed my STi on 2 wheels - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2006, 12:42 PM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Location: in an engine bay, filling station or gym in Peterborough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the AA towed my STi on 2 wheels - HELP!

There's probably a thread regarding this but I can't find it, so...........

The AA, or more specifically a third party contractor they farmed the job out to, recovered my STi 5 on Thursday by towing it on 2 wheels - apparently not good on a 4-wheel drive car :-(

They were supposed to take it to a Subaru garage to have a noisy wheel-bearing looked at, and hooked it up and disappeared when I was on the phone so I never got to see them hoisting the front wheels onto the back of the trailer, leaving the rears on the ground.

Imagine my surprise when, 5 minutes later, a friend shot into my business to tell me he'd pulled the patrolman over a few hundred yards down the road because my car's wheels didn't seem to be turning in unison any more.

Red-faced, the bloke who admitted it was "swaying and feels heavy" phoned his boss and was apparently told to continue towing it with all four wheels on the ground.

I refused to allow it and made them flat bed it to Donalds, Peterborough, where it's sat now, unlooked at cos Donalds are busy.

Then followed the claims procedure to the AA.

"Hi, you appear to have towed my car on two wheels. The men on the phone at Subaru UK's technical helpline said you can't do this. I'm told you've probably damaged the transmission."

REPLY: "We don't accept liability sir."

"The owner's handbook has a drawing on page 172 showing a large X against towing it on two wheels."

REPLY: "We don't accept liability sir."

"Can I have a hire car until you sort this out?"

REPLY: "No."

"Am I supposed to get a taxi for the next few months?"

REPLY: "If you want to do this, we'll consider it if you can prove you have a valid claim."

"So I need to fork out up front for another car or a hire car or taxis while you do nothing?"

REPLY: "Yes sir."

"You are a shower of sh%t."

REPLY: "Please don't shout sir."

On a serious note, has this happened anyone before? What bits go bang?
What are my chances of getting a hire car? Is there an engineer on here who can venture a serious opinion?
Is a repair likely to be uneconomical? (I want a written undertaking from the AA following any necessary repair that some other part of the drivetrain isn't going to die in the future as a result of a stress fracture etc suffered in this ****-up. The idea of a gearbox failure at speed doesn't appeal. I still have the scars from a previous one sustained during a box failure while racing motorcycles.

My insurer, Norwich Union, wants me to pay my #620 excess up front before they take this up on my behalf with the AA and also helpfully point out that as it's a grey import, I only get a hire car for 8 days if I go this route, instead of the full term if it was a UK model. Pity they failed to point it out at the time I bought the policy or I wouldn't have bothered.

Cheers,

Carless Keith

(anyone seen how much taxis cost these days? I've done over 400 quid this weekend alone)
Old 09 April 2006, 01:01 PM
Yowzer
Scooby Newbie

Default Stick with a claim against the AA !!

I also ride a Motorcycle and had the misfortune to have the AA and their subcontractors 'recover' my bike and (eventually) deliver it to the repairer of my choice.

During that time the body work of the bike was severely damaged , the repairer contacted me as soon as the bike was delivered to them.

I contacted the AA and their response was, "we do not accept liability" and they stuck to this line for over 5 months . During that time I issued a County Court claim for the damage ( a useful on-line site is https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/csmco2/index.jsp ).

The AA still refused to accept liability and it wasn't until the very last minute that they offered to settle in full (but still not accepting liability).

If I were you I'd get an expert opinion regarding the damage likely to have been caused by their method of 'recovery', keep copious notes of what happended at the time (If you can get a written statement from your friend who saw and spoke to the partrolman that will be very worthwhile) and record and keep all communications with the AA.

Claim the full amount of all repair and consequential costs from the AA and don't let them fob you off or think you wont win - if they damaged your vehicle by their negligent actions you'll win - it's that straightforward !!

Good luck - and keep us posted !!
Old 09 April 2006, 08:14 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As above, but make sure you get a name of everyone you speak to each time you call them.

If it has damaged anything I would expect it to be the centre diff. The centre diff is at the back of the gearbox so can be removed and inspected with the gearbox still in the car.
Old 03 May 2006, 12:04 PM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

A month on and..... the AA accept they towed it incorrectly but are decidedly reluctant to put that into writing. Trading Standards is now involved.
The car is at Xtreme Scoobies and is being fixed.
The third party towing contractor who got the job from the AA is footing the bill.
The towing method popped a half shaft and destroyed the centre diff. The gearbox has been stripped and rebuilt and has no issues at all.
I am driving around in a poxy Vectra diesel estate.
Old 03 May 2006, 12:46 PM
d4ve_h4y
Scooby Regular

whyd you let them tow it????
Old 03 May 2006, 12:52 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Why dont you read the post properly???

Originally Posted by scoobywentbang
hooked it up and disappeared when I was on the phone so I never got to see them hoisting the front wheels onto the back of the trailer, leaving the rears on the ground.

Imagine my surprise when, 5 minutes later, a friend shot into my business to tell me he'd pulled the patrolman over a few hundred yards down the road because my car's wheels didn't seem to be turning in unison any more.
Old 03 May 2006, 01:05 PM
d4ve_h4y
Scooby Regular

erm surely he saw them coming and it wasnt a flatbed???

although i fully agree the AA ****ed up!!!

Last edited by d4ve_h4y; 03 May 2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03 May 2006, 09:15 PM
scoobywentbang
Scooby Regular

Erm, I told 'em when they turned up without a flatbed that they needed a flatbed, went back into work and left them to it in the car park with the car - under orders to flatbed the flippin' thing. Bloke knew better - obviously, 'cept he didn't :-(
Next I knew of it was a mate phoning to ask me if it was my Scoob skewiffed across 2 lanes with no turning wheels.....
Old 27 May 2006, 02:34 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed to the rac after the aa mechanic advised me to drive my vectra home despite the engine rattling like a bag of ****,turned out the cam belt tensioner had gone and was chucking bearings every which way, luckily I did not follow his advice or it would have been new engine time.
Old 28 May 2006, 10:33 PM
lokokkee
Scooby Regular

Don't know about UK, but you don't need a flat bed around here anymore. They put the rear wheels on a set of trolleys, effectively taking all 4 wheels off the ground. Probably due to the popularity of all those SUV's on the road, quite a number of the tow trucks carry the trolleys onboard just in case.
Old 10 June 2006, 11:07 AM
XR-Wayne
Scooby Regular

I dont use the AA or anyone like that, They all just dont give a crap about your car.and they think there wicked mechainic.
Only problem is is that when im 200 Miles away how to get it home.
But i keep the number of a guy i no thats towed my previous cars(When i was building it) and doesnt leave any wheels on the road still going, the whole cars on the back.
Old 12 June 2006, 10:48 AM
ClintUK
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear about this. Slightly off tracK I've had some pretty clueless AA guys in my time.

I had a 205GTi Pug which stopped starting. AA helped me bump start it and told me it was the starter - so I changed it. It wasn't it was a dodgy earth lead on the battery.

Before that I had a Mini. The AA said if we can get it running thats all we have to do by the road. He ended up squirting neat petrol into the air intake of the carb said it was working - so how was I meant to drive 100miles home ? The head gasket was blown and the oil was 50% water - thanks Mr AA for an engine rebuild.

Some experts
Old 14 June 2006, 04:44 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

I dnt actually get why you are so worried about how much Taxi's cost....they have shagged ur car!

I would never trust any recovery company towing my car...without me bing there...

Hope you get it sorted...juts get a copy of AA's terms and conditions and have a good read if not already done so...they have some dumb people working there who know *** all about how cars work!

Also have changed to RAC for near a year now...no issues...
Old 14 June 2006, 09:08 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

I joined the AA because i wouldnt give the RAC the steam of my pi$$ after what happened when they tried to change the windscreen on the Scoob!

Anyway, i only joined because i started working offshore and so i'm doing a lot of miles back an forth to Aberdeen.
If i ever break down in my old Cavy they could tow it with a rusty anchor chain wrapped round the door pillars if they really wanted to but i wouldnt let the Scoob out of my sight until it was safely on the back of a flat bed.

I know you should be able to trust them to know what they're doing but sadly it's not always the case, "a company is only as good as it's worst employee"

Kenny
Old 14 June 2006, 09:09 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

I know of a couple of people that changed from RAC to AA for the same reason, think it is pot luck who you get turn up.

I have nothing but good things to say about AA patrolmen that have turned up for me in the past, it is usually the tw@ts on the end of the phone which are the ones to blame . One patrolman even had a good swear of (in front of me) at the person in the control room that had taken my call.
I had advised them my immobiliser had cut in, I didn't know the code and that I needed recovering by 'Full lift'. They sent the patrolman

Nate.
Old 15 June 2006, 11:02 AM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

When my dad's scooby threw a bearing the RAC guy turned up with a truck with the things that lift the front wheels. He said 'sorry no can do', came back 15 minutes later with a flat bed! It's not all bad!
Old 25 June 2006, 04:30 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

AA told me to drive home when I had a broken cambelt tensioner luckily I didnt or else it would have been new engine time.
Old 25 June 2006, 11:16 AM
nickwrxstiV2
Scooby Regular

When my engine went bang, the RAC got a flatbed for me straight away! I'm sure they would be liable for it as the car ws in the care at the time.

An RAC guy told me about a woman they towed, using the towing bar. Whilst she was being towed, she took the keys out of the ignition to unlock her glovebox in order to get her make up!!! Obviously the steering lock locked and she went into a lampost, all whilst being towed. Anyway, the RAC had to pay as she was under their care at the time of the accident!

Consult a solicitor mate!