Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which cold air indution kit

as above but which one works best for the sti8 anyone done the change
Old 07 March 2006, 07:44 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Green cotton panel filter ........

Do a search, this has been done lots of times before.
Old 07 March 2006, 08:26 AM
Nyk Sti8
Scooby Regular

I have the aps cold air intake as part of the wrc350 package on my sti8 and I love it.

It does make alot more noise and it sounds like I have a vta fitted, which I don't. I went from an sti panel filter to the aps but as it was part of the package and all fitted at the same time I can't tell you what difference the air intake would make on it's own.

I think it would depend on what mods you are planning as alot of people still prefer a decent panel filter.
Old 07 March 2006, 09:06 AM
alloy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Green cotton panel filter ........
I have one for sale with a cleaning kit, so it'll last a life time, pm if you want
Old 07 March 2006, 11:45 AM
Zuby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nyk Sti8
I have the aps cold air intake as part of the wrc350 package on my sti8 and I love it.

It does make alot more noise and it sounds like I have a vta fitted, which I don't. .
looking to get this done in the coming weeks. i have an 03 sti ppp, but want a bit more GRRRRRR, am tempted to buy the h&s jap style but am thinking will the cold air induction be enough??? also this may be a silly question but can it get wet if you go over a puddle or whilst driving it in heavy rain??

many thanks

zuby
Old 07 March 2006, 11:59 AM
Nyk Sti8
Scooby Regular

I went for the aps full decat as I was told I would need that to get the most out of the upgrade so I can't say if just the cold air kit would make that much difference on its own.

As for the water I have never had a problem in the wet...........I think you would have to go through very deep water to cause a problem.Unless your wheel arch liner is missing as it sits above this.

Last edited by Nyk Sti8; 07 March 2006 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07 March 2006, 12:00 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

With cold air induction kits, a re-map is required as well

Trending Topics

Old 07 March 2006, 12:05 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have the APS CAK and it does the job, it needed remapping which was no problem, it does make some interesting noises now and you can feel it sucking in small furry animals and unacompanied children
Old 07 March 2006, 12:20 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

When you say it does the job what do you mean? It makes the right noises or its beneficial to the car?

When mine was mapped by richard bulmer my trust induction kit was removed and replaced by a green cotton air filter. The result was that intake temp went down by 14 degrees can you believe and performance was enhanced.......

Just my experience and the reason I ended up with a green cotton filter.

Gary
Old 07 March 2006, 12:25 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

When you say it does the job what do you mean? It makes the right noises or its beneficial to the car?

When mine was mapped by richard bulmer my trust induction kit was removed and replaced by a green cotton air filter. The result was that intake temp went down by 14 degrees can you believe and performance was enhanced.......

Gary
TBH Gary I have no idea but it sucks air into the turbo so it must be doing the job it was made for, I have a knocklink fitted which remains reasonably quiet the car runs perfectly, plus as a standard run of the mill car driver like most who have no idea how a car works I can not say if my induction kit is any better or worse than my old STi panel filter, a filter is a filter they both stop bugs and leaves getting in so I am happy. If there was a major problem with it I seriously doubt that APS would sell it, be allowed to sell it or Bob Rawle agree to map my car with it fitted. Plus as I want to get an FMIC at a later date I needed to get an induction kit of some description anyway.

HTH
Steve
Old 07 March 2006, 12:26 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Gary

Was this an underbonnet cone though, with cold air it sits in the inner wing, getting less heat.
Old 07 March 2006, 01:00 PM
clutdav
Scooby Regular

I have a K&N Typhoon cold air induction kit fitted to my STi9. And I love it to bits the noise is fantastic, but there are a few points to take into account before you buy one.

These are some pictures of the K&N typhoon on my car.

First of all if you are going to get an induction kit for your STi8 make sure that it is one that relocates the filter element into the front wing. If you get a normal one that sits in the engine bay you will only suck in hot air and the intake temps will be higher than with a standard filter box - in other words you will loose power.

Secondly, your car may need a remap as the induction kit could confuse the MAF sensor and result in lean or rich fuelling. As an absolute minimum I would recommend you go to a rolling road and have a fuelling dyagnostic done to find out.

My car was running very rich and so I got mine remapped to sort out the fuelling. I had a cat back exhaust system and the CAI kit installed and the over fuelling meant I was only making standard power - so in other words the CAI confusing the MAF sensor actually had a detremental effect on power output.

Mine now makes 300bhp and 290ft.lbs of torque with the exhaust system and K&N Typhoon installed and remapped. Not bad considering I still have all the cats in place and no PPP.

Better would be to have your car remapped - obviously by a reputable tuner - and release the potential of the engine. This will obviously be best done with a good exhaust system on the car at the same time.

Now having said all that my friends dad runs a STi8 PPP with the K&N Typhoon CAI kit and has done for 18 months now without any problems and he has not had the car near any rollers or remapped.

I would recommend the K&N Typhoon - but I just wanted you to be aware of the potential problems first.

Dave

Last edited by clutdav; 07 March 2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 07 March 2006, 04:11 PM
Ian@TunerUK
Scooby Newbie

clutdav, that looks a decent bit of kit, what sort of price are they?
Old 07 March 2006, 06:30 PM
my cossy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by clutdav
I have a K&N Typhoon cold air induction kit fitted to my STi9. And I love it to bits the noise is fantastic, but there are a few points to take into account before you buy one.

These are some pictures of the K&N typhoon on my car.

First of all if you are going to get an induction kit for your STi8 make sure that it is one that relocates the filter element into the front wing. If you get a normal one that sits in the engine bay you will only suck in hot air and the intake temps will be higher than with a standard filter box - in other words you will loose power.

Secondly, your car may need a remap as the induction kit could confuse the MAF sensor and result in lean or rich fuelling. As an absolute minimum I would recommend you go to a rolling road and have a fuelling dyagnostic done to find out.

My car was running very rich and so I got mine remapped to sort out the fuelling. I had a cat back exhaust system and the CAI kit installed and the over fuelling meant I was only making standard power - so in other words the CAI confusing the MAF sensor actually had a detremental effect on power output.

Mine now makes 300bhp and 290ft.lbs of torque with the exhaust system and K&N Typhoon installed and remapped. Not bad considering I still have all the cats in place and no PPP.

Better would be to have your car remapped - obviously by a reputable tuner - and release the potential of the engine. This will obviously be best done with a good exhaust system on the car at the same time.

Now having said all that my friends dad runs a STi8 PPP with the K&N Typhoon CAI kit and has done for 18 months now without any problems and he has not had the car near any rollers or remapped.

I would recommend the K&N Typhoon - but I just wanted you to be aware of the potential problems first.

Dave
cheers for that dave very useful ,just a few questions i run the ppp with a green panel filter and i want to change to the typhoon kit so how much and where to get one from and also where to take it to get set up im in the leicstershire area any tips ??
steve
Old 07 March 2006, 06:54 PM
clutdav
Scooby Regular

Hello again chaps,

Right price wise they are going for around £220 at the moment from suppliers such as Revolution, etc! To be honest any K&N dealer will be able to get you one. They come in 4 different colours (blue, red, silver and polished chrome effect).

You can search for the nearest K&N dealer here:
http://knfilters.com/search/dealersearch.aspx

I had the typhoon in chrome finish on my CTR and it looked great but was very difficult to keep clean. So, this time coz I have a crystal grey car I went for silver.

I got mine through a local company in Aberdeen (Checkpoint) so I could get my friends discount and I got them to fit as well for me.

Fitting wise the instructions are very good and detailed and you don't need any special tools - trust me an idiot could do it - however you will need to get into the inner wing on the drivers side which can be a little awkward unless you can get under the car and have long arms. So in other words I was lazy - coz my pal did it for free basically.

I'm sorry i can't help with tuners able to do the EcuTek2 or 3 remaps in the Leicstershire area as I am up in Aberdeen. Ask the question on this forum or SIDC and I am sure someone will be able to help you out. Just be confident in the tuner and ask for dyno graphs of previous subaru's they have mapped as proof.

Hope that helps a little guys..........

Dave
Old 07 March 2006, 10:55 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Have a look at Shaun's (webmaster) article on induction kits.
we did back to back testing on a few different types and the best advantage came from just sticking in a K&N panel filter, all the cold air "kits" made things worse ....

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=462807

Andy

Last edited by Fuzz; 07 March 2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07 March 2006, 11:06 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fuzz
we did back to back testing on a few different types and the best advantage came from just sticking in a K&N panel filter, all the cold air "kits" made things worse ....

Andy
Andy that was an induction kit in the engine bay vs. the OEM box though not a filter put into the wing which has some shielding from the engine heat.
Old 07 March 2006, 11:07 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Check out the CAIK which comes free with Harveys FMIC for new age cars

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=495273
Old 08 March 2006, 08:59 AM
clutdav
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Fuzz

Andy
You are correct if you only stick the cold air induction kit on and don't do anything else. So from a plug and play point of view not the best option. As I pointed out in my post yesterday.

However, if you do get a remap and sort the fuelling out they are much better than a filter element in the standard air box.

Dave
Old 09 March 2006, 12:06 PM
kevy1975
Scooby Regular

Cool

post moved

Last edited by kevy1975; 09 March 2006 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09 March 2006, 12:42 PM
clutdav
Scooby Regular

From looking at it I wouldn't say that was in "As NEW condition". It is in good condition but the filter element could do with a clean.

Good luck with the sale, but you may struggle considering you get these for around £200-220 brand spanking new + a choice of colour out of the shops at the moment.

Dave