Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

sti ra v2 heads, how do you tell

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2006, 06:59 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sti ra v2 heads, how do you tell

just wondering how you yell them apart as i had a 2.5 conversion done a while ago, it went bang a while ago too. i have just taken the engine out and found my problem, broken ringlands, but on having a look at the heads they have hydraulic lifters in them. I was told at the time by the company that did the work that they had sourced the same heads as mine to save time (WRX STI RA V2) and used those instead of my own.

can anyone tell me if these are the 7.5k valvetrain heads because i dont believe they are.

if not, what should i have in there?

thanks all

Adam.
Old 20 February 2006, 09:46 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that STi V2 heads are certinaly hydraulic because I sold a pair but I think that the RA had solid lifters? Dont quote me on that tho!
Old 20 February 2006, 10:47 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scoob+Bike=Fun
just wondering how you yell them apart as i had a 2.5 conversion done a while ago, it went bang a while ago too. i have just taken the engine out and found my problem, broken ringlands, but on having a look at the heads they have hydraulic lifters in them. I was told at the time by the company that did the work that they had sourced the same heads as mine to save time (WRX STI RA V2) and used those instead of my own.

can anyone tell me if these are the 7.5k valvetrain heads because i dont believe they are.

if not, what should i have in there?

thanks all Adam.
Adam, STi version 2 RA heads have short length valves with small ' top hat ' shims on them, inside the buckets. The buckets are the same size as the hydraulic ones and look very similar from the outside before stripping.

Hydraulic heads are STi version 2 but not RA.

The ring land problem is common on 2.5's that have used the hyper b*llsh*t pistons that just won't take higher than average boost [ IE above 1.35 bar in our experience ]. You'll need to either fit forged pistons or turn the boost down.

Good Luck - David - APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

The 7.5K valve train is not a worry on a 2.5 as it won't rev that well anyway. However, if you had RA heads then you really ought to use them, as they are better than the hydraulic ones anyway.

Last edited by APIDavid; 20 February 2006 at 10:49 AM.
Old 20 February 2006, 05:24 PM
Scoob+Bike=Fun
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks David,

Spoke to the company that did the engine in the 1st place and they are going to do some digging to find where my original heads went.

I'll be calling you soon to discuss pistons, rods and the crank mods that I'll need

many thanks

Adam.