how 'smooth' is a gear change?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2006, 01:28 PM
ketchup
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how 'smooth' is a gear change?

2003 STi type UK PPP with 30k miles
How smooth should changing gear be going up and down?

It feels quite 'notchy' and can be quite difficult to put into gear especially if iam in a hurry.
It doesn't crunch and there is no clutch slip e.g. no free revs when changing and pulls in first with handbrake on.
i understand when its cold it will not be as smooth but this is when all is warmed up (15mins driving/5-10 miles etc..)
Probably coz i'am a crap driver (timing and lack of finesse ) but as i have never driven another scoob i have nothing to compare to. My Clio 172 did not have a great gearbox either and again could get difficult at speed.
Is this 'normal'/common?
Is it me?
Should i get someone to check clutch etc...
thanks for feedback
Old 18 February 2006, 08:21 PM
KenS55STI
Scooby Regular

I have a 2001 JDM STI and started having more difficukt gear changes after the 30k service, it was ok before, so I concluded it was because a different oil was in than before the service. I'm now on 37k.

I went and bought some silkolene syn5 fully synthetic stuff and had that put in, now it is even worse ! Changing down from 3rd to 2nd when cold is the worst, but even when warm it isn't very good.

I am getting some castrol syntrax next week and will try that, it is lower viscosity, a lot lower when cold, so I'm hoping that will do the trick.

Generally I find all gears to be notchy, and changing up is easier than changing down.

I had similar problems on my previous car STI4 and it was caused by the clutch dragging. If it was in gear and I released all the brakes then it would start moving with the clutch fully depressed. This was cured completely by fitting an Exedy organic clutch and lightened flywheel from the group buy.

The other check you can do is to see if the gears work ok before starting the engine in the morning. I think if they do then it points more to the clutch being the problem than the oil or gearbox itself.
Old 19 February 2006, 12:48 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Syntrax helped my gearbox
Old 20 February 2006, 08:33 AM
ketchup
Scooby Newbie

ill try the oil - its going a 30k service soon
thanks for info