Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tyres Caused clutch To Slip

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2005, 02:45 PM
tershman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Tyres Caused clutch To Slip

For the past week I have been expeirencing what I thought was the clutch slipping in 3rd,4th and 5th gear when I got to about 3500rpm.
The rev counter only jumped to about 4500 to 5500rpm and felt more like a surge of power.
So I decided to phone around for prices to get the clutch replaced scary very scary.
I resigned myself to spending my money for new alloys on a clutch.
I knew my front tyres were getting a bit low and wearing on the inside so I decided to bite the bullet and replace them with 2 Pirellis and get the tracking done.
It was only after the tyres were removed that I could see how worn on the inside they were so drove to get the tracking done out by 3 degrees either side.
On the way home I decided to give it a bit of a launch and hey no slip.
Got up this mornig to go out gave it some welly and no slip touch wood seems fine.
Just goes to show how important it is to check the tyre condition and thankfully I have a reprieve and don't have to fork out for a clutch at the moment but I think I will start saving lol

Regards
Stevie
Old 09 October 2005, 02:26 PM
4eX
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Steve,
I have the very same problem, I am a qualified car mechanic and am going to replace the clutch and flywheel. The only thing that could allow the engine to rev but the car not move while in gear is the clutch assembly as we all know, mine has been doing this on and off for 6 months some times slipping some times not but only under load and funny old thing with a car full family. Speeking to subaru people, it seams that its more than likely to be the flywheel thats causing it but obviously you would replace the clutch at the sae time. I dont beleive that sorting your front tyres and alignement would stop clutch Slip in any way. One thing i would say is get 2 or 3 mates in the car then take it out, mine seems to do it more in 3rd accelerating hard from 2500 revs, as soon as the turbo spins up at 3000 revs the clutch letts go slipps around 500-800revs slipps back in and accelerates as normal. I would expect it to slip again soon so get saving................

P.S Scooby charge £884 for Clutch and Flywheel, £671 for Clutch only, Fitted Inc V.A.T. but as recomended onthis forum i will probably fit an Organic EXEDY.

Last edited by 4eX; 09 October 2005 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09 October 2005, 06:45 PM
tershman
Scooby Regular

Thanks 4ex I will keep an eye on it and hopefully I will get a bit of time to save my pennies,I will not be launching it (well as much as I have been) and taking it easy for a bit at least til the penny jar is fill.As long as it gets me to and from work I'll be happy.
Thanks for your reply
Regards
Stevie