Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY00 mod advice...

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2005, 01:19 AM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY00 mod advice...

Hi all, had my MY00 classic for 2 years now and have prided myself in pretty much keeping it as true to standard form as possible. All it currently has is a K&N panel filter and a backbox. When I bought it there was an induction kit and DV both of which I removed and the car felt noticeably better straight away.

I'm most probably going to change it next year but now that the extended warranty I took has expired I've been considering the option of a mod or two that will increase power and driveability for its final year with me!

Not looking to spend fortunes as I'm selling it next year and not interested in de-catting, downpipes, basically anything that would make it noisier than it currently is! The backbox gives off a lovely burble at present!

So is there anything that people would suggest? I have no idea personally but was thinking of perhaps just an ECU change, a PPP chip or similar?

Anyway thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions...!

Dan.
Old 25 August 2005, 08:10 AM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Just get a TEK3, panel filter and be done with it.

F
Old 25 August 2005, 09:07 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd

F
...and a de-cat
Old 25 August 2005, 09:49 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're not interested in a de-cat etc. and you already have K&N then there's little you can do. Maybe a re-map as Floyd said.

I would spend the money on handling. Rear ARB, Eibachs, bumpsteer with decent geometry.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:53 AM
micared
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd

F
....is the right answer! Plus, as someone else mentioned, a de-cat. Janspeed d/pipe on mine made no more noise than standard. Ask Floyd, he bought it!

Last edited by micared; 25 August 2005 at 09:56 AM.
Old 25 August 2005, 09:56 AM
Jim_B
Scooby Regular

TEK3 ( & de-cat ) + if you havent already at least get a 22mm adjustable rear ARB and some decent droplinks - The difference to the handling is unbelievable... has to be the best VFM mod you can do !
Old 25 August 2005, 10:17 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dan J
Hi all, had my MY00 classic for 2 years now and have prided myself in pretty much keeping it as true to standard form as possible. All it currently has is a K&N panel filter and a backbox. When I bought it there was an induction kit and DV both of which I removed and the car felt noticeably better straight away.

I'm most probably going to change it next year but now that the extended warranty I took has expired I've been considering the option of a mod or two that will increase power and driveability for its final year with me!

Not looking to spend fortunes as I'm selling it next year and not interested in de-catting, downpipes, basically anything that would make it noisier than it currently is! The backbox gives off a lovely burble at present!

So is there anything that people would suggest? I have no idea personally but was thinking of perhaps just an ECU change, a PPP chip or similar?

Anyway thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions...!

Dan.
As the above posters have suggested, Optimise your brakes and handling before thinking about power increases. An ECU remap is most expensive component of most people first forays into tuning (about £700). Without a decat, you won't see very big gains, but it'll still improve the drivability of the car. If the extra noise was putting you off a decat, you could always get sports cats, not much louder than std, but free flowing for more power. Problem is they cost a lot more!

NS04

Trending Topics

Old 25 August 2005, 01:33 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
An ECU remap is most expensive component of most people first forays into tuning (about £700).
NS04
Always amazes me why a geek with a laptop costs so much money when all he is doing is fiddling with the data set????

Should be £50 tops!!

Pete
Old 25 August 2005, 01:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pslewis
Always amazes me why a geek with a laptop costs so much money when all he is doing is fiddling with the data set????

Should be £50 tops!!

Pete
Easy Pete, they have to pay for the plasters that hold their NHS specs together, and their 8 mpeg broadband connections so, upon returning home, they can download 1 gig of rude stuff off the net!

Overheads, overheads!!

NS04
Old 25 August 2005, 01:50 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Dawes device. Cheap and effective.

and if you're not happy with the supsension you could look at doing something with that too.
Old 25 August 2005, 01:51 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Easy Pete, they have to pay for the plasters that hold their NHS specs together, and their 8 mpeg broadband connections so, upon returning home, they can download 1 gig of rude stuff off the net!

Overheads, overheads!!

NS04
Old 25 August 2005, 02:03 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

He did say no de-cat

F
Old 25 August 2005, 03:39 PM
Dan J
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for the replies! Brakes wise I'm fine as I have Brembo 4pots on from an old group buy. It's also been over to Powerstation and had the bumpsteer done.

Wasn't thinking of spending as much as £700 when I'm thinking of changing it next year, doesn't really add up value for money wise, plus seems you only reap the real benefits from that with a de-cat too.

Looks like I might have to stop being a little greedy here and stick with things as they are! Shame...
Old 25 August 2005, 03:41 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Should be £50 tops!!

Pete
Actually I think you will find a significant part of the cost is the ECUTek software license payment for each ECU mapped, not just the mappers time and effort
Old 25 August 2005, 04:37 PM
916Duke
Scooby Regular

My criteria was much the same as yours for my MY99. I had a just backbox for the first year, but last year I bought a decat mid section and a prodrive ECU. The difference was quite noticeable (although not dramatic) - the car felt much punchier in the mid range and a little more eager to rev. Much nicer to use in normal A or B road driving conditions - Think it cost me about £350 off of here.
Old 25 August 2005, 06:12 PM
Matt Classic
Scooby Regular

Ecutek re-map (and a different backbox you already have) will make a noticeable difference, it will also "feel" much faster with the extra torque.
Thats all I had done to my Turbo and I loved it. The new owner who purchased it even commented on how much more urgency and driveability the car had about it compared to the non re-mapped cars he had driven.
When it comes to sale time, you could always sell it on here, as has been said for approx £350 and take a standard ECU in exchange.
£350 for a years more enjoyment will be worth it. Only trouble is, you'll just wish you'd have done it sooner
Old 25 August 2005, 06:19 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Graz
Actually I think you will find a significant part of the cost is the ECUTek software license payment for each ECU mapped, not just the mappers time and effort
However the cost is made up doesn't bother me one tit ............. it's STILL a great big rip-off!!

Pete
Old 25 August 2005, 07:46 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

If cost is an issue then as said earlier, get a Dawes Device for cheap thrills.

F
Old 26 August 2005, 01:07 AM
wrxbouy
Scooby Newbie

The gc8's respond really well to breathing mods, ie induction and exhaust, without an ecu upgrade.
Old 26 August 2005, 12:27 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

If the suspension's standard, my vote is for ARBs and droplinks, front and back. Take advice on what bar sizes to go for.

Power wise, ported headers, de-cat the middle pipe with a resonated centre section, keep the downpipe cat. and the BB as you like it.

Then consider a remap.

J.