Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Ever heard of this before?

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2005, 02:37 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever heard of this before?

Putting TQF automatic transmission fluid in a manual Scoob gearbox?

Before you shoot me down in flames this suggestion was given to me by a guy who runs one of the biggest and most reputable gearbox repair businesses in Glasgow. He's worked on just about everything, but most importantly plenty of Scoobies!
He is of the opinion that normal gear oil ie 75w90 is too thick and that TQF offers just as much if not more protection. His argument is that nearly all the manual gearboxes he sees now have automatic oil in them as standard. Anybody ever taken the gearbox out of a Vauxhall for example and wondered why the oil was bright red?
In years gone by when gearboxes had huge clearances etc 75w90 was the done thing, but on modern cars with tighter tolerances this oil is so thick it can lye in the bottom of the box for a long time until it warms up and in cold climates ie Britain in general this can cause more harm than good.
I asked him why do so many people choose to put Hi-shock 75w90 oils in to help protect the gears etc? He's of the opinion that this is a bit of a myth and infact does nothing to help as it can turn the whole box into a big pump putting strain on everything ie trying to push the gears apart. He feels that having oil circulating round the box is more important.

Tin opener ready, standby to open a big can of worms

Kenny
Old 03 August 2005, 02:44 PM
rigga
Scooby Regular

the gearbox oil in vauxhall cars is not auto box fluid,its red in colour so its easier to detect leaks,ie engine or gearbox related....dextron as used in vauxhall auto gearboxes and indeed their power steering systems to my mind is not suitable for the gearbox......... would like to know otherwise though.
Old 03 August 2005, 02:53 PM
Kenny.S
Scooby Regular

I was of the same opinion that it was simply red gearbox oil but he's adimant that its basically TQF The guy does sound like he's done his homework he started talking on a molecular level about how all the oils work and what their different properties are. He's run numerous things on TQF and never had any problems, in some cases it's cured problems and even helped reduce backlash etc.

Kenny
Old 04 August 2005, 12:36 AM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

backlash is usually set up when the box is built unless the oil magically adjusts the gears a very runny oil won't reduce it a very thick oil might make a difference to it though.
some isuzus have tqd in the gearbox to help with the gear change some times they crunch and snick going in to gear and putting tqd in does stop that
Old 04 August 2005, 11:31 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember my old Sierra with the MT75 box and Mondeo with the MTX75 box used auto fluid.
JohnD
Old 04 August 2005, 07:11 PM
69WRX
Scooby Regular

I recently helped a guy over the road from me rebuild his engine in a peugeot 406.
We changed the gearbox oil at the same time and when he drove it afterwards his gearbox was notchy and he struggled to select first gear.

He said to me his father is a retired mechanic and he allways used ATF in his gearbox and found it worked better than other gearbox oils.

He decided to try ATF in his car and said it is now perfect. No notchyness and no problem selecting first gear.

Dont know if I would try it in the scoob though..