Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Reverse gear selection troubles

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2005, 05:50 PM
Vixen_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse gear selection troubles

I have an 02 WRX (low mileage, 17k on it) and have had trouble with selecting reverse gear...... for a while actually.
The garage had it in for a check at its last service, and said that they couldn't find a problem with it. (no surprises there!)

It hates engaging in reverse 95 % of the time, and its no better even when warm. It usually takes 2 to 3 attempts to get it in reverse, its cheesing me off & I'm just considering whether to get it back in the garage before the warranty is up, has anyone else had this kind of trouble?

vixen
Old 19 July 2005, 09:26 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I think this is quite common on scoobs of all ages. Someone on here said the reverse gear wasn't a synchro gear so could be a little hard to engage.

Mines an MY00 and also hates reverse. Pump the clutch pedal a couple of times, engage first then re-try reverse or blip the throttle just a touch and re-try once the engine settles down. All those work for me. I've just accepted it and learnt to be patient with it - you tend to learn patience with scoobs as they get older

Either that or make a big noise at the dealership and make them take a look under warranty. Put a mechanic in the car and show him it won't engage properly.

Hope it helps.
Old 19 July 2005, 10:44 AM
Vixen_WRX
Scooby Newbie

thanks for that,
I did wonder if I also "had to accept it" like you said, but it does get really annoying, I have to back onto my drive off a main road, and when it doesn't engage quick enough it can be a bit worrying with oncoming traffic!

the trouble is taking it back to the dealer again, is you can bet your bottom dollar it wont play up that day!

cheers,
Vix

Originally Posted by EddScott
I think this is quite common on scoobs of all ages. Someone on here said the reverse gear wasn't a synchro gear so could be a little hard to engage.

Mines an MY00 and also hates reverse. Pump the clutch pedal a couple of times, engage first then re-try reverse or blip the throttle just a touch and re-try once the engine settles down. All those work for me. I've just accepted it and learnt to be patient with it - you tend to learn patience with scoobs as they get older

Either that or make a big noise at the dealership and make them take a look under warranty. Put a mechanic in the car and show him it won't engage properly.

Hope it helps.
Old 19 July 2005, 12:28 PM
Belmondo
Scooby Regular

You could also try 'snicking' 5th before reverse.....
Old 19 July 2005, 04:16 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

you have to select a neutral position before it will go in, if you try and go from another gear first straight in it doesn't usually go come out of the forward gear in to neutral then go for reverse see if it makes any difference
Old 20 July 2005, 02:03 PM
Steve_L
Scooby Regular

Wink

i hve this as well in my stiv5, got really worried thinking it was the gear box but a p1 owner said his does it as well even with a full service history, so i just be patient now as the prev post said
Old 21 July 2005, 12:50 AM
kilo_4que
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve_L
i hve this as well in my stiv5, got really worried thinking it was the gear box but a p1 owner said his does it as well even with a full service history, so i just be patient now as the prev post said
Exact same thing here mate. Was even worse when i got the car new as it had been parked up for a while in the cold. Was very sticky indeed and at times wouldnt come out of gear when idle (generally 1st and reverse). However now gear change is sweet as a whistle apart from the usual reverse gear problems. Generally pressing the clutch a second time gets it in
Old 02 August 2005, 11:13 AM
Vixen_WRX
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by kilo_4que
Exact same thing here mate. Was even worse when i got the car new as it had been parked up for a while in the cold. Was very sticky indeed and at times wouldnt come out of gear when idle (generally 1st and reverse). However now gear change is sweet as a whistle apart from the usual reverse gear problems. Generally pressing the clutch a second time gets it in
seems like i'll just have to put up with it then! there does seem to be a lot of this "sticky" gearbox problems with the Scoobs thou.

if anyone has any other feedback, let me know as I want to get any work done whilst under the warranty.

cheers,
Vix
Old 03 August 2005, 03:17 PM
Praetorian
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Vixen_WRX
seems like i'll just have to put up with it then! there does seem to be a lot of this "sticky" gearbox problems with the Scoobs thou.

if anyone has any other feedback, let me know as I want to get any work done whilst under the warranty.

cheers,
Vix
First post

I also have a 02 WRX with the same problem. Although I'd say I can get reverse 60% of the time first go, 35% of the time second go, but the odd time it takes a few attempts.

I was very worried the gearbox was on it's way out until I read this thread! Car is just out of warranty too!
Old 03 August 2005, 03:56 PM
bioforger
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here with a MY00, when runnin shiftin into 1st n then into reverse works straight away. Sometimes I have to move forward before I can get reverse easily. 1st is also notorious to engage when cold. Scooby gboxes are strong but crap
Old 03 August 2005, 09:59 PM
pmarch
Scooby Regular

Same with my bugeye MY01. And I had the same trouble on my previous car, a Primera and many other cars are inherently similar. If it will not go into reserve fully on the first attempt, pop into neutral, lift clutch, depress clutch again and then try putting into reverse again (with some degree of mechanical sympathy) - but sometimes I have to give it a third attempt. I'm fully convinced it's nothing to worry about - it's just the way scoobs are.
Old 07 August 2005, 06:01 PM
Vixen_WRX
Scooby Newbie

thanks guys, i feel reassured now knowing its not just mine!