Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Power in Waves!!! WTF is going on

Search this Thread

Old 04 July 2005, 11:54 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power in Waves!!! WTF is going on

Ok, Was on the motorway yesterday, 1st time since full decat, and I noticed when 'pushing on a bit' that the power came in waves, like the turbo was spooling up and down. I think Ive seen threads on this in the past, but does anyone know the correct answer??? As the speed builds, its like the car wants to do it in stages, as opposed to all at once! (little git)

Anyone know WTF's goin on.

BTW, Ive replaced the MAF, the Lambda, and Ive got a Green Panel filter and a Forge DV, but other than that and the decat, she's standard
Old 04 July 2005, 07:02 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Had something that sounds like this a while back, in 5th when you put your foot down at a little more than motorway speeds the boost would go to 14ish psi, then down to 10psi then up again then down again then level off. Car would feel like you where putting your foot down then letting off slightly then on again etc...
With mine it was the boost solenoid, removed alarm siren with bracket (3 bolts IIRC) to ease access to the solenoid, disconnected pipes on the solenoid, blew all connecting pipes through with brake cleaner/WD40 (tried to disconnect all pipes at both ends so any gunk could be caught on a rag). Blew waste gate actuator pipes through etc...
With the boost solenoid I connected the green connectors under the dash (by steering column) and turned the ignition on (dont start engine), the solenoid should start clicking - now blow this through with the cleaner a few times.
Ignition off and un-fasten green connectors under dash, left pipes off for a bit to allow cleaner to evaporate, connected everything back up.
Double check everything is secure and start up and go for a run, mine was fine and back to normal again.
Sure I read on here somewhere that the main cause for getting crap in the solenoid is booting the car in 1st gear taking it to high revs. I avoid this now and it has been fine since (touch wood), ok to boot it in 2nd to 5th

Hope that helps,

Ayde
Old 05 July 2005, 08:47 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Cheers Ayde, most helpfull again

So, is it the one with Denso written on it in the picture, cos I cleaned that out the other week, but I didnt connect the wires

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Solenoid.jpg

Or is it the red one below???

Old 05 July 2005, 05:32 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LIDDO
Cheers Ayde, most helpfull again

So, is it the one with Denso written on it in the picture, cos I cleaned that out the other week, but I didnt connect the wires

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...d/Solenoid.jpg

Or is it the red one below???

Its the one with denso written on it mate, when you connect the green connectors and switch ignition on it will start clicking.
I also noticed when I changed my intercooler for an STI 5/6 one that my original intercooler had a bit of oily crap inside it, so I blasted a load of brake cleaner through the STI i/c and cleaned the dv up, might be worth doing whilst your messing around under the bonnet (if you can get it off)?

Ayde
Old 07 July 2005, 08:24 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Thanks again Ayde
Old 07 July 2005, 08:03 PM
Ayde
Scooby Regular

Problem solved mate?