Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

used SIT back box

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2005, 12:56 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question used SIT back box

Since I bought my bugeye, about a year ago, the stupid soundless standard twin back box was annoying me.
So car being in warranty still, and no decision yet on PPP, I thought a 2nd hand STI back box can relieve my "pain" a bit As far as I know(search around the posts), this should give back some of the burble - hope somebody can confirm that ?? and performance wise there will be no difference I guess.

My local garage just phoned me, they seem to have a good 2nd hand one, they are asking 175 EUR(I'm in Holland), i.e around 120 pounds. Now I was wondering if that is a good price ? Can anybody tell me ?

I have not seen the back box, but I have seen one at my garage and that had some rust outside and on the inside had quite some black smoke remains. Is that normal, or that box is just too used ? My standard back box has no black thing in or around the pipes at all.

Appologies for the long post, but hope some of you have some advice for me.

B.
Old 22 June 2005, 01:05 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Put an sti box on my bugeye and it didnt make any differance sound wise.

£120 is way over the top, sold mine for £40
Old 22 June 2005, 01:14 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Sold mine for a tenner last year when I got PPP fitted.
Have a chat to the techs they may put one by for you, because the sti backbox is scrapped when PPP is fitted they may give you the backbox for nothing!

As for sound, it's a little louder and looks much better.
The STI's do run abit rich hence the black soot.
Old 22 June 2005, 01:16 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pauld37
Put an sti box on my bugeye and it didnt make any differance sound wise.

£120 is way over the top, sold mine for £40
Really ?! I guess then it is good that I asked. But I'm really surprised that it didn't make any difference soundwise. The price did seem to me high, but also here Scooby goodies are more expensive due to less people buyig it, I guess...
Old 22 June 2005, 01:33 PM
pauld37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by maci
Really ?! I guess then it is good that I asked. But I'm really surprised that it didn't make any difference soundwise. The price did seem to me high, but also here Scooby goodies are more expensive due to less people buyig it, I guess...
I had removed the centre section and up pipe and certainly made no noticeable difference, but mine is out of warranty
Got a ninja on now and got the burble I was after
Old 22 June 2005, 01:34 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Just looked in the ScoobyShop, somebody is selling one for 50 quid. The only trouble is the postage to Holland which is normally too much of a hassle for a private individual....
Old 22 June 2005, 01:54 PM
dietbruboy
Scooby Regular

I've heard the STI bb on a WRX and there's not a lot of difference.

If you want a nice rumbley sound (but not insanely loud) go for the WR Sport oval. It's in the official brochure and you see them on Ebay every now and then. Stainless steel and I think I paid about £90 second hand for mine (£350 new?).

It's essentially the same as the PPP one (I understand both bb's are identical, made by Prodrive except one is oval and the other round - doh!).

DBB.
Old 22 June 2005, 02:07 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. I concluded that I'd still go for the STI, but only if I find it cheap around 50 max. I'm going to get PPP anyway, so that will sort it out, but meanwile ...
Old 22 June 2005, 03:55 PM
P1_Ash
Scooby Newbie

Question

What back box does the PPP use ?
Old 22 June 2005, 04:16 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dietbruboy
I've heard the STI bb on a WRX and there's not a lot of difference.

If you want a nice rumbley sound (but not insanely loud) go for the WR Sport oval. It's in the official brochure and you see them on Ebay every now and then. Stainless steel and I think I paid about £90 second hand for mine (£350 new?).

It's essentially the same as the PPP one (I understand both bb's are identical, made by Prodrive except one is oval and the other round - doh!).

DBB.
I'd heard that prodrive don't make the PPP exhausts - a well known manufacturer does....can't remember which tho'
Old 22 June 2005, 09:40 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I'm sure that Scorpion make them.
Old 22 June 2005, 10:30 PM
phelpsa
Scooby Regular

Magnex make the Oval.

Adam
Old 23 June 2005, 07:14 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

IMHO

Changing the WRX for the STI bb is a purely cosmetic mod, you will get no more noise or power. Saying that it is a worthwhile mod to do as the peashooters are top cack.

Might be worth changing the res pipe, as this does not improve performance, but does let loads more burble out. Therefore MIGHT no affect your warrenty.

Cookie
Old 23 June 2005, 08:13 AM
maci
Scooby Regular

OK, I gave in. Seeing all the good posts about PPP, I figured I can't wait any more. Expensive but hopefully won't dissapoint me. And instead of spending money on worthless mods this is better. Get both power and burble. Anyway, I just had my birthday. So just pick up the phone and ordered it Now it is only waiting, apparently should be max 1 week.

Can't wait to join the PPP club.
I also got some info from Prodrive on the PPP, and figured to share it with anybody who considers PPP on a bugeye. So this is what I understood:
1. ECU is not changed, but the original is re-programmed by Subaru with the Prodrive software
2. It is NOT possible to get the newest PPP on the bugeye. But nor the original piggyback ECU will be used either, because there is an intermidiate upgrade between the old piggyback and newest PPP. However, there are no official figures for the intermidiate PPP, was not on the dyno, but it should be around 255 BHP

After I have it installed I'll write a feedbck.