Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY02 WRX clutch recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2005, 03:58 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY02 WRX clutch recommendations

My OE clutch has done 43k miles now and has been a bit of a pain what with the 'judder' when cold and all, so I was thinking of replacing it. Rather than go for the standard Subaru part can anyone recommend a decent clutch. The car is PPP'd so the clutch needs to able to take the extra hammer, but must also be suitable for round town driving. Do I need an entire new clutch kit or just plates ? Also will the flywheel need skimming due to the judder ?
Old 15 June 2005, 04:09 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Is it just a judder when cold or is it also slipping?

If it's just a judder then live with it, really not worth changing as you might find that the replacement judders slightly also.

Try launching the car at 4-5K revs, that should clear some of the crap off and stop the juddering for a short while

The standard clutch is good for well over 300BHP so it should be able to cope with the PPP - I think Ninnybobs and Midlife are running over 350BHP on the standard clutch - not sure how long that will last though

Chris

Originally Posted by MJW
My OE clutch has done 43k miles now and has been a bit of a pain what with the 'judder' when cold and all, so I was thinking of replacing it. Rather than go for the standard Subaru part can anyone recommend a decent clutch. The car is PPP'd so the clutch needs to able to take the extra hammer, but must also be suitable for round town driving. Do I need an entire new clutch kit or just plates ? Also will the flywheel need skimming due to the judder ?
Old 15 June 2005, 10:14 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

I changed my clutch at 60k thinking it would be about ready for a change.

Guess what.................it wasn't. Looked in pretty good nick considering it had done 60k with upto 400bhp and quite a few drag racing days at Elvington.

Replaced the OE clutch with the identical one.

Cheers

Martin
Old 16 June 2005, 10:53 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Thanks for the replies. I knew about the 5k launch 'remedy' and have performed it a couple of times and it seems to temporarily resolve the problem.
Good to hear its good for 60k miles though, I might leave it a bit longer if I can squeeze at least an extra few thousand miles from it !
Old 17 June 2005, 07:35 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

If and when you do decide to change just fit the Borg and Beck version, its cheap but very good.
Old 20 June 2005, 12:16 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

I read a tip here not long ago how to handle the morning judder, i.e release the clutch without giving gas at all or very little. I have to say that it works well for me ! As it happens only in the morning, this is what I do at first start, after that use it normally