Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY 93 exhaust query

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2005, 12:39 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY 93 exhaust query

Just done a search for exhaust info. A recent thread said that the older STI doesn't have a centre cat - is this true for WRXs?

Found a rust hole in the rear pipe, and the centre section, which is slightly wider than the rest of the exhaust, but doesn't look wide enough for a cat.

To replace it, can I get a system which will leave the front pipe/cat in place - any recommendations on a tight budget?

If I went for a full de-cat, would I need it mapping?

cheers
Old 26 April 2005, 02:21 PM
Stephen Pope
Scooby Regular

i think so!
Old 26 April 2005, 03:31 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Assuming your exhaust is standard, which it probably is if its rusting:

93 WRXs only have one cat, in the downpipe. There is a silencer in the centre section which looks a bit like a cat (not the type that meow).

I would imagine an exhaust such as a magnex, scorpion or mongoose type thing will be the cheapest option, probably around £300. These can be bought as a cat back system, which will come in two parts (centre pipe and back box)

If you get a decat downpipe (£100 - £200), then you will need to factor in a fair bit of labour time cost to fit it, unless you attempt it yourself (not recommended). There are 4 bolts where the downpipe is attached to the turbo that tend to shear off on older cars (mine did) and this can mean labour time of 3-4 hours.

I dont have a re-map, but the garage did fit a boost restrictor (very cheap) as the car will tend to have boost spikes due to the new found freedom of the exhaust gasses (thats about as technical as I get).

I intend to get an Apexi ECU to have the car mapped properly, but this will cost £750, so not really good if you're on a budget. You can run the car without the re-map usually without too much problems, but a re-map will make the most of the mods.
Old 26 April 2005, 04:18 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

cheers for that - must be cheaper not having to replace the cat too.
I'm sure the holes can't be doing the BHP any good either...

Originally Posted by rossyboy
Assuming your exhaust is standard, which it probably is if its rusting:

93 WRXs only have one cat, in the downpipe. There is a silencer in the centre section which looks a bit like a cat (not the type that meow).

I would imagine an exhaust such as a magnex, scorpion or mongoose type thing will be the cheapest option, probably around £300. These can be bought as a cat back system, which will come in two parts (centre pipe and back box)

If you get a decat downpipe (£100 - £200), then you will need to factor in a fair bit of labour time cost to fit it, unless you attempt it yourself (not recommended). There are 4 bolts where the downpipe is attached to the turbo that tend to shear off on older cars (mine did) and this can mean labour time of 3-4 hours.

I dont have a re-map, but the garage did fit a boost restrictor (very cheap) as the car will tend to have boost spikes due to the new found freedom of the exhaust gasses (thats about as technical as I get).

I intend to get an Apexi ECU to have the car mapped properly, but this will cost £750, so not really good if you're on a budget. You can run the car without the re-map usually without too much problems, but a re-map will make the most of the mods.
Old 26 April 2005, 05:07 PM
wrxtreme96
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pwhittle
cheers for that - must be cheaper not having to replace the cat too.
I'm sure the holes can't be doing the BHP any good either...
have you also considered somewhere like Powerflow..they will build..fit to your specification..might be cheaper than magnex...etc..? lets face it all ya looking for is straight through pipe..and back box...