MY99 Getting a bit doddery :(

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2005, 02:46 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY99 Getting a bit doddery :(

Has anyone got any idea's

Got my MY99 in the New Year. It had an iduction kit and a dump valve. On the motorways at around 80, it seemed to stutter a bit. I was told in was the Lamda, so I replaced it, and all seemed ok. Replaced the Induction Kit back to a standard unit, and replaced the MAF just in case. Now, after all that, the car, when cold, feels stuttery and surgey
WHAT THE HELL is going on with this car????? Any idea's guys. It's cost me over £200 to make it run a bit worse!!!!. PS. It seems okish once warmed up.

:
Old 06 April 2005, 03:32 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

Turbos need to warmup before they run well, take your time and let it warm up and let the turbo warmup before you give it some stick

we all do its part of having a scoob
Old 06 April 2005, 03:34 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

I always do Reggie, but even pootleing around, it feels like the power come in waverly It was ok before I got my new bits Ive left the battery diconnected overnight too, to reset the ECU, but not too sure if ya can do that on newer classics!!!
Old 06 April 2005, 03:39 PM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

sure you can, leaving the ecu without power for half an hour would reset it

have you checked that all hoses are correctly connected, messing about in the engine makes u disconnect and pull off hoses without noticing it sometimes

also check for split hoses and stuff like that

whats the boost like ?
Old 06 April 2005, 07:36 PM
bikerthou
Scooby Regular

99my run crap hessitate / stutter when overtaking @ 60 /70 in 5th has it had a new engine yet if it has it should have had the ecu rewrite program done to it to stop it burning out pistons there was a bulliten out over the symptons you describe
Old 07 April 2005, 08:53 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

i dont quite understand, you changed maf sensor and lamda sensor ?

ecu reset would clear error codes and the car should be fine but isnt

changed sparkplugs lately ?

no leaks in pipes and hoses anywhere ?

do you have a boost gauge ? and if what is it showing ?
Old 07 April 2005, 10:32 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

I changed the Lamda cos it was a bit juddery around the 80mph mark, and then after going back to a standard airfilter, I thought with all the horror stories over the MAF,s, Id change that too! So I did. Left the battery unplugged overnight, and it STILL doesnt feel right! I think, it maybe as the turbo is spooling up!
What about the boost solenoid??? Where the hell is it?? I just want it to feel right, and it's buggin me
Had the car serviced at CAS about a month ago, it's 90K. Was okish then. Check most pipes, and all seem ok. Havent got a boost gauge, but i wish i had now!

Last edited by LIDDO; 07 April 2005 at 10:35 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 07 April 2005, 12:43 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

borrow/pick up an AE800/801 to see if it cures it.
Worked for me back in the day.
Old 07 April 2005, 12:50 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

It's MY99 so probably has an AE801 ECU anyway, have a look under the ECU cover in the passenger footwell to confirm which one you have.

IMHO I think it's just a feature of the MY99/00 model, mine has always felt a bit surgy / stuttery when cold, that's with either the AE802 and AE801 ECU (I've got both, 801 in the car, 802 in the garage waiting for an eventual ECUTek remap). When it's nicely warmed up it's fine, I usually give it at least 10-15 mins running before applying significant boost. The AE802 did suffer from more surgyness() when warm due to the progressive boost map it has.

Last edited by Graz; 07 April 2005 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Fixing my p*ss poor typinf
Old 07 April 2005, 01:03 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

DOH! Im glad you told me that! Cheers Ya see, Ive had a MY95 with a Dave Wallis chip running around 280BHP, my MY99 feels WELL different. Hmmmm oh well, just have to take it easy, as usual, and put up with the surgey feeling. Wonder if a TeK3 would sort it

Cheers for the replies guys
Old 07 April 2005, 01:26 PM
rgv_stu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LIDDO
I changed the Lamda cos it was a bit juddery around the 80mph mark, and then after going back to a standard airfilter, I thought with all the horror stories over the MAF,s, Id change that too! So I did. Left the battery unplugged overnight, and it STILL doesnt feel right! I think, it maybe as the turbo is spooling up!
What about the boost solenoid??? Where the hell is it?? I just want it to feel right, and it's buggin me
Had the car serviced at CAS about a month ago, it's 90K. Was okish then. Check most pipes, and all seem ok. Havent got a boost gauge, but i wish i had now!
mine sort of gets the same surgyness at around 2-3k when warming up. on a MY98. it went to the garage many moons ago looking at the service history and the dealer had commented no fault found on analyiser possible ecu problem??
Old 07 April 2005, 03:31 PM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Cheers Stu. I'll have to borrow an ECU from someone and see how it goes! Again, thanks for the replies guys
Old 07 April 2005, 04:39 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

I've got an MY00 with a TEK2 and that does stutter a little when cold. Its most notable when first setting off home after work for some reason. If I let it idle for a min or two before hand its all but gone once on my way home.

I've replaced MAF, Lambda etc as precautions too.
Old 07 April 2005, 06:11 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Check your oil level, make sure its not too high, then try cleaning out the boost solenoid, associated tubing, and also the boost restrictor with brake/carb cleaner.

I've just fitted ppp to my MY00, which caused it to suffer from hesitation at 3/4k in 4th and 5th gears.

Got the MAF changed which had an effect but didn't quite clear the problem, cleaned out pipework as above, drilled out the brass boost restrictor to 1mm but the only thing that sorted it was putting the original 1.2mm restrictor back in.

I might try drilling the ppp restrictor out to 1.1mm if I can find a 1.1mm drill bit, otherwise I'll take the linear power delivery over better but spikey power.