Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Not idling properly and revs sticking..

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2005, 08:43 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not idling properly and revs sticking..

HIya I noticed last night after having a hard play last night that when i pulled up the car was idling at 1500rpm.. Also had noticed that when depressing the clutch when moving the revs seemed to be sticking (not dropping).. Are these 2 related or is the second bit related to clutch being on way out???
could the maf or something be playing up???
Old 03 April 2005, 10:03 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

maf on the way out usually indicated by fluctuating idle not a setteld one

could it be your TPS sticking ? take it of and clean it also take of intercooler hose and clean out the throttlebody housing if you got dirt or residue in there it might not be able to close properly and will then give higher idle, say you give it some stick might indicate that dirt or residue has come lose or build up even further
Old 03 April 2005, 10:08 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

sorry to sound dum but what does tps stand for??? Throttle something i guess.

only occosionally idles strange.. most the time its fine..
Old 03 April 2005, 10:12 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

TPS is throttle position sensor and sits on top of of the throttle body just near the intercooler hose it measures the poistion of the throttle inside the housing telling the ecu what fuel it should provide to the engine if its not able to close properly it would tell the ecu to give abit fuel and higher idle would be the result

what model do you have ? cant exclude that theres a maf issue depending on model ofcourse
Old 03 April 2005, 10:29 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReggieMY99
TPS is throttle position sensor and sits on top of of the throttle body just near the intercooler hose it measures the poistion of the throttle inside the housing telling the ecu what fuel it should provide to the engine if its not able to close properly it would tell the ecu to give abit fuel and higher idle would be the result

what model do you have ? cant exclude that theres a maf issue depending on model ofcourse
its a 99 ver 5 sti type r
Old 03 April 2005, 10:36 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tasberley
its a 99 ver 5 sti type r
i forgot to say that i started it yesterday night and it only idled at about 500rpm until i gave it a little blip and then it settled to the norm 900rpm...
Old 03 April 2005, 10:50 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

how does the car drive otherwise ?

a faulty maf would give you symthoms like overboosting fuelcut like behaviour and generally would make the car run like ****e, if you do a ecu reset it usually starts to idle iratically, the idle would surge up and down almost stalling the engine it might seem fine before the reset but the ecu will have learned to cope with it and made the car seem fine to drive

MY99-00 have sensitive maf's that at some point depending on how the car is run will fail, this could be due to high flow induction kits and some aftermarket panel airfilters that are not mounted properly or gets contaminated with oil from the aftermarket airfilter, noone really knows what makes them pop but one thing is for sure they do fail at some point in most of MY99-00 models (including mine)

if you think your car is suffering from this get the maf replaced as its known to blow engines

Trending Topics

Old 03 April 2005, 10:53 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

i forgot to say that i started it yesterday night and it only idled at about 500rpm until i gave it a little blip and then it settled to the norm 900rpm...
check that TPS and the inside of the throttlebody there is a butterfly there that controls the throttle if you got dirt and residue in the it might be sticking (after a hard drive)
Old 03 April 2005, 10:54 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReggieMY99
check that TPS and the inside of the throttlebody there is a butterlfy there that controls the throttle if you got dirt and residue in the it might be sticking (after a hard drive)
cheers will check that out and see if that helps... is the intercooler easy to get off?? will have a look later on... cheers.
Old 03 April 2005, 10:56 AM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

are uk mafs and sti mafs the same??????????? any1 know the part no???
Old 03 April 2005, 11:06 AM
ReggieMY99
Scooby Regular

cheers will check that out and see if that helps... is the intercooler easy to get off?? will have a look later on... cheers.
very easy, undo the 2 bolts on eachside of the IC, undo the clips from throttle to IC hose and undo the clip to the hose comming from turbo left side,undo the small and bigger hose right side and give it a good wrinkle up and down and it should be comming of and you can lift it up

once removed bendover engine and use a small mirror if you have one to look inside the throttle intake and you should see the butterfly, now get a rack and some cleaner and with one of your hands open the throttle (where the throttle cable connects) and give it a good clean several times inside the housing make sure all dirt comes lose, do it until no more dirt comes off, also clean the TPS

hope this helps