Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

newage and classic up-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 29 March 2005, 06:03 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newage and classic up-pipe

can anyone confirm for definate whether the classic and newage up-pipes are the same apart from the classic not having the egt sensor hole?,i'm about to order a up-pipe and think its best to lose the sensor to eliminate the risk of sensor failing and wrecking turbo, unless anyone can advise different.

thanks

mark
Old 29 March 2005, 07:38 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Classic uppipe has no EGT boss and its the same one used in the Newage STi's.

Newage WRX upppipes have an EGT boss in it as it needs an EGT sensor in there as it also has a CAT in the uppipe.

If you remove the Catted uppipe or the EGT sensor, you need to install a 2200 ohm resistor across the terminals where the EGT sensor normally plugs in so as to fool the ECU and prevent it from throwing e CEL.

Russell
Old 29 March 2005, 09:14 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

i knew that mate,what i was getting at is whats best though??,am i better of getting the proper newage pipe and leaving the sensor in,so if the exhaust gets too hot i'll know but will also have the risk of egt sensor breaking and buggering turbo,or get the classic one without sensor hole and bung a 2.2ohm .5w resistor in conection but then i wont know if exhaust gets too hot but at least i'll have peace of mind that the sensor isn't there to bugger up turbo,basically i need to know 'do they get too hot without cat in up-pipe?? or will it run better with sensor in??'if not i cant see the point in putting sensor back on,i'll get a classic up-pipe.
Old 29 March 2005, 09:25 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The temperature sensor is there to check you aren't overheating the cat. Therefore, the feed to the ECU is not at all necessary if you don't have a de-cat up-pipe.

I have not heard of any EGT sensor breaking up and knackering the turbo, although that might be my lack of knowledge. I have however heard (and seen some pictures from the states) of the up-pipe cat breaking and knackering the turbo when it gets too hot.

Finally, in some more tuned applications (i.e. more than a straight exhaust/re-map), it can be worthwhile monitoring EGT as well as several other parameters to give you confidence that the engine is running within normal operating zone etc. If you want to do that, using the sensor via the boss in the up-pipe to feed a guage is handy.
Old 29 March 2005, 09:36 PM
mark6
Scooby Regular

cheers for that reply,it made me think a bit differently,what i was thinking was still getting the newage one and putting a bung in it,but me being how i am was thinking it might cause more turbulance in the upipe,i suppose its going to have naff all effects if it does,so i think you've made me decide i'll get the one with the egt hole and put a bung in it,at least then its there if i ever need it to be.