Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

2.5 Forester options......

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2005, 09:53 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5 Forester options......

Anyone got any experience with the 2.5 Forester turbo? Is the cat set up the same as the WRX, with a cat before the turbo? Can I fit a WRX up-pipe (and who makes the cheapest?)?

We're going to look at removing up-pipe cat if it has one, plus downpipe cat and fit a high flow item in the centre. Anyone done this, and what impact to boost? Is there going to be CEL issues, and what exists to fix?

I wont be remapping them yet, want to see how they drive first. Imagine this with bigger injectors and a td05/06 for a swift rolling sofa

Thanks, Richard
Old 12 March 2005, 10:34 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may be one of the first to mod these things.
There would be more info at www.subaruforester.com/forum/index.php but the site has been down for at least a week.

If the exhuast is a generic sized one for Imprezas/Foresters then perhaps the cheapest up-pipe option is to try an OEM Impreza STi one from a breakers. You'll need to fit a 2.2 Ohm resistor across the EGT loom connector as there's not one on the STi up-pipe.
Downpipe cat - perhaps a Prodrive one from a PPP STi thats being broken?
Third cat - Prodrive section from Ebay or SN?

It may be trial and error fro you as it could be a pioneering role in modding the 2.5

Nick
Old 12 March 2005, 05:10 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dowser
Anyone got any experience with the 2.5 Forester turbo? Is the cat set up the same as the WRX, with a cat before the turbo? Can I fit a WRX up-pipe (and who makes the cheapest?)?

We're going to look at removing up-pipe cat if it has one, plus downpipe cat and fit a high flow item in the centre. Anyone done this, and what impact to boost? Is there going to be CEL issues, and what exists to fix?

I wont be remapping them yet, want to see how they drive first. Imagine this with bigger injectors and a td05/06 for a swift rolling sofa

Thanks, Richard
Richard, If it proves to have an up pipe cat then I can 'lend' you an STi Impreza non catted OEM one to try and see where it gets you. We have a number of them that come in from Japan on our engines and one lent out as ' development ' stock will not cause me any grief. If it works we can work something out, if it doesn't, then nothing ventured nothing gained. Just pay the cost of the mail to Switzerland.

Any use?? David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com
Old 12 March 2005, 07:59 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Thanks Both.

Nick - wont bother with the Prodrive catted D/P. Just knock the OE one out of the D/P and weld it back up, then replace the stock centre item with a sports cat high flow item. We'll check, but on the STi's and WRX's this approach still meets all Swiss emessions tests. Will the resistor stop the CEL's from removing the cats (I'm used to reprogramming around it with EcuTek!)?

David - thanks. We're going to try and remove the stock up-pipe cat on a second stock WRX spare we have. If it is as much of a b*stard to do as the 1st one we tried, then I'll drop you an email

Cheers, Richard
Old 13 March 2005, 07:18 PM
EMS
Scooby Regular

Same as new age WRX!

I wont be remapping them yet, want to see how they drive first.
Forget that! It“s horrible as standard, the boost pressure is hold back until about 3500 RPM...... First remap and after that drive!

Mark.
Old 13 March 2005, 10:30 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Richard - the 2.2k resistor fix stops CELs from the EGT probe in the up-pipe. IF (and with a sports cat it could go either way) you get the CEL from the cat inefficiency, there is a resistor/capacitor fix for that too. Bear with me, I'll see if I can find the details . . . .
Old 13 March 2005, 10:32 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Check here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249640
Old 14 March 2005, 08:36 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Mark - I'm not a professional tuner like you. It's just my hobby, and the new software is expensive Might have to slap a Dawes on to see what it is capable of - but if it's a td04 I guess it'll choke pretty quickly?

Talked with the mechanic yesterday - we do it properly, and remove the cat from the up-pipe and weld in a new section (will also make a jig ). Lambda will be moved to behind the new sports cat in the mid-section.

David - you will still have email today

Thanks All, Richard
Old 14 March 2005, 03:23 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

USDM XT has an up-pipe cat - would expect the euro version to be the same.

STi version is the 'normal' swapout.

Cheers
Steve
Old 14 March 2005, 03:35 PM
Peter Horlock
Scooby Regular

Talking

i know its not the same car, but when i put a i high flow cat from a WRX STI PP on my wrx the CEL kept coming on due to its passing gases faster. After a remap from BRD problem solved.