ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   2.5 Forester options...... (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/410452-2-5-forester-options.html)

dowser 12 March 2005 09:53 AM

2.5 Forester options......

Anyone got any experience with the 2.5 Forester turbo? Is the cat set up the same as the WRX, with a cat before the turbo? Can I fit a WRX up-pipe (and who makes the cheapest?)?

We're going to look at removing up-pipe cat if it has one, plus downpipe cat and fit a high flow item in the centre. Anyone done this, and what impact to boost? Is there going to be CEL issues, and what exists to fix?

I wont be remapping them yet, want to see how they drive first. Imagine this with bigger injectors and a td05/06 for a swift rolling sofa :)

Thanks, Richard

Butty 12 March 2005 10:34 AM

You may be one of the first to mod these things.
There would be more info at www.subaruforester.com/forum/index.php but the site has been down for at least a week.

If the exhuast is a generic sized one for Imprezas/Foresters then perhaps the cheapest up-pipe option is to try an OEM Impreza STi one from a breakers. You'll need to fit a 2.2 Ohm resistor across the EGT loom connector as there's not one on the STi up-pipe.
Downpipe cat - perhaps a Prodrive one from a PPP STi thats being broken?
Third cat - Prodrive section from Ebay or SN?

It may be trial and error fro you as it could be a pioneering role in modding the 2.5

Nick

APIDavid 12 March 2005 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by dowser
Anyone got any experience with the 2.5 Forester turbo? Is the cat set up the same as the WRX, with a cat before the turbo? Can I fit a WRX up-pipe (and who makes the cheapest?)?

We're going to look at removing up-pipe cat if it has one, plus downpipe cat and fit a high flow item in the centre. Anyone done this, and what impact to boost? Is there going to be CEL issues, and what exists to fix?

I wont be remapping them yet, want to see how they drive first. Imagine this with bigger injectors and a td05/06 for a swift rolling sofa :)

Thanks, Richard

Richard, If it proves to have an up pipe cat then I can 'lend' you an STi Impreza non catted OEM one to try and see where it gets you. We have a number of them that come in from Japan on our engines and one lent out as ' development ' stock will not cause me any grief. If it works we can work something out, if it doesn't, then nothing ventured nothing gained. Just pay the cost of the mail to Switzerland.

Any use?? David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

dowser 12 March 2005 07:59 PM

Thanks Both.

Nick - wont bother with the Prodrive catted D/P. Just knock the OE one out of the D/P and weld it back up, then replace the stock centre item with a sports cat high flow item. We'll check, but on the STi's and WRX's this approach still meets all Swiss emessions tests. Will the resistor stop the CEL's from removing the cats (I'm used to reprogramming around it with EcuTek!)?

David - thanks. We're going to try and remove the stock up-pipe cat on a second stock WRX spare we have. If it is as much of a b*stard to do as the 1st one we tried, then I'll drop you an email :D

Cheers, Richard

EMS 13 March 2005 07:18 PM

Same as new age WRX!

I wont be remapping them yet, want to see how they drive first.
Forget that! Itīs horrible as standard, the boost pressure is hold back until about 3500 RPM...... :confused: First remap and after that drive! :)

Mark.

hades 13 March 2005 10:30 PM

Richard - the 2.2k resistor fix stops CELs from the EGT probe in the up-pipe. IF (and with a sports cat it could go either way) you get the CEL from the cat inefficiency, there is a resistor/capacitor fix for that too. Bear with me, I'll see if I can find the details . . . .

hades 13 March 2005 10:32 PM

Check here:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=249640

dowser 14 March 2005 08:36 AM

Mark - I'm not a professional tuner like you. It's just my hobby, and the new software is expensive :D Might have to slap a Dawes on to see what it is capable of - but if it's a td04 I guess it'll choke pretty quickly?

Talked with the mechanic yesterday - we do it properly, and remove the cat from the up-pipe and weld in a new section (will also make a jig :)). Lambda will be moved to behind the new sports cat in the mid-section.

David - you will still have email today ;)

Thanks All, Richard

stevem2k 14 March 2005 03:23 PM

USDM XT has an up-pipe cat - would expect the euro version to be the same.

STi version is the 'normal' swapout.

Cheers
Steve

Peter Horlock 14 March 2005 03:35 PM

i know its not the same car, but when i put a i high flow cat from a WRX STI PP on my wrx the CEL kept coming on due to its passing gases faster. After a remap from BRD problem solved.