Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

arrrghh diff dying or wheel bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 30 January 2005, 06:28 PM
S3TH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arrrghh diff dying or wheel bearing?

On the way to london the car started whining a little. noise got worse very quickly and it sounded like the old WW2 bomber noise when a wheel bearing starts going. Does it worse on lift off. Dont think its the gear box as it still does it when rolling out of gear. Only thing is the whining noise also sometimes sounds like a grating which begs me to believe its not just a wheel bearing.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 01 February 2005, 08:41 AM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

I had a similar noise to this on my RA, I had just crossed the finishing line when a whine started, 100% sure it wasn't my wife !!!!!!. Checked everything hoping it wasn't the diff, eventually placed the car up on 4 axle stands and got my son to run it in gear slowly while I went underneath . Noise was clearly coming from the nose of the diff. had it stripped and was informed that the bearings were fine but the pinion had run dry at some time. I have since replaced it with a good second hand diff. and now put a little more oil in it just in case. Make sure you get one that accepts your drive shafts as I needed to change these to. Pre 1996 shafts are handed, post 1997 shafts are identical.
Old 18 February 2005, 02:40 PM
TorBran
Scooby Newbie

Ohhh spooky S3TH that is exactly what happen to my sport, I was quoted £2,500 to get the box stripped out and repaired, but I am NOT going to pay that much. STI5300 cheers for the insight I am meeting up with Len from subaru4you.com next thursday (at the Bracknell meet) for him to have a listen and see if he can come up with anything, I'll let you know if you want, or you could come along if you want its at the leathern bottle in jealotts hill, bracknell.

Tor