Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

P1 exhaust needs work - which stainless?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2005, 08:50 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question P1 exhaust needs work - which stainless?

I'm a bit of a spaz when it comes to cars so pls bear with me

Have had a P1 from new (3.5 yrs old, 37500 miles) - went in for svc last week and dealer identified cracking on mid-exhaust flanges or something, within days of this starts to sound like a tractor (coincidence or some monkey put a screwdriver in the exhaust cracks to check them out?). They're saying it will cost c£250 to sort out and they need to order parts.

System on car was the std package - am tempted to replace the lot with stainless - so,

a) which one should I go for (is the PowerEngineering T75 system any good?)

b) how much fitted?

We live in Surrey so places not too far away would be good - really needs sorting this week.

Thanks in advance!
Gordo
Old 24 January 2005, 09:04 AM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

If they are referring to the centre section, you are only looking at around 100 squid. I have seen the t75 back box and system at PE, welds look very good but can't comment on it in operation. The Ninja is very good from www.scoobyworld.co.uk , along with with vortex but it is a bit louder (well, loads actually). Depends what you are looking for.
Old 24 January 2005, 04:12 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

If it's the same as mine, it'll be the joint between the middle pipe and the backbox fracturing on the flange on the middle pipe. Once it goes the car's performance will get shagged until it figures out WTF is going on.

Unless you're interested in NOISE! inside the car, pick up a replacement resonated centre section. Power Engineering do a Magnex resonated centre for about the same as your dealer can get one in for. It should be around the £110-£120 mark.

Alternative would be to get a open mouth downpipe and a H&S sportscat centre, though I'm trying to resist that one at the moment. (my warranty, my warranty....)