Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Dry metallic rasp when coming on boost

Search this Thread

Old 06 December 2004, 10:57 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry metallic rasp when coming on boost

a sort of screeching noise prominent with any high gear pulling flat from 2900 through 5000 (exhaust sound probably drowns out above) - UK 03 STi PPP

Cars performs well - sometimes suffers from slight kangaroo surge pulling through a gear on max boost - experienced on many other recent scoobs - always run Optimax

Suspect turbo bearing - is this covered by Dealer warranty - bought from main dealer 6 weeks ago (16k miles)

Any other thoughts?

Last edited by GRIFF007; 06 December 2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06 December 2004, 01:09 PM
JohnS

I've heard quite a few of them do this. My MY02 car does the same, and has done for about 12 months or so. My car is completely standard!

Not sure what it is, but it only happens at peak torque/boost. The noise isn't there in lower gears, so is load related (ie not a heatshield rattling).

I suspect it's the wastegate making the noise. I reported it to my dealer when it had it's last service, and the noise was gone afterwards for a few weeks, but it's came back again recently, especially in colder weather which tends to suggest it is boost related.

John
Old 06 December 2004, 01:30 PM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnS
I've heard quite a few of them do this. My MY02 car does the same, and has done for about 12 months or so. My car is completely standard!

Not sure what it is, but it only happens at peak torque/boost. The noise isn't there in lower gears, so is load related (ie not a heatshield rattling).

I suspect it's the wastegate making the noise. I reported it to my dealer when it had it's last service, and the noise was gone afterwards for a few weeks, but it's came back again recently, especially in colder weather which tends to suggest it is boost related.

John
thanks for reply - a sort of squealing squalk that goes through a transition of changing pitch as the revs increase from just coming on boost?

I could understand it being the impeller being thrust in its housing as boost is ramped up or dump or waste leaking - sound appears to come from turbo area though - louder from drivers side

originally thought it was gbox or diff protesting with torque v load, however has become noticeably more prominent

I use recom Helix semi oil against my better judgement and it does appear worse since changing from previous owners Motul fully synth as if compressor is shearing the oil and degrading it rapidly?

Any more comments guys?
Old 06 December 2004, 07:52 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

David

If it is the bearings then it should be covered under warranty. Saying that though, my car makes the same noise, and has done with the original td04 as well as the current vf34. The td04 was in good condition on removal, but there was a squeaking noise when moving the wastegate arm. You're absolutely correct in that it seems to come from the area of the turbo. My guess is it may be a squeaky wastegate, or even the noise of exhaust gas passing through the wastegate when on full boost. Doesn't seem to happen in mine unless I'm on WOT full boost.

As you're under warranty, get one of the mechs at your local subaru garage to listen to it and see what they say. My guess is they'll say it's normal.

Simon
Old 07 December 2004, 11:39 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SiHethers
David

If it is the bearings then it should be covered under warranty. Saying that though, my car makes the same noise, and has done with the original td04 as well as the current vf34. The td04 was in good condition on removal, but there was a squeaking noise when moving the wastegate arm. You're absolutely correct in that it seems to come from the area of the turbo. My guess is it may be a squeaky wastegate, or even the noise of exhaust gas passing through the wastegate when on full boost. Doesn't seem to happen in mine unless I'm on WOT full boost.

As you're under warranty, get one of the mechs at your local subaru garage to listen to it and see what they say. My guess is they'll say it's normal.

Simon
Cheers Doc, booked in at the local clinic next Monday!

My thread on DVs seems to have brought Andy and Bob to arms, I cant help think that they are both right and a combination of huge ind kit, heat isulated and fed from front remapped is best solution..

David
Old 07 December 2004, 11:54 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you would see some useful gains with that combination

Simon
Old 08 December 2004, 04:29 PM
Mat Mc
Scooby Regular

Wastegate flutter?