Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What to do next- upgrades Injectors/Turbo & remap?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2004, 10:29 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do next- upgrades Injectors/Turbo & remap?

Hello All

Well I have been enjoying driving my MY93 WRX again the last 3 months since having new engine and quite a few mods

Currently at this:

New 2004 STi short Block 2.0 + rebuild of heads etc & steel head gaskets(API)
Ported Up-pipe and Headers (Api)
Full Scoobysport Exhaust inc downpipe. No Cat
Walbro Uprated Fuel Pump
VF34 Turbo
HKS FMIC
HKS PowerFlow Air intake
Gems ECU with Air intake temp sensor and 3 bar Map sensor with Antilag
4 pots with black diamond discs & Tarox pads
Front & Rear strut brace
White line stiffer Rear Anti roll bar (adjustable)
Exedy Clutch
Lightened Flywheel
Std gearbox 5 speed (waiting for it to go bang )
380cc Injectors
17" Khan RSR's with Goodyear F1's
Braided brake hoses.
V5 Spoiler
Knocklink
Mapped to Optimax

Currently running 1.5 bar midrange to 1.1 bar red line, giving 343BHP and 330 Lb Torque.

The injectors were fairly maxed out on the last mapping session, So I know the first mod will be to fit bigger injectors. probably 550's.

I will in the future be looking to get a 6 speed box from later model so I can then further tune it up (mapped ECU to gearbox really so far!)

The main question I have is this. Will I have to change the turbo to get 400 BHP + and if so what type would you recommend and will 550's be the correct size to fit. And will I get a whole lot of lag if I do this. Currently hitting 1.0 bar at 3K and lag is fairly non-existant. What a diffo to lag having a mappable ECU made !!!

I will also be looking at changing the shocks and maybe bigger brakes next summer.. Then the handling will be totally sorted.. What are your opinions on coilover suspension for road use and maybe the odd track day?

Look forward to your replies

Cheers

Rob

Last edited by Trebor69; 28 November 2004 at 10:32 PM.
Old 29 November 2004, 01:25 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob, I'd be VERY surprised if you are getting that sort of horsepower on 380cc injectors maxed out or not. It's punching way above it's weight if that is the case.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza.

PS Yes, you'll need quite a bit bigger turbo - fitting a TD05 / 20G Fe is not going to make a lot of difference so I think you' ll need to be looking bigger than that too.
Old 29 November 2004, 08:27 PM
powercrazed
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=APIDavid]Rob, I'd be VERY surprised if you are getting that sort of horsepower on 380cc injectors maxed out or not.

im running 380cc injectors,fse fuel reg and standard td05 top entry! and my car ran 341bhp and 327lb at g force after being mapped by steve simpson and were told the injectors are running at about 95%
Old 30 November 2004, 12:19 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=powercrazed]
Originally Posted by APIDavid
Rob, I'd be VERY surprised if you are getting that sort of horsepower on 380cc injectors maxed out or not.

im running 380cc injectors,fse fuel reg and standard td05 top entry! and my car ran 341bhp and 327lb at g force after being mapped by steve simpson and were told the injectors are running at about 95%
Same as here mate, 95% duty cycle, what boost did Steve map yours too on the TD05?

Am thinking a Turbo change will deffo be needed, just wandering which one to be thinking of...

Hello David, Car still going like a dream after those few silly noises were sorted out.. Engine sounds so smooth !! Will be back up your way one day for that 6 speed conversion when my existing box goes bang. Puts a smile on my face everytime I take her out now.... Getting the nack of going sideways a lot now Still sh#t me pants most times still though Must be mad !!!

Anyone running similair setup to above and getting 400-450BHP, if so what turbo / injectors you using??
Old 30 November 2004, 09:27 AM
powercrazed
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Trebor69]Same as here mate, 95% duty cycle, what boost did Steve map yours too on the TD05?

i think it was mapped to 1.4bar but now the weather has got colder, im getting some knocklink activity. wonder if because the injectors are nearly maxed out, they cant supply anymore fuel with all the cold air going in?!
Old 30 November 2004, 10:41 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=powercrazed]
Originally Posted by Trebor69
Same as here mate, 95% duty cycle, what boost did Steve map yours too on the TD05?

i think it was mapped to 1.4bar but now the weather has got colder, im getting some knocklink activity. wonder if because the injectors are nearly maxed out, they cant supply anymore fuel with all the cold air going in?!
Yeh, I'm kinda getting the same, one or two greens, used to be just one... Thats why i'm thinking of getting some bigger injectors fitted and a remap, Ill give Steve a ring and take his advice.....
Old 30 November 2004, 10:04 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trebor69
Yeh, I'm kinda getting the same, one or two greens, used to be just one... Thats why i'm thinking of getting some bigger injectors fitted and a remap, Ill give Steve a ring and take his advice.....
Spoke to Steve earlier on and he said not to worry about the colder weather as the ECu has compensation maps for drop in temp, said it will have to get to -30C before it would become an issue.

Regarding upgrade to bigger turbo etc, seems that to go for over 400HP, I'm going to need a fairly big turbo which will give more lag and change the driving characteristics of car, Said he would like to take my money but advised I may pay a lof of money, (new turbo, injectors, remap, bigger clutch etc) for not much gain in driveabilitly... Seemed to make sense...

prolly spend it on better brakes and shocks then..... hmmm