Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Type R gearbox noise

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2004, 04:55 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Type R gearbox noise

I went to look at a version 4 type R earlier today and was very impressed. However, I did notice that occasionally I could hear a noise from the area around the diff control. It sounded a bit like the noise a clutch with a dodgy release bearing makes.

Is this normal? Diff was set to open btw

Whilst I'm here, is there anything else I should look out for on a Type R?
Old 07 November 2004, 12:51 AM
blue haze
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by legacyPete
I went to look at a version 4 type R earlier today and was very impressed. However, I did notice that occasionally I could hear a noise from the area around the diff control. It sounded a bit like the noise a clutch with a dodgy release bearing makes.

my type ra has an incredibly noisy transmission. no sound deadening material. at all.
Old 08 November 2004, 11:56 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sti 4 Type R does not have any excessive noise from the centre diff area - unless I lock the centre diff and try and park! Whats the milage of the car, because it does sound a little suspicious.

Originally Posted by legacyPete

Old 08 November 2004, 12:52 PM
legacyPete
Scooby Regular

its done 35,000 miles and was very clean, perhaps too clean.

Its also supposed to have been in the UK since new but has virtually no service history which is worrying. Does have MOT certs though.

Thinking about the noise again, I think it sounded a bit more like light pieces of metal rubbing. It only made the noise very occasionally though.

I'm a bit unsure what I should do really...
Old 08 November 2004, 01:16 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, walk away then, there are always cars out there for sale. Be prepared to travel though - I looked at about 6 or 7 before I found a good one. some people will try it on - I tavelled over 300 miles (round trip) to look at a 'mint' Sti 5 Type R V ltd, sonic blue, 22k miles, etc. Every panel had a dent, spoiler was broken, rear bumper didn't fit correctly, seat/gearknob/pedals worn etc The guy (trader working from home) only wanted £15K for it!!!!!!!!! I walked away and bought my V4 type R - genuine 24000 miles - been in the UK from new - with history - £14k. Standard car. I found one other good one - V6 but 60K miles put me off. Nicely mod'd though and well looked after. Keep looking and you'll find the right car - just make sure you wait for it to come along otherwise it's gonna get expensive!