Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

ECUTEK License "resides" where?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2004, 03:11 PM
RT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECUTEK License "resides" where?

If I have my ECU custom reflashed (TEK3) with tuner A, does my "license" reside with tuner A or with me/my ECU?

I guess the basic question is, if tuner A leaves the business for whatever reason, do I have to buy a whole new license again, or can I just go to tuner B and just pay for his time?

Thanks
Old 18 October 2004, 03:23 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

your ecu is licenced. Tuner B may not be completely happy changing someone else's base maps though.

Steve
Old 18 October 2004, 04:11 PM
WUZ
Scooby Senior

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Depends on how good the original mappers maps are (best not say anything more at this time) OOPS!

Russell
Old 18 October 2004, 04:23 PM
ozzy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on whether Tuner A leaves the license open on the ECU. If they lock it, then it's tied to them. If left open, you can go to any other EcuTek tuner.

This is to do with licensing and nothing to do with the quality of the maps. Can't see why another tuner would have a problem changing the map if it's beneficial.

I *think* Bob Rawle charged £125+VAT to remap an existing licensed ECU. If the license was locked, you'd be looking at a completely new license so probably around £350.

Make sure Tuner A knows what they're doing and specifically ask for the license to be left open.

Stefan
Old 18 October 2004, 05:23 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RT

Tuner A "locked" my ECU so when I had it mapped again by tuner B I had to buy a new license and map from the beginning.

Lost £500 plus on that one

Midlife.....
Old 18 October 2004, 08:07 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

IIRC Bob Rawle had commented it was a significantly different price for him to remap someone else's ECUTEK than one he'd done himself. Admittedly, I think that was more down to him "adjusting" his own maps, rather than starting effectively from scratch if it had been mapped by someone else.

However, rather than going third party info, suggest speaking to whichever tuner you were thinking of getting things remapped by, as they'll give you the definitive advice!
Old 19 October 2004, 10:52 AM
EMS
Scooby Regular

It´s not possible for tuner B to read the maps done by tuner A. If you change tuner, he has to start tuning from the beginning.

Mark.
Old 19 October 2004, 07:08 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

If the ECU is left ''open'' then tuner B can just re-flash one of his maps into it to avoid starting from scratch.

Lets be honest all the mappers do is find out what mods you have then load a map they already have to suit and then fine tune it, 1 1/2 hours max.

All the best mappers will have completed quite a lot of various maps to suit various states of tune, for them the first 20 or so must be a pain but afterwards the mapping process greatly speeds up.

Zippy
Old 19 October 2004, 10:47 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Zippy - you'd be very surprised how every engine has a completely different efficiency, even with the same mods. Yes, most tuners will use the same base map - but depending on customer requirements each customer drives away with a different map. Even me, in conservative Swissieland, running maps with standard boost past 5k8 to cope with autobahn hungry idjuts

Richard