Replacement panel filter for WRX PPP

Search this Thread

Old 15 October 2004, 05:55 PM
WAM WRX
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacement panel filter for WRX PPP

Hi Guys,

Are there any performance benefits to changing the standard panel filter on a 04 WRX PPP for an STi or other brand one?

Is it worth investing in an induction kit for my WRX PPP?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 15 October 2004, 07:37 PM
Bradders
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had a Geniune STI Panel Filter in my classic MY98 and thought it ran a lot smoother compared to the standard element. Also is not oiled so shouldn't contaminate your MAF. About 60 quid so not too pricey.
Old 15 October 2004, 08:11 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

I got an STi filter for £39 in a group buy (03 WRX PPP-ish) to be honest it's difficult to tell if it has made a difference but anything that lets the engine breathe better can't be bad.

I'd advise against an induction kit, the standard set up takes cool air from the wing rather than warm air from the engine compartment...and you need to take care of your MAF.
Old 15 October 2004, 08:27 PM
harry_p1
Scooby Regular

i agree with garycat get a replacement sti filter its alot better than standard and safer in the long run
Old 15 October 2004, 08:54 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Scoobymag test has an alternative view on the STi filter - it does bugger all!!

The differnc I have noticed on my WRX PPP is that the throttle input is more sensitive and there is a tad more torque after 5000 rpm

Nick
Old 15 October 2004, 09:26 PM
Greeny01
Scooby Regular

I recently bought a JR panel filter from Scooby World. To be honest I dont think it made a huge difference in performance but has certainly made the car run smoother, especially acceleration. It is very lightly oiled and i've been assured by the guys at Scooby World that this wont affect the MAF (oh and it took 1 day to get to me!).

Iain
Old 15 October 2004, 09:48 PM
WAM WRX
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the help guys - I think it may be worth it from what you have told me. At the end of the day - 60 squid isn't going to break the bank.
Old 16 October 2004, 01:42 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

I believe autospeed did some testing on the induction system. They showed there are two places where you get noticeable pressure drop - the resonator inside the front wing, and the inlet pipe to the turbo. Both were a lot bigger restriction to the breathing than a bog standard panel filter element.

I'm not saying don't get a panel, I'm just saying that changing your turbo inlet pipe, or one of the resonator mods will make more difference. Having just got back from a trial run after changing my inlet pipe tonight, it definitely has much more benefits than just changing the filter element did.

BTW, the standard set up doesn't take cool air from the wing, it takes cool air from around the grill area, through a flat pipe and then through a resonator in the wing - the key thing being it is still cool air. Some of the induction kits however, do take cold air from the wing (e.g. the APS which is quite popular). Still wouldn't argue that induction kits can be riskier to MAF life etc.
Old 16 October 2004, 06:22 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The STi panel filter gained me quite a few BHP
But then again i have a JDM car
These are good (if not excellent) bits of kit, the down side is that these are a JAPANESE only accessory, i would speak to your dealer before fitting one as it could invalidate your warranty (but if they are not bothered then go for it )

Tony