Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Help!!! Engine cut out on high revs

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2004, 10:46 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! Engine cut out on high revs

I have '98 turbo2000AWD.Once before about a couple of years ago, when I fitted the cone air filter, this prob occured.I was helped here.I got rid of the oil-based cone thingie,reset the ECU and the car was fine until recently when at times on high revs, the enging cut-out is taking place.The engine makes horrendous "thud" sound and I feel pushed back on my seat.It only happens for a second but doesnt sound good.It makes me paranoid to drive the car on high revs( Only between 4-5 thousand revs I am talking- not redline revving).
At the moment, my car has green panel filter.No other engine mods at all.I must say, I sometimes have put BP ultimate in the car although most of the time it runs on Optimax.
Please help!
Old 09 October 2004, 10:58 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

fuelcut.

i think the rash of sudden fuel cut posts (mine included) has been brought on by the cold snap's of late..

at least- thats what the mad scientist tells me (Pat- mapper)
Old 09 October 2004, 11:07 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbohot
I have '98 turbo2000AWD.Once before about a couple of years ago, when I fitted the cone air filter, this prob occured.I was helped here.I got rid of the oil-based cone thingie,reset the ECU and the car was fine until recently when at times on high revs, the enging cut-out is taking place.The engine makes horrendous "thud" sound and I feel pushed back on my seat.It only happens for a second but doesnt sound good.It makes me paranoid to drive the car on high revs( Only between 4-5 thousand revs I am talking- not redline revving).
At the moment, my car has green panel filter.No other engine mods at all.I must say, I sometimes have put BP ultimate in the car although most of the time it runs on Optimax.
Please help!
Doesnt it happen all the time or just when you are low on fuel? (1/3 or less)
Old 10 October 2004, 12:44 AM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The uk cars are prone to fuel starvation when they have a tank that is quite empty, i experienced it for the first time on track the other day, it feels just like fuel cut but is due to the fuel being the other side of the tank because of cornering forces rather than the ecu trying to stop you boosting too much.
BTW it happened to me with about one third of a tank of fuel.

Dan
Old 10 October 2004, 12:45 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Its been happening on occasions.It didnt matter if the petrol was nearly running out or if the tank is half empty.It always has about tenner(or at least fiver) worth fuel in it and I top it up.