Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

de-cat on sti8 ppp

Search this Thread

Old 08 September 2004, 02:51 PM
prodriveuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question de-cat on sti8 ppp

Has anyone done a de-cat on their sti8 ppp,and what sort of difference noticed?

Any other work required for the mod to run smoothly?...eg remap.

any answers much appreciated.
Old 08 September 2004, 03:20 PM
The Fixer
Scooby Regular

Remap without doubt, kiss goodbye to your warranty though.
Old 08 September 2004, 07:01 PM
Sti_Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriveuk
Has anyone done a de-cat on their sti8 ppp,and what sort of difference noticed?

Any other work required for the mod to run smoothly?...eg remap.

any answers much appreciated.
I have been running for about 10 months a My03 Sti with ppp and Haywood and scott decat and rear resonator section.

Managed 318 Bhp and 310 Ft lb at G force earlier this year.
Boost hunts a little but doesnt peak to anything bad.
It runs fine, no cel light and no adverse affects according to my SECS.

just my experience anyway!

I am trying to arrange remapping with pat along with a few mates
Old 08 September 2004, 11:04 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

doesn't the ppp put a sports cat in the dp any way

personnaly I wouldn't waste the warranty for a few bhp

ecu tek made a big difference to my my02 wrx
Old 08 September 2004, 11:22 PM
prodriveuk
Scooby Regular

thanks for your comments guys, it seems a remap is the only option and goodbye warranty!

Is it true that a remap by using ecu-tek software the dealers can't see it? as told by the guys at TSL. and the warranty stays intact?
Old 08 September 2004, 11:30 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

lol, they would say that
- ask them to put it in writing

on big warranty claims i.e blown engine your local garage will have to pass the claim on to subaru ( because of course they would go streight ahead and fix it, money in their pocket)

Im sure Subaru aint that stupid, If you are anything like me you will just have to forget about the warranty if you choose the TSL route
Old 08 September 2004, 11:33 PM
prodriveuk
Scooby Regular

wrx rich

So what spec on your motor m8?It seems you used the TSL route,did you find them as good as they advertise? and are you happy with the xtra urge now?
Old 08 September 2004, 11:36 PM
prodriveuk
Scooby Regular

sti lad

It was in the same line of thought as i had regarding decatting my scoob,after i rang TSL up they totallt put me right off the idea as mention in the post.....a remap costing 650 +vat worth!
Old 09 September 2004, 11:08 AM
STI @ 21
Scooby Regular

Hey surely the decat would just be a waste of money, simply becuase you would have been better doing the decat and the map to begin with instead of going for the ppp. I was undecided about the ppp or the route I went, and am more than happy about doing it the way I have. So many people have been decatting after the ppp, just a waste of money. The ppp is sports cat, and back box, along with fuel pump and a remap. The other way I went is, complete decat from Haywood and Scott with 5inch tail and soon to be flamer, along with an uprated fuel pump, and an ecutek remap. Definately the best way to go, one because you get around the 320 mark on BHP, at least 20 or so more than ppp, and also you save about £400 over the cost over the ppp. IMPORTANT the remap subaru do on the ppp is actually a Ecutek anyways. Anyway just my opinion, dare say I will get slated for it, have gone the route i said along with a few other tweeks, and am now hitting the 340bhp mark, probably only spending about the same as the ppp is to start with. PPP just a waste of money if your thinking about getting a decat IMHO!!!
Old 09 September 2004, 03:18 PM
prodriveuk
Scooby Regular

STI @ 21

Fair point m8!!! It seems that your route was a good one assuming you are not too fussed about warranty.

340bhp!!!!goes like stink?

So what do you suggest the best step for myself regarding more horse power? STI@21.
Old 09 September 2004, 05:20 PM
STI @ 21
Scooby Regular

Where you are the best thing to do if you have the money is start again, get a complete new de-cat exhaust fitted, and Ecutek remap probably set you back about £1200 or so for a decent system. However thats over the top, best thing for you to do would be to add a k+N panel filter, had not problems with this at all, NGK spark plugs. The problem you will always have is the cats, which is restricting your power. Removing the centre cat if there is one, and having a nice wide pipe all the way through to the back box is essential. You probably wouldn't have to replace the back box, just the down pipe and the centre section. All of this you should be able to get for around a £1000 and should see a considerable benefit in driveablity, and power. Remember doesn't matter how many mods you have on the engine, if the gas can't get out your going no where fast. Complete decat with ecutek, air filter, and plugs, along with fuel pump is probably the best bhp and torgue you could hope for before considering major expense such as front mounted intercoolers, and new turbos, whatever you do make sure the internal engine components can take it. Also if you want the car to feel faster perhaps you should look into the suspension setup of the car, might give a similar result!!!
Old 09 September 2004, 11:40 PM
prodriveuk
Scooby Regular

sti @21

thanks for that m8, some good pointers.I was thinking of sticking a sti panel filter, front down pipe and replace the cats with straight through items and remap.

Do you recommend any mappers out there?
Old 10 September 2004, 06:12 PM
WRX_Rich
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by prodriveuk
wrx rich

So what spec on your motor m8?It seems you used the TSL route,did you find them as good as they advertise? and are you happy with the xtra urge now?
as said I have a my02 wrx so not the same but - I did have a firestorm once but got rid and used a hks hiper

I have had my car serviced there, and would not have any problems uisng them again - I just don't like there attitude about other suppliers, and if you don't get tsl to do the job it will be rubbish ( to rubbish suppliers like hks, Br developments, ECU tek before they used the software Im sorry but it just puts me off)

as for a mapper, this is the most important part ( I ve had a bad map and I know ) I now use Bob Rawles and I have 100% faith but I know allot of members screem praises about a guy called Pat, I think he is self employed but does work for extreme scoobies

I wouldn't stray from the above - I think there is a group buy at the moment for BR development, don't be put of by the waiting list, good things come to those that wait
Old 10 September 2004, 06:21 PM
GravelCrew
Scooby Newbie

i have an ECUTEK tune and i went with a higher flow exhaust and the boost rose to near dangerous amounts, yet the car did not feel that much faster due to timing being pulled and extra fuel being dumped. when i had it re-tuned, the car ran less boost and felt much faster.
Old 10 September 2004, 11:22 PM
prodriveuk
Scooby Regular

wrx rich, gravel crew.

thanks for your comments.