Clutch Bite Point Moves

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2004, 01:38 PM
hyphen
Scooby Regular

Location: In my scooby and Super Muppet Forum, "45 Second tick tock" thread
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clutch Bite Point Moves

Recently started experiencing strange behaviour from the clutch of my '99 classic shape - it has only happened when the car has been driven for a few miles (10+) and then sits in traffic - the clutch pedal starts to offer more resistance when you try and depress it and the bite point also moves right up to the top of the pedal travel.

Last time it happened after putting up with it for about 25 minutes, I completely depressed the clutch pedal and then let my foot off the side of the pedal so it flicked back up to the top - problem diossappeared, the bite point returned to its usual position.

Has any body come across this type of behaviour before? Does anyone know what might be causing it?

Thanks,
Old 25 August 2004, 01:56 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this happen once on my 99my, gave me a real fright! Never happened again, so I really never got to know what caused it. Sorry I can't be of help, but at least you know you're not unique!
JohnD
Old 25 August 2004, 02:02 PM
manckster
Scooby Newbie

I get this too occasionally. I know my clutch is on the way out (125K miles) so put it down to that. It usually happens after being stuck in traffic for a long time, on/off the clutch a lot. Once i'm off and driving again, it soo clears up.

.... mines a MY97

Last edited by manckster; 25 August 2004 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgot to say......
Old 25 August 2004, 02:06 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hyphen
Recently started experiencing strange behaviour from the clutch of my '99 classic shape - it has only happened when the car has been driven for a few miles (10+) and then sits in traffic - the clutch pedal starts to offer more resistance when you try and depress it and the bite point also moves right up to the top of the pedal travel.

Last time it happened after putting up with it for about 25 minutes, I completely depressed the clutch pedal and then let my foot off the side of the pedal so it flicked back up to the top - problem diossappeared, the bite point returned to its usual position.

Has any body come across this type of behaviour before? Does anyone know what might be causing it?

Thanks,
Check the tension spring is there, they break & hang off or fall off all together, Goes from the clutch slave cylinder release arm to a bracket on the gearbox, roughly under the TMIC area.

Dean
Old 25 August 2004, 03:24 PM
hyphen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
Check the tension spring is there, they break & hang off or fall off all together, Goes from the clutch slave cylinder release arm to a bracket on the gearbox, roughly under the TMIC area.

Dean
Probably a stupid question - but whats TMIC?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 25 August 2004, 03:29 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Probably a stupid question - but whats TMIC?

Thanks,

Paul
Top Mounted Intercooler I think! It's the big square mesh/grill that sits under the central bonnet scoop, at the back of the engine bay.
Old 25 August 2004, 03:42 PM
hyphen
Scooby Regular

Thanks!

I'll take a look. But thinking about this, if the spring had snapped/fallen off, surely the pedal would behave the same way all the time. But as it only does it occaionally, it makes me think it is something else...
Old 25 August 2004, 05:59 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Thanks!

I'll take a look. But thinking about this, if the spring had snapped/fallen off, surely the pedal would behave the same way all the time. But as it only does it occaionally, it makes me think it is something else...
Not necceserily so, Instead of being pulled fully home , it could stop midway, It could also be air in the fluid travelling about or the piston seals on the clutch master cylinder, Look at the clutch pedal, follow the arm (up under the bulk head) , where it links to a rod , which goes into a black seal, Is it wet around the seal, squeeze it & see if brake fluid is there, If so the seals are worn & will be letting pressure out of the cylinder.

Dean
Old 26 August 2004, 07:24 AM
hyphen
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
Not necceserily so, Instead of being pulled fully home , it could stop midway, It could also be air in the fluid travelling about or the piston seals on the clutch master cylinder, Look at the clutch pedal, follow the arm (up under the bulk head) , where it links to a rod , which goes into a black seal, Is it wet around the seal, squeeze it & see if brake fluid is there, If so the seals are worn & will be letting pressure out of the cylinder.

Dean
Thanks - I'll take another look and see if I can see anything. If not, I'll get the garage to look at it when the car gets MOT'd.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 26 August 2004, 08:32 AM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like clutch fuild problem.. air in system as said or fluid very old and needs replacing..
Old 26 August 2004, 06:23 PM
sooby
Scooby Regular

I've experienced this problem - or similar. It turned out to be the clutch slave cylinder sticking and was replaced. Apparently, not uncommon!