HELP! No power until turbo kicks in :-(

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2004, 10:18 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! No power until turbo kicks in :-(

Hi everyone,

I've got a problem which is now starting to make me panic because I don't know what it is and I'm supposed to be driving to Germany in 2 weeks.

The car has no power until the turbo kicks in. Under 3000 rpm it revs it's **** off and doesn't pull until the turbo kicks in at just over 3000rpm. Acceleration is smooth, there is no judder and the engine doesn't sound any different.

Also, I changed the oil at the weekend (following greasemonkey's instructions to the letter, dry cranking etc!), will this have anything to do with it?

What should I check/look for as a possible cause? The car is MY00 (UK).

Last edited by minor_threat; 25 August 2004 at 10:26 AM. Reason: In my panic I forgot to say what model the car was.
Old 25 August 2004, 11:30 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Is your up-pipe leaking, Dump valve,
What Turbo is on the car ?? I take it it has not been like this before ?? Have you run it recently on 95 Ron fuel, Cheapo fuel, Hows your fuel consumption at the Mo..

Could be lots of things

Dean
Old 25 August 2004, 11:39 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Dean, thanks for replying. Always run on Optimax, the turbo is standard (TD04 on MY00 I think?), fuel consumption hasn't changed and there are no odd noises or excessive s moke from the car when running.

The only mods the car has got is a dump valve, STi panel filter and Magnex backbox.

Could it be something as simple as a leaking pipe? I'm praying for something simple!
Old 25 August 2004, 02:03 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by minor_threat
Dean, thanks for replying. Always run on Optimax, the turbo is standard (TD04 on MY00 I think?), fuel consumption hasn't changed and there are no odd noises or excessive s moke from the car when running.

The only mods the car has got is a dump valve, STi panel filter and Magnex backbox.

Could it be something as simple as a leaking pipe? I'm praying for something simple!
Yes could be loosing boost somewhere, so taking longer to build pressure, Check all boost hose connectors / clamps as most of the time it is the simple things that are at fault

Dean
Old 25 August 2004, 07:39 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

shall we come to southport to look at it!

or try RRH (simon) 07974150888

works in southport near the morrisons petrol station on the way towards the collage.

Last edited by julian N/W wrx my93; 25 August 2004 at 07:47 PM.
Old 25 August 2004, 07:51 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Julian,

Dave (REV) is coming tonight to look at it, he's a star! I've no idea what it could be, boost solenoid, running on 3 cylinders, split hose, sparkplugs, those things that attach to the sparkplugs ... could be fecking anything! Will let you know what he thinks,

Cheers,

Jason
Old 25 August 2004, 08:16 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is this just since the oil change ? What else would you have disturbed ( not much actually as oil filter under engine by headers, oil filler on top, nowt else to touch bar the sensor for cranking over to oil pressure... )

You DID put the crank angle sensor back on, didn't you Actually the car won't start without it. Check it is on OK. If you have an ignition pack and plug leads check them for tight fit in case they were knocked off/loose.

Doubt it's a loose / leaking hose as you are not on boost yet so not loosing boost pressure, ditto for boost solenoid, dump valve etc.

Dump valve and exhaust will make no difference, and they were aleady on were they not?

If it's revving but not powering away, maybe clutch slipping .. although it would get worse as boost came in.

May as well check all the little hoses from manifold to MAP and boost solenoid etc., and large ones on induction and to/from intercooler.

Could be other problems ... is the exhaust more sooty than usual, is exhaust gas white or blue, is water or oil being used up, are you getting more blow by from the crank or cam breathers ( the pipes that plug into the inlet pipe IIRC on 2000 ).? Maybe revs well but no pull as gas is getting past the piston or head gasket .. :EEK Check the oil and water for maionaise.

As often suggested, check MAF is OK, and coil packs if you haven't got plug leads.

Maybe using a Delta Dash ( see *Sonic* ) would show something?

Hope I have not depressed you, and that you get it sorted soon!

See ya on the 2nd hopefully, for another installment of the after hours Life of Julian!

Neil
Old 25 August 2004, 08:21 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Ohh yeah, try an ECU reset too!
Old 25 August 2004, 08:38 PM
julian N/W wrx my93
Scooby Regular

you could've caught a plug when you put them back in, easy thing to do.

plug gaps can make a huge difference........
Old 25 August 2004, 08:43 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Don't think he changed the plugs? Just mentioned is it as a possible problem now?
Old 25 August 2004, 10:18 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Problem solved: breather between inlet and carbon canister was venting to atmosphere. One jubilee clip and some fettling and she's as good as new
Old 25 August 2004, 10:26 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Little lines those to the carbon canister. What does this devious canister actually do? Can it be plumbed into a catch can ??

Why was it causing poor pick up / pulling Dave ?

Glad its better now..

Neil
Old 26 August 2004, 09:52 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Agh, problem not solved! I hate cars! It felt okay last night after Dave re-attached the breather to the carbon canister. It's worse today though and I've checked the breather pipe and it's still connected.

Is Sonic about? Do you think he'll be able to run a delta dash on it? I'll send him a PM.

To re-set the ECU do I connect two leads under the dash by the pedals?

Old 26 August 2004, 09:55 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Carbon can is part of the emissions control, basically it takes the crankcase fumes and fuel tank fumes, runs them through the carbon and releases it back to the inlet manifold to be burnt. The pipe that had come off was the line back into the inlet manifold so the manifold was open to atmos.
Old 26 August 2004, 09:56 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

is it attached at both ends?
Old 26 August 2004, 09:59 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

I don't know, Kel's got the car to work and checked it but she says it looks like it's still attached! just tried to send you a text message but my phone won't work! Did you get home ok?
Old 26 August 2004, 10:16 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say, as a mod "dump valve" As it's an aftermarket jobbie, take a good look here for leaks and proper seating. Why was it changed in the first place? the OE on 99my on are usually ok.
JohnD
Just seen the last couple of posts - looks like this could be it?

Last edited by JohnD; 26 August 2004 at 10:18 AM.
Old 26 August 2004, 10:28 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
You say, as a mod "dump valve" As it's an aftermarket jobbie, take a good look here for leaks and proper seating. Why was it changed in the first place? the OE on 99my on are usually ok.
JohnD
Just seen the last couple of posts - looks like this could be it?
John, thanks for posting. The dump valve was already on the car when I bought it so I don't know much about it to be honest, other than it's a vent-to-atmosphere one and is silver with blue piping! I hope you're right!
Old 26 August 2004, 10:37 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
Could be other problems ... is the exhaust more sooty than usual, is exhaust gas white or blue, is water or oil being used up, are you getting more blow by from the crank or cam breathers ( the pipes that plug into the inlet pipe IIRC on 2000 ).? Maybe revs well but no pull as gas is getting past the piston or head gasket .. :EEK Check the oil and water for maionaise.

Neil
Neil,

I'll check the exhaust again but it doesn't look any more sooty than usual. I don't think the car's using oil, the level seems to have stayed the same before and after oil change. When I did drop the oil on Sunday it looked fine, black but no mayonnaise. I'm not sure about the water level but the temperature doesn't appear to look abnormal. Once warm the temp gauge sits just below middle I think. Also, I've never had any warning lights on the dash, no check engine light, oil light goes out after ignition is turned on. Should I try and read the ECU for error codes? I have the instructions for this from the saxonfields website if this will work on my car.
Old 26 August 2004, 10:00 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Listen to the wife Jason, she know what she's talking about

situation resolved(ish) with minimal fuss- Scoobess was right all along
Old 31 August 2004, 11:38 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

And the problem was .... ?
Old 01 September 2004, 10:45 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
And the problem was .... ?
The clutch was slipping, and went from slipping to dead very quickly indeed! It seemed okay on the test drive after Dave fixed the breather pipes but that must have been because the car/clutch was cold and still biting a bit. Kel drove the car to work (a good 30 minute drive) and the bite disappeared completely along with any pedal feel. Should have the car back from the garage today.