Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Relocated coolant header and manifold spacers.

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2004, 01:37 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Relocated coolant header and manifold spacers.

I'm going to get a custom stainless turbo inlet made.

Has anyone relocated the header tank to allow a bit more space? If so where does it go? I was just going to shift it to the front a bit, with a bracket of some type.

Also thinking that adding spacers to the inlet manifold could free up a bit of room. I know spacers are available for the phase 1 engine but is there anything I've not thought of with the phase 2?

Any Ideas of opinions on the turbo inlet are welcome.

Dave
Old 12 August 2004, 01:41 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stainless might be less insulating than silicone, but if you are moving the header tank this is a big source of heat, something I probably need to move also. Bear in mind the 20G suits a fairly high velocity turbo intake, one of the most impressive 20G cars (sg72's before Andy bought it) had a standard inlet pipe and it was fast and surge free I believe.

The plug leads are a bit of a stretch with 10mm IIRC spacers, but nothing else troublesome, and they aren't too much of a bother, just don't locate in all their clips easily.
Old 12 August 2004, 01:45 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

I'm going to insulate the pipe (not sure quite what with yet) then cover it in aluminium exh tape.

The inlet doesn't look so smooth to me, so I'd like to see what I can do.

I'm going to make teflon spacers myself so maybe just make them 5mm, or not at all depending on space.
Old 12 August 2004, 01:55 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Fitting the inlet spacers is to stop heat transfer from the block ?? if so what about the heat of the coolant , I take it the inlet manifold has a water jacket around it ??, This must be equally as warm as the block..

Or am i just being stUPPid

Dean

Could the inlet be seperate from the main cooling & have it's own independant system, Along the oil cooler lines etc, Just not to cool of course because of atomisation
Old 12 August 2004, 02:03 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

The throttle body has coolant (heatant ) circulating through it which can be easily disconnected, but the rest of the manifold doesn't... I'm pretty sure!

The spacers, im my case were to allow more space under the manifold, so I can use a larger bore inlet pipe to the turbo. On the phase 1 engine the spacers would allow you to fit a front entry turbo, to the best of my knowlege.

The header tank will be moved as where it's positioned the inlet hose narrows to a small diameter. I would like to have a mandrel bent pipe of equal bore all the way through to give the least possible flow restriction.
Old 12 August 2004, 02:15 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you not find it is the power steering reservoir that is more in the way?
Old 12 August 2004, 02:33 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RB5_245
The throttle body has coolant (heatant ) circulating through it which can be easily disconnected, but the rest of the manifold doesn't... I'm pretty sure!

The spacers, im my case were to allow more space under the manifold, so I can use a larger bore inlet pipe to the turbo. On the phase 1 engine the spacers would allow you to fit a front entry turbo, to the best of my knowlege.

The header tank will be moved as where it's positioned the inlet hose narrows to a small diameter. I would like to have a mandrel bent pipe of equal bore all the way through to give the least possible flow restriction.
Rb5
Do you have a front Mount ?/ , If so there is a big void where the TMIC was could the header be located there & utilise the scoop for Xtra cooling or the void by the dipstick area !!!

Dean

Last edited by DeanF; 12 August 2004 at 04:08 PM.
Old 12 August 2004, 05:19 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Do you not find it is the power steering reservoir that is more in the way?
I was going by memory no9t wanting to spend too much time out in the rain. yup, It's the power steering resevoir thats in the way.

Dean, I still have a top mount. I see the area you mean next to the dipstick, or I might just remove the airconditioning and put it where compressor sits.

Engine from above

I think I'll leave it without spacers and relocate the power steering resevoir. this should give a nice smooth bend where it sits.

Before anyone mentions I'll also box off the filter with cold air feed coming from behind the foglight. I'm not going to remove it though.
Old 14 August 2004, 11:55 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

RB5

After John Banks comment got me thinking, Relocated my Coolant header last night in the Dipstick area.

See here
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...36#post3623836

Dean