Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which exhaust will suit me?

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2004, 12:27 PM
JDM
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust will suit me?

I'm looking for some advice about 'zorts. Have a Mk1 classic Impreza running a scoobyecu and no other mods. I'd like more power and a better noise than the standard peas shooters make. However I don't want something that looks too ridiculous, unlike the jap spec back box I had on my old JDM wrx.
Liked the look of the old scoobysport back box but of course that doesn't exist any more.
Old 11 August 2004, 12:47 PM
Soapy Sam
Scooby Regular

If you mean "old" as in Hayward & Scott Scoobysport, then they (H&S) still exist and if you mean Janspeed, they still exist.

The Janspeed SS system is superb (I have one) and SdeB is selling them again (or of course you gan go to Janspeed direct), but I've heard that H&S are also brilliant - they will make you an exhaust to suit you. Go for it.....
Old 11 August 2004, 01:01 PM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

JDM,

As Clean Sam says, you can still get the old H&S backbox. (I've just sold a twin exit one on ebay!) I've currently got a Magnex 6x4 oval on my car (MY00), and I found it to be a big improvement over the standard pea-shooter exhaust. Nice burble, quiet at low revs, really comes to life at higher revs, not intrusive if you're listening to the radio/Cee Dee player, doesn't attract too much attention or set car alarms off but does give the neighbours a low-level rumble warning of your arrival home.

It's not as loud as those Jap b/boxes though!

If you come to Southport let me know, you can have a look/listen session.
Old 11 August 2004, 01:08 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Soapy Sam

Thanks for the recomendation.

Just to be clear though, you cannot buy the scoobysport system from Janspeed direct. You can only by the scoobysport system direct from scoobysport, or from one of our main dealers listed on www.scoobysport.com

Cheers

Simon
Old 11 August 2004, 01:32 PM
Euan Brown
Scooby Regular

I have a Revolution full system with downpipe. http://www.revolution.eu.com. Power increase is very noticable and turbo responce is a million times better.

As for looks, mine has a 4" inward rolled tailpipe but you can get a 4" oval inward rolled. Both look far from being over the top!!

It sounds amazing, amongst the best I've ever heard. But its best trick is the fact that it is fairly loud outside the car, but perfect inside! You hear it purring away but its NEVER annoying!

Recommended!

EB
Old 11 August 2004, 01:41 PM
JDM
BANNED

Thanks guys will have to try to make my mind up, may well look you up on my visit to Southport, minor threat, I'll keep you posted, thanks.
Old 11 August 2004, 01:50 PM
JDM
BANNED

Another question, how easy is it for a novice to fit one of these backboxes?
Old 11 August 2004, 02:07 PM
Euan Brown
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM
Another question, how easy is it for a novice to fit one of these backboxes?
If its just a simple back box swap over.....its a totaly singe!! Easy to do with a socket set and a bit of grease to help remove rubber hangers!!

They are just flange joints with 2 nuts/bolts, so its just a case of unbolt the old one (usually easy enough) and remove the hangers.......hang the new one from the hangers, and bolt up the flange. Nothing fancy.

Prob best to change gasket.

half an hour and its done.
Old 11 August 2004, 02:08 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

there's a Prodrive RB5 silencer currently on ebay for £50...

got the H&S backbax and decat centre - love it. Not as loud as others but makes a terrific burble and can really sing when you're booting it!

Thought it might have been a bit too loud at first but it's fine now.
Old 11 August 2004, 03:24 PM
Pedroskate
Scooby Regular

Default Strap this on & Blow!!

Originally Posted by JDM
I'm looking for some advice about 'zorts. Have a Mk1 classic Impreza running a scoobyecu and no other mods. I'd like more power and a better noise than the standard peas shooters make. However I don't want something that looks too ridiculous, unlike the jap spec back box I had on my old JDM wrx.
Liked the look of the old scoobysport back box but of course that doesn't exist any more.
JDM
I've fitted a "Scorpion" stainless steel decat system & downpipe to a 97 UK Turbo. The difference is staggering (2 wrx saloons have tried and failed to out drag it on a dual carrigeway!). An interesting discovery along the way: I emptied the front cat onto the driveway during removal (pulverised to molten lumps), my mate is a Subaru Technician and tells me this is a common defect even on properly running engines. This would have explained the lack of any power increase above 5000 RPM (now the power rises continually to the red line). The exhaust is 65mm OD with a 90mm single inwardly rolled round tailpipe (tailpipe is the same as the Prodrive one on a UK300). Burbles at idle, grumbles on a moderate throtle, spine tingling howl when you floor it. Got it from "Proven-products.co.uk" for £415 inc vat (that includes the downpipe), add on about £15 for 10M of "Cooltec" heat bandage for the downpipe (virtually eliminates radiated heat). Its not an MOT requirement to have Cats fitted (the only requirement is to pass the emmisions test), some impreza can pass with no cats fitted, but probably worth refitting the old center (inc Cat) and rear pipes to guarantee a pass at MOT (about 15 minutes work as there are only the 2 coupling bolts to remove, the rest is rubber hangers). Never has so much BHP been released so cheaply...Enjoy.
Old 11 August 2004, 11:05 PM
S7EV3N
Scooby Regular

Im keeping an eye on the RB5 exhaust. It certainly look similar to a scoobysport. Anybody tried them both on a uk classic. How do they compare ?
Old 12 August 2004, 09:50 AM
JDM
BANNED

thanks for the tips guys, just need to save up the cash to actually buy one now, although that ebay back box sounds affordable.
Old 12 August 2004, 06:01 PM
S7EV3N
Scooby Regular

As per post 11. The auction ends soon and i wold like to know if it will be any good for an otherwise standard 99 turbo.
Old 13 August 2004, 10:05 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

An RB5 is a 99 Turbo so the zorst should fit straight on - I beleive it's a prodrive backbox isn't it?
Old 13 August 2004, 10:20 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

TSL group N very nice and not too overstated
Old 13 August 2004, 11:19 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

www.jap-innovations.co.uk

backbox sounds superb