Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Scary smoke from turbo area...

Search this Thread

Old 08 August 2004, 08:11 PM
TRF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scary smoke from turbo area...

Right set out to Leeds this morn..soon (as in about 3-5mins) after setting off i had to cross a quite busy road and had to blat to get across then had to slow down again for the next junction..well got across the first bit, and the second, then there are some lights on red, stopped like you do..after a few seconds i noticed "smoke" coming out of the i/c scoop, pulled into the nearest carpark ASAP switched off and popped the bonet..the "smoke" looked to be coming from the Turbo..very worried i let the car cool for a while then drove back home off boost (hadnt got far anyway)..had another look when i got back and the "smoke" had stopped, but i didnt want to risk any damage so stuck it back in the garrage and took the spare car to Leeds.

Any body know what it might have been??

Car is an 04 WRX, a bit under 4k miles, had oil changed at ScoobyClinic last tuseday after which the car was driven home and wasnt "smoking". Also fitted
a WR Sport back box last Monday. Hoping it was maybe a bit of oil or something that fel onto the turbo during the change, or maybe it was steam, but there was no water on the road to get kicked up onto the pipes. I really dont want to drive it till i know what it might have been, anyone?
Old 08 August 2004, 08:14 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had this after copperslipping the turbo and uppipe bolts, the grease burnt off and smoke came out the scoop when stopped!

Also, small leak from cam covers on to hot headers can cause this.
Old 08 August 2004, 08:33 PM
TRF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vulnax999
I had this after copperslipping the turbo and uppipe bolts, the grease burnt off and smoke came out the scoop when stopped!

Also, small leak from cam covers on to hot headers can cause this.
thanks for that, i dont think it will be grease as i havnt greased anything..could be the cam covers though..will there be traces any where i can see without taking half the engine to bits (wich i wouldnt know how to do anyway)?
Old 08 August 2004, 09:21 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, there would be oily patches on the exhaust manifold pipes under the cam covers, which you should be able to see if you drive up normal car ramps and look underneath / upwards. Or look at the cam cover edges themselves and see if they look oily or dirty.

Unless you car has the undertray, in which case I don't think you could see it, and may have to grope around and see if oil is coming out.

Not that likely on a newish car though, usually on a 70,000 mile on car when gaskets get a bit brittle.

Neil