Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Gearbox woes after new clutch ... any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2004, 05:20 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearbox woes after new clutch ... any ideas?

Just had a local mechanic inspect my 'gearbox noises' ... initially he thought it might be the propshaft bearing/connector. No such luck as with the shaft removed & up on the ramp in gear ... the noise was clearly eminating from the back end of the box. It sounds to me like metal rubbing on metal sort of noise. No ticking or regular grinding/whining etc, just a constant 'shhhhhhhh' sort of thing that is reasonably loud in the cabin. I had the clutch changed about 4 months ago but have only done about 500 miles since (and garage denys all responsibility) ... and the noise is getting progressively louder! I thought it might the new pads/discs up front bedding in initially as the noise was almost undetectable and not constant then - as they were changed at the same time. Gear select is flawless and apart from that noise nothing else is evident.

So, any suggestions as to what this might be ? Have you come across this type of thing before? Dam it .. do I need a new box? Can I uprate it during a rebuild? Where can I get a 6-sp STi box

The car is an STI5 with 56K miles.

Cheers
Paul
Old 16 July 2004, 05:41 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a worn clutch release bearing. Does the noise change when the clutch is pressed? The release bearing should have been changed when the clutch was and is usually part of the kit.
Old 16 July 2004, 05:49 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by theotherphil
Sounds like a worn clutch release bearing. Does the noise change when the clutch is pressed? The release bearing should have been changed when the clutch was and is usually part of the kit.
Where is the clutch release bearing in the drivetrain? The noise is constant clutch in/out .... by the back of the box I mean the end where the propshaft attaches. Does sound like a bearing of some sort to me though ...
Old 16 July 2004, 06:00 PM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normally, a worn release bearing will make the noise you described when the clutch pedal is out. When you press the pedal, the noise should disappear making it easy to identify that as the problem.
Old 16 July 2004, 09:23 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

I had this same problem, so when I took my gearbox apart there was a very mangled rear bearing in the centre diff

Unsure if you can get to it from underneath but I had the gearbox out to get to it.

Darren

Last edited by Mortywrx; 16 July 2004 at 09:26 PM. Reason: change pic
Old 17 July 2004, 12:02 AM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mortywrx
I had this same problem, so when I took my gearbox apart there was a very mangled rear bearing in the centre diff
Darren
Nice piccies .... !

Mortywrx: My car drives as it always did ... no apparent problem apart from the noise, what was yours driving like? I think that it has to be a box out situation! First time for everything
Old 17 July 2004, 07:04 AM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

it drove fine, nothing wrong but the noise! it eventually got worse and the gearbox just would not select a gear, in your case for the sake of it I would get it done now as this could potentially damage alot of things in the centre diff and gearbox.

Darren
Old 17 July 2004, 12:13 PM
GimmeMore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mortywrx
it drove fine, nothing wrong but the noise! it eventually got worse and the gearbox just would not select a gear, in your case for the sake of it I would get it done now as this could potentially damage alot of things in the centre diff and gearbox.
Darren
OK .... sounds like that is certainly a candidate. Next job, get the front wheels up on ramps and see if I can take the centre diff off (or even the casing) for inspection! Now that's gonna be fun!

Car aint going anywhere till this is fixed.
Old 17 July 2004, 07:36 PM
Mortywrx
Scooby Regular

good luck mate and I hope its not too bad

darren