Where is cheapest / best place to buy new mid section exhaust pipe

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2004, 03:27 PM
Ianwales
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is cheapest / best place to buy new mid section exhaust pipe

Hi All,

I have an 99 RB5 Prodrive and the exhaust is blowing. The mid section needs replacing. Can anyone recommend the best place to source the new part?

When I was last in SGT in Taplow (nr maidenhead) one of the subaru mechanics mentioned he had managed to get a new mid section for about £80 much to the disgust of his boss who had just told me the cost was £2XX plus fitting if I had it done there!

Cheers
Old 14 July 2004, 03:47 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=344175

see here
Old 14 July 2004, 04:39 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I can wholeheartedly recommend Hayward & Scott. Clicky... (in case you haven't read it yet... )
Old 14 July 2004, 06:40 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

www.extremejaps.co.uk
Discount for Scoobynet members
Old 15 July 2004, 03:33 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ianwales
Hi All,

I have an 99 RB5 Prodrive and the exhaust is blowing. The mid section needs replacing. Can anyone recommend the best place to source the new part?

When I was last in SGT in Taplow (nr maidenhead) one of the subaru mechanics mentioned he had managed to get a new mid section for about £80 much to the disgust of his boss who had just told me the cost was £2XX plus fitting if I had it done there!

Cheers
<cough> £200 - Is that catted or merely resonated?
Power engineering do a Magnex center pipe for £60+ and a resonated one for £110+ (both plus fitting).

I was quoted £118 from Bulldog, Twyford for a P1 resonated centre section.

J.
Old 15 July 2004, 03:46 PM
Ianwales
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vindaloo
<cough> £200 - Is that catted or merely resonated?
Power engineering do a Magnex center pipe for £60+ and a resonated one for £110+ (both plus fitting).

I was quoted £118 from Bulldog, Twyford for a P1 resonated centre section.

J.
J

Sorry for being thick what is a resonated centre section?

I thought a standard centre section was catted? I don't want to be messing around changing stuff at MOT time so I believe I need a catted centre section. Is that right?

Cheers
Ian
Old 15 July 2004, 04:26 PM
Ianwales
Scooby Regular

Just an update, rang bulldog Twyford to check and they quote £243.71 for a full centre section with CAT, ouch!
Old 15 July 2004, 05:17 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Hang on, you've got the WR version haven't you? Doesn't that include a de-cat centre section, as well as Prodrive silencer? In which case, you definitely don't want to be putting a catted exhaust on in it's place!

Incidentally, a resonated centre section is basically a de-cat with a resonator, to help reduce the noise level a bit...
Old 16 July 2004, 10:00 AM
Ianwales
Scooby Regular

Ok, so I got under the car last night and patched up the whole with some exhaust putty to aleviate the problem for the time being!

According to Subaru in Twyford (Bulldog) the centre section on the RB5 is the same as a regular scoob only the back box is different as it is Prodrive.

The centre section contains two 'bulges' the first after the downpipes certainly looks like a CAT, the second I presume to be a silencer. So I am guessing this is the same as a regular scoob, in which case someone should make a replacement part!
Old 16 July 2004, 10:57 AM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

I thought the WR Sport version of the RB5 had the same components as a PPP'd MY99/00 - ECU, Prodrive intercooler hose, decat centre section, Prodrive silencer? Have you got the whole package, or just the silencer?

Irrespective of what's on now, speak to Hayward & Scott and get a stainless steel decat centre section for about £70/£80 + VAT + P&P. Or go with the Group Buy in the link above, and decat the downpipe as well...
Old 16 July 2004, 11:16 AM
Ianwales
Scooby Regular

I too thought that the WR version of the RB5 had all the same components as the PPP but the centre section looks like it has a CAT to me. Otherwise why is there a large box at the start of the centre sec after the downpipes?
Definitely has a prodrive back box.

If I replace the centre section with a decat version then I understand it will pass the MOT provided it has standard downpipes which also have a cat?

However, if I then need to replace downpipes in the future I would need to get replacements containing a CAT which is very expensive is it not?
Old 16 July 2004, 12:08 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Have you checked that you've got the Prodrive intercooler hose? And I believe there should be a pink STi sticker on the ECU (if you can be arsed to look!).

From what you've described, it sounds like a standard OEM centre section. Although the resonated de-cat centre section also has a large box somewhere in it...

If I replace the centre section with a decat version then I understand it will pass the MOT provided it has standard downpipes which also have a cat?
Yep, that's right. Assuming your downpipe cat is healthy. It's certainly bigger than the one in the centre section, which is why most people remove that one first, as it's the most restrictive part of the exhaust sysem.

However, if I then need to replace downpipes in the future I would need to get replacements containing a CAT which is very expensive is it not?
Can it be repaired enough to swap back at the time of MOT? If so, get a de-cat centre section, repair your OEM pipe, and keep it somewhere safe. If not, you could get a centre section with a high flow cat in it, which will allow you to de-cat the downpipe whenever you're ready to, and still pass the MOT. But they're expensive. Or, when you decide to de-cat the downpipe, just keep the old downpipe you take off, and swap back at MOT time (although a bit harder and more time consuming than swapping the centre section over...).
Old 16 July 2004, 01:20 PM
Dibs
Scooby Regular

I have a MY99 PPP and my centre section started to blow just before the MOT in April. I replaced it with a straight through centre from Hayward and Scott - a good price with free fitting too! It's slightly louder, but to be honest you'll hardly notice it.

Also, the PPP centre and standard centre do (externally) look exactly the same. My brother replaced his on his standard MY99 and it's not until we took them off the car to compare that you can see the cat in the standard one.

Hope this helps ;-)
Old 16 July 2004, 02:35 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Also, the PPP centre and standard centre do (externally) look exactly the same.
That makes sense, nice one. So the PPP centre section is resonated by the sounds of it.

It's slightly louder, but to be honest you'll hardly notice it.
De-cat the downpipe, then you'll notice it...!
Old 16 July 2004, 02:37 PM
Ianwales
Scooby Regular

Ok, thanks folks.

Think I'll go with buying the Hayward and Scott decat centre for the time being and patch and keep the old centre incase I need it in the future.
Old 16 July 2004, 04:00 PM
Dibs
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Ianwales
Ok, thanks folks.

Think I'll go with buying the Hayward and Scott decat centre for the time being and patch and keep the old centre incase I need it in the future.
That's what I did, although I soon got the downpipe too. It makes a big difference in noise and power without the cat ;-)
Old 16 July 2004, 04:06 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

It makes a big difference in noise and power without the cat
Ooooooooh yeah...!