Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Best Boost Map for my Setup, John B, Rich W ETC :O)

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 11:48 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Boost Map for my Setup, John B, Rich W ETC :O)

Hello All

Right then after my engine giving up on me and expecting it back soon from API with a New V9 STI 2.0 Block and the rest re-cond'd.. Head etc. I will not be able to spend much more money on it for a while. I was going to go FPR, injectors, ECU etc etc.

So going to stick with current setup :-

93 WRX - Soon to have STI V9 BLOCK Inc Pistons/crank.
HKS FMIC
HKS FCD
HKS Air Intake
VF34 Turbo (new)
Z4 ECU with Uni-chip
3" Full system de-cat
Uprated Walbro Fuel Pump
Dawes at 1.1 Bar
4pots, drilled & grooved.

What I am thinking of doing to make the most of my setup (after running in period of course) is to fit a EBC which can map boost to RPM. Probably the Apexi model.

At the moment I was running 1.1 bar to redline which gave a nice smooth curve.. What I am looking for is peak Torque/BHP lower and a shorter power band, but more aggresive.... Big boost low down....

John banks has advised me that expecting to run 1.4 bar up to the redline (with upgraded injectors,ecu) would probably be expecting too much of this turbo.

So what I am thinking of doing is fitting the EBC and running more boost down low which shouldn't be a problem with my 380's and going down to 1.0 bar at 6K

So what I require from you, the very helpful techies on hear is to suggest what I can run at each 500rpm setting.

Say 1.4 bar at 4K, then 1.2 at 5K 1.0 at 6K etc. I know there are probaby equations to use here... I.E RPM,Injector Duty, boost level etc.

Also whilst at API, David is porting my headers and up-pipe for me.. So hopefully I will get a lower spool on turbo... which will be nice

So come on guys... how do I work this out... Actually work it out for me and show me how you did it Please, thankyou... Sir!!

Cheers

Rob

Last edited by Trebor69; 08 July 2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:05 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id get the unichip remapped properly.. IMHO..

I Believe Owen Developments would be the best place for that.
Old 09 July 2004, 01:45 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Wallis
Id get the unichip remapped properly.. IMHO..

I Believe Owen Developments would be the best place for that.
I will be running with Uni-chip disconnected and .6 bar until running in period is over. Then I will run at 1.0 bar and refit uni-chip and get that mapped.

Then I want to fit EBC, setup boost map to recommendations and then get uni-chip remapped..

I may well just get EBC fitted and fit Uni-chip at same time, all depends on Dosh......

Just need to know how much boost at each 500 RPM I can run safely...

Also, will be using Octane booster with Optimax, was just using optimax before.

I am right in thinking in that you dont need as much fueling at 4K rpm than 7K rpm... So hence more boost down low, less at High rpm..

Where abouts are Owen developments. I currently use Powerstation as live 10 miles away in Gloucester

Rob

Last edited by Trebor69; 09 July 2004 at 01:47 AM.
Old 09 July 2004, 07:45 AM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

Owen Developments are in Oxford.

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk
Old 09 July 2004, 09:29 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

The mapper will be able to map your Unichip and Boost controller and get a nice setup from the feedback and results they are getting from the engine.
Old 09 July 2004, 09:38 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=stevem2k]Owen Developments are in Oxford.

http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk[/QUOTE]

Owens no longer do the Unichip ' because they are too busy with Motec and other bespoke systems ' I imagine that they figured out that 3/4 of a day to fit a Unichip at £650 plus VAT against a full day fitting a Motec at £2500 is no contest from a business point of view.

G force in Aylesbury 01296 434084, do them or J Noble Motorsport in Chesterfield 01246 272749, that I know of.

David API Engines / API Impreza
Old 09 July 2004, 12:06 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the helpful replies..

Can't wait to get my car back... Think I'm getting depresssed without my daily FIX

I know the above ways are the way to go... But I would like a straight yes/no answer that I can run more boost deffo down low ... and probably how much....

I was running 1.1 bar all the way to redline before and peak torque and power was quite a way up the rpm scale about 6K,, would like to bring that down a lot........

Stop teasing me guys LOLOLOLOL

Cheers
Rob

Last edited by Trebor69; 09 July 2004 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09 July 2004, 12:46 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Right then spoke to above people and this is what they suggested....

Fit:

FPR

440/550 injectors

Uni-chip boost controller

They advised that the Uni-chip can handle bigger injectors (albiet my local place said no-way fit a MOTEC!)

The Uni-chip can't adjust the map for starting/idle so the FPR will help out here.

Then map the uni-chip and boost controller, This will allow me to run higher boost mid range with adequate fueling... Probably looking at 1.4/5 bar mid range and 1.1/1.2 and redline......

This wouldn't be breaking the bank too much also..

Whats your thoughts guys....

Appernatly the Uni-chip can adjust fueling +/- 50 % so hence as long as injectors don't go outside that the Uni-chip can adjust....

Rob

P.S Only downside is that I couldn't run 2 levels of boost like I could with a seperate EBC....
Old 09 July 2004, 01:11 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hold on.. Hold on... Getting carried away again...

don't want to go injectors route now... can't really afford it...... but .. !!! No No No No NO!

This is what I am going to do.

Fit Fuel pressure reg, Fit uni-chip boost controller , stay with standard injectors, get Uni-Chip & boost controller Mapped..... Probably looking at 1.4 miderange, 1.2 high range... This is what I have been advised.. Maybe less when they get mapping it...

I have done a search for equation to work out, Rpm + boost = how much fuel is needed, how much can 380's supply with FPR... Anyone??

Rob

Last edited by Trebor69; 09 July 2004 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11 July 2004, 12:08 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Anyone got he equation I need??? Please Please Please

Cheers
Rob
Old 11 July 2004, 12:57 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Not heard you mention a knocklink yet? Given you've lost and engine, and are modifying, that would be the first thing on my list?
Old 11 July 2004, 01:18 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbo_Steve
Not heard you mention a knocklink yet? Given you've lost and engine, and are modifying, that would be the first thing on my list?
Hello Steve

Allready have knocklink and AFR on top of my list m8....

Cheers for the reminder though...

Am going to tinker with knocklink and AFR as Electronics is my Job... Try to see if I can fit electonics into 52/60mm gauge.. Knocklink at top, AFR at bottom.. The l.e.d's that is.... Don't like look of current knocklink, tis quite big n ugly....
Old 21 July 2004, 12:09 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Hello All...

This post been hanging around for a while now and I aint got the information I need yet, anyon eout there help/advise me...

Cheers

Rob
Old 21 July 2004, 10:39 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?

you can remote mount the leds no probs.

its more a case of how many cc's are required per bhp.. speak to mark at lateral if you havent allready got a reg and he will advise

David
Old 21 July 2004, 11:58 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

you can remote mount the leds no probs.

its more a case of how many cc's are required per bhp.. speak to mark at lateral if you havent allready got a reg and he will advise

David
Hmmm, My very local place is Powerstation... I phoned them and aksed about fitting Fuel pressure reg, they say never fit them as cause lots of problems.... Idle etc etc???

???

Rob
Old 21 July 2004, 01:47 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think it's something like

injector flow rating x no. of injectors x duty cycle / 5.5

so

380 x 4 x 0.9 / 5.5 = 249 bhp ... seems low. That is at 90 % injector duty cycle. 5.5 cc/bhp, on 380 cc/min injectors.
( 280 bhp on 100% duty ... other people use 5 cc/bhp which would allow more ... ) The FPR ( increasing fuel pressure ) will allow you to make the injectors seem like 400 or 440's IIRC.

Search on here and you will find these calcs, think it was one of John Banks threads?
Old 21 July 2004, 02:38 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Extra fuel pressure will increase flow (assuming fuel pump and reg up to the job) by the square root of the multiplier.

380s at 4 bar rather than 3 bar will theoretically flow like 440s.

Walbro pump will be up to it, but FSE reg not as you will go to 5.4 bar at 1.4 bar boost. You'll need a fancier reg. Might be cheaper using the standard reg and getting some 440 or 550s and a Walbro pump?
Old 21 July 2004, 05:03 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by john banks
Extra fuel pressure will increase flow (assuming fuel pump and reg up to the job) by the square root of the multiplier.

380s at 4 bar rather than 3 bar will theoretically flow like 440s.

Walbro pump will be up to it, but FSE reg not as you will go to 5.4 bar at 1.4 bar boost. You'll need a fancier reg. Might be cheaper using the standard reg and getting some 440 or 550s and a Walbro pump?
Hello

I have a Walbro uprated pump fitted allready, what G-Force have told me is this. Fit a Fuel pressure reg, Fit a mappable gems boost controller and 3 port solenoid. I have just had headers and up-pipe ported and 3" scoobysport centre and rear fitted to my HKS 3" downpipe, All decatted...... They reckon with my VF34 will be able to run 1.4/1.5 bar boost mid range, going down to 1.2/1.3 top end. Looking at 320BHP with 320Lb torque, Not wanting to go more than that as fear my GBox will blow....

Internals should handle this easy as have just had a new V9 STI block/crank/pistons fitted...

What you reckon?

Rob
Old 21 July 2004, 05:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Seems reasonable. How much is the GEMS boost controller and does it need to go with a GEMS ECU or will they remap your Unichip for you?
Old 21 July 2004, 05:53 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

BTW I wouldn't mount the AFR and KL LEDs in the same gauge pod (if thats what I think you suggested) You wouldn't be able to distinguish between the 2 using pherical vision if they are too close together.
Old 21 July 2004, 09:14 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay m A
BTW I wouldn't mount the AFR and KL LEDs in the same gauge pod (if thats what I think you suggested) You wouldn't be able to distinguish between the 2 using pherical vision if they are too close together.
Good Idea m8, didn't think of that one...

The Gems boost controller works seperately (doesn't need gems ECU)

So I'd be running boost via gems controller and 3 port solenoid.

Mapping of Fueling/Ignition via Uni-chip which can +/- fuel to 50% and timing to 25% +/-

Cost to supply & fit FPR, gems boost controller, RR and setup Uni-Chip and boost controller £600 .... How does that sound... I was tempted to go up North to Jap Innovations, but it is a long long way from me ....

Rob
Old 22 July 2004, 12:45 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

doesnt sound too bad.. what warranty?

David
Old 22 July 2004, 07:14 AM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

doesnt sound too bad.. what warranty?

David
David, Thats a very good question...... Forgot about that one, thanks!!!

I was tempted (by being offered too much) going a complete ECU route Gems, Apexi etc... But as I am mapping to gearbox to say... I think I would be spending a lot more money but still getting same power/torque output... If I had a stronger gerbox (6speed and diff) I think it would be a different matter... Am I correct?

Cheers

Rob
Old 22 July 2004, 10:09 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

not really.. just because you have a mappable ecu, doesnt mean you need to map the nuts off it..

There are allways other options, just do what you are comfortable with.
Old 22 July 2004, 06:29 PM
Trebor69
Scooby Regular

not really.. just because you have a mappable ecu, doesnt mean you need to map the nuts off it..

There are allways other options, just do what you are comfortable with.
Hello David, what I mean't was as I only want to go to 300ish BHP and 300 ish Torque so I don't start blowing gearbox's etc, I should be able to get that easy with uni-chip remap and current mods..... So hence fitting a proper full blown ECU like Gems,Apexi would be a waste of money, better spent on shocks etc... When I say waste... You know what I mean!!

Cheers

Rob