Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

£2500 for an engine?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 08:25 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default £2500 for an engine?

the big end has gone on my forester turbo s/tb,just rang grade A subaru to see what they had in. the guy said that they had a sti version 4 engine that would drop stright in,in exchange for my engine and £2500.

the question is

will it just drop in? personally i dont think it will

what is a version 4?

and does this seem like a good price?

i was thinking of upgrading now this has happened,the forester was running at about 260bhp,so would this sti engine give me much more?

sorry about it sounding a little vage,as im not that technically minded

cheers guys

dannytwo
Old 08 July 2004, 08:50 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dannytwo, What year is your Forester? That will determine whether the STi 4 engine will fit.

There won't be any power benefit until you get the ECU remapped which, I think I'm correct in saying, will require a piggyback or 'scoobyecu' type upgrade to be able to achieve.

There are better [ more powerful ] cams in the STi engine, but the computer has to know that there are better parts in the engine and can't figure it out for itself. The power comes from the ECU and the Turbo and your turbo will be a tiddly little TD04 which is about 1/2 teaspoon size. [ Not derogatory just a fact ] The STi 4 engine will be better but you'll need to spend quite a bit more to see the benefit.

A fully rebuilt engine from us for your car will be no more than £1695.00 plus VAT no matter what year it is.

If I can help give me a call.

David API Engines / API Impreza
Old 08 July 2004, 09:04 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

the year is my97

david,could i get the same power gains out off my rebuilt engine,as i could out of a sti engine,if i was to mod it?
Old 08 July 2004, 09:20 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

oh forgot to say that the turbo is included with the sti engine
Old 08 July 2004, 09:43 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Dannytwo,

I'd think carefully about what you want for the Forrester. It would be all too easy to end up with a car that doesn't virtually nowt below 3K RPM and catches fire (figuratively ) just before 4K RPM.

Them Forresters are heavier than Imprezas and ISTR they have a turbo smaller than a TD04 (TD35?). I imagine there's not a log of lag and it's tractable from virtually no revs.

J.
Old 08 July 2004, 10:23 PM
stevem2k
Scooby Regular

danny has a JDM , so it is/was a TD04

Steve
Old 08 July 2004, 10:47 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

You could buy a 2.5 short motor for between 1.1-1.4k

Mark A
Old 08 July 2004, 11:01 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

mark A

any idea where from mate,as i was thinking of that as an option
Old 09 July 2004, 10:19 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

You could buy a 2.5 short motor for between 1.1-1.4k
You could but unless you build the engine up yourself it gets very ££££.
Old 09 July 2004, 10:43 AM
WHYAYEGTI
Scooby Regular

I know where there is a breakers yard with a relatively late year forester turbo engine in Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Gavin
Old 09 July 2004, 10:55 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny,
If you fit the STi4 engine then you'll need the ECU as well (if it is compatible with the Forester), the STi MAF & injectors (if not already with the engine). The S/tb already has the STi intercooler though.
You'll then have to ensure that det doesn't occur - so dose with Octane booster - or get an ECU as per Davids advice.
The S/tb has excellent low rev torque - so much so that you only get cars running 320/330 bhp that'll beat it for torque 2000-3000 rpm.
As its a heavier car than the Impreza you'll feel it slower until the torque has picked up, especially as it has the same gearbox ratios as UK cars.
The Forester suffers from its shape above 90 mph so the top end power will only see a modest performance increase.
All in all, you will have a 280 bhp car, but it will have a drop in performance for normal driving conditions.

I would recommend that you just get a new or overhauled EJ20G bottom end, keep the special TD04 turbo (or use the std Impreza TD04), get slightly bigger injectors and new fuel pump, decat or sports cat and get a Unichip or whatever can be used on the MY97/98 types.

Nick
Old 10 July 2004, 04:27 PM
Mark A
Scooby Regular

I may have a spare US STi engine in the next couple of days. Its a short motor so you need to fit your heads and ideally put together by somebody sensible. If your intersted PM me

BTW somebody had a brand new EJ20 crank on E-Bay a couple of days ago and at the time it was only £70!!!!

Mark A
Old 11 July 2004, 01:37 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

To be honest, danny, unless you're really going to modify the heck out of the Forrester, you might as well save your pennies and go for something more sensible. A WRX engine is just as viable, and usually a lot cheaper. The standard WRX engines are more than capable of 300bhp with the right mods, (turbo, injectors, intercooler, ECU remap, fuel pump, reg etc etc) all of which you would have to do on the STi anyway. Bear in mind that above 330bhp or so, you're going to start having to worry about how long the gearbox is going to hold out, so unless you're looking at going big-money-spends, I'd save your cash and slap a standard non-sti engine in from David at API, and consider using the money you save to 300bhp or so, which is more than adequate for the forrester. Too much more than that and you will need to do a LOT of supporting mods: brakes, suspension, expensive tyres etc, all just to get the car to keep up with the power and not be a pig to drive.

This is all IMHO of course: If you wanted a better drive, the 2.5 short motor with a small (but bigger than your TD04) turbo (TD05? VF34?) should see you with more than 300bhp, near instant spool and MASSES of torque.
However this option is still going to need injectors, fuel pump, reg, an aftermarket ECU, a LOT of labour, an engine builders time ( a lot of it! ) a lot of time ironing out bugs, and a VERY deep wallet.

As I said, I think, if it was my money, I'd get a cheaper engine and spend the rest on a remap of your existing ECU and a few supporting mods.
Old 11 July 2004, 08:06 PM
dannytwo
Scooby Regular

cheers for all your help guys