Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

MY97 UK Turbo Wagon what ECU Upgrades are avail?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2004, 11:55 AM
c5_wagon_work
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY97 UK Turbo Wagon what ECU Upgrades are avail?

What is the best possible ECU upgrade for my MY97 Price v's Performance. I have gathered that the MY97 UK Car is different from other cars ECU's? Can anyone shed any light.. I am in the Durham area and would like to see a modified UK Turbo in action if anyone is willing to show off there car....

Peter
Old 08 July 2004, 12:26 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

I have a UK97 Saloon and was going down the same route. Power Engineering told me they could do something with the ECU and map it for £650.00 plus vat or something. Quoted 270bhp as a result. Whilst I was toying with this I was thankfully approached by Rich Wild (now of Jap Innovations) who had the same model and talked me through a few tuning alternatives. Bought mainly second hand bits to achieve 300bhp (more when conditions allow) which has been very reliable.

Perhaps you could have a word with Rich. He's very approachable and gives excellent advice.

'info@jap-innovations.co.uk'
Old 08 July 2004, 01:51 PM
c5_wagon_work
Scooby Regular

Cheers m8 will do. What sort of mods are we talking about on your car?
Old 08 July 2004, 02:32 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

RLE, I'd be interested to know as well - I have an MY98 which also falls into the awkward remap territory.

As far as I can see the Power Engineering website is the only one which talks about mods for our model years without going for the Motec/GEMS route, which look to be v. expensive. Any alternatives would be welcome
Old 08 July 2004, 03:30 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

C5/ Mike

Yes looks like we are the black sheep of the ECU world although I'm pretty sure someone on here used to do an upgrade for them at a quite reasonable price. Sure someone will know once they see the thread.

Anyway in terms of modifications already had full decat. I scrapped my Blitz air filter and immediately noticed a smoother response (personal opinion). Following a chat with Rich gave the car a full service to ensure everything was ok....didn't want problems later. Started with a set of Samco hoses and an HKS EVC boost controller along with the obligatory saftey devices (boost gauge, knock-link and Llambda). With around 1.2 boost think I was looking at around 280 bhp. Next modifications included Front Entry TD05 turbo, uprated fuel pump and fuel cut. Increased boost to 1.3 (IIRC) (very rarely run it on high boost) and called it a day. Sundays rolling road produced 296 bhp but we were all slightly disappointed about the air quality and the fact that the rain didn't help with the grip on the rollers. I'm confident that with the right conditions I'd see a conservative 310bhp.

Next step would be to change the intercooler and possibly injectors but I realise that starts to get expensive and would exceed my original budget anyway. Looking for a new car later this year as well so you have to draw the line. One thing that I had to upgrade under duress was the clutch and went AP to cope with the added power.

I know you probably think this was really expensive but when you consider I bought all the bits from Scoobynet users (except clutch and Samcos) with change from £775.00 it didn't seem too bad.

Once again I cant recommend Rich enough and being a complete novice (ok idiot) when it comes to tuning and knowing whats what his help has proved invaluable. If I can be of any more help just shout!

Regards

Rob
Old 09 July 2004, 01:13 PM
TIMHAN2001
Scooby Regular

RLE - Was down at well lane on Sun too but didn't manage to get on the rollers. I've got a my98 with similar mods (except for TD05) and was just wondering if you can tell me exactly what pressure the boost cut kicks in? I've got a manual boost controller and by my guages it's holding 1.2 bar in 5th, isn't this a bit high or is it more likely that the guages aren't quite accurate (Defi's)?
Old 09 July 2004, 01:23 PM
TIMHAN2001
Scooby Regular

RLE - Also, got a Blitz filter but was thinking of changing it, what did you go for? Cheers
Old 09 July 2004, 02:08 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Tim,

My boost is all over (well the reading is on the gauges) ordering some HKS ones I think to get that sorted. Thought your Defi's would be fairly accurate though but 1.2?? Does seem high. Does it regularly hold the 1.2? I'm not to sure if I'm honest.

Had the Blitz stainless on originally. Plenty of people run them without any problems but it caused some air flow issues with me. Took it off and replaced with standard panel filter which I found to suit me better. Plus I was glad to get shut of the induction roar as well.

Think you'd be happy with the TD05 if you decided to upgrade. Found it to be a bit laggy lower down the rev range but once on boost it pulls really well to the redline. Torque and mid range certainly improved.
Old 09 July 2004, 02:36 PM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

Fuel cut on UK MY97/98 ECU is 1.25bar.

Andrew...
Old 09 July 2004, 02:42 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Cheers Andrew.

Thought it was about 1.2 when I bought the Fuel Cut just couldn't remember.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 09 July 2004, 02:59 PM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

For a little more than it would cost you to get the PE conversion done you could have an Apexi Power FC fitted and mapped by Andy F, a MUCH better option.