Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Fitting 550cc Injectors Phase 1 Engine Adaptor question

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2004, 04:51 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fitting 550cc Injectors Phase 1 Engine Adaptor question

I have the fitting kit for the above which contains 2 aluminium adaptors for each injector, The larger adaptor fits over the injectors body, The smaller with 2 external O rings does not seem to fit anywhere ( i have not stripped down yet, just wheying things up) is this adaptor for a different Phase ?? Or will it become more apparent where it goes when i strip the old ones out .

Thanks

Dean
Old 07 July 2004, 05:53 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

The piccy below shows how my adaptor collars fitted the injectors - It may differ slightly from yours as I machined my own collars

Hope that makes more sense

Cheers
Old 08 July 2004, 03:25 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Cheers,

Makes a lot more sense, The smaller collars had slipped inside each other in the bag, Seperated them & i could see they fitted as your picture describes,

Cheers Again

Dean
Old 08 July 2004, 07:18 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Dean - when are you fitting them ? I'd appreciate any post install tips - as you know, hoping to do mine next week (when they've arrived....)

Mark
Old 11 July 2004, 09:06 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
Dean - when are you fitting them ? I'd appreciate any post install tips - as you know, hoping to do mine next week (when they've arrived....)

Mark
Mark,

I was going to leave it as close to the Remap as poss, My Ecu wil be towards the end of the month.

Dean
Old 11 July 2004, 09:25 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Good Idea... Andy advised me not to leave it until the day before, in case of any issues, but no point driving round for weeks with them on...

Mine didn't arrive last week,(not sure when they were posted), so I'm hoping they'll come soonish...

My car is now TD05'd and a re-map (Plus ECU/AVC-R) is booked on Aug 8th in Edinburgh...

I've fitted the fuel Reg too, but didn't do the pump today (went to see Shrek2) - had to replace the spring clips on the water hose with Jubilees to be secure (off the Turbo).

Cheers,

Mark

PS _ I'll be fitting a set of NGK PFR7B's at the same time as the injectors - cos my 30K service is due in around 6K, so the 6Bs in there are due for a change I reckon
Old 12 July 2004, 09:38 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Good Idea... Andy advised me not to leave it until the day before, in case of any issues, but no point driving round for weeks with them on...

Mine didn't arrive last week,(not sure when they were posted), so I'm hoping they'll come soonish...

My car is now TD05'd and a re-map (Plus ECU/AVC-R) is booked on Aug 8th in Edinburgh...

I've fitted the fuel Reg too, but didn't do the pump today (went to see Shrek2) - had to replace the spring clips on the water hose with Jubilees to be secure (off the Turbo).

Cheers,

Mark

PS _ I'll be fitting a set of NGK PFR7B's at the same time as the injectors - cos my 30K service is due in around 6K, so the 6Bs in there are due for a change I reckon
I'll probably fit them a week before just incase there are any issues, Fitted my pfr7b's Sat morning, Seems to have a little splutter now after standing all night when it is first started, Put it down to the plugs running cooler as mine were 6b before...
Mark , you need to get your priorities sorted you know Modding comes before anything else, especially the pictures . Does your car now feel like it does not have a turbo fitted now with the Td05 on ?? as they are laggy compared to the Td04 & how tempted must you be to plant the right foot to here her sing

Dean
Old 12 July 2004, 11:08 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Interesting about the 7bs - Can't have it both ways I guess.. Did you change the gap or leave at the preset - I have a 'gapping tool', but know that the plats can be fragile...

It actually feels like its stronger at the low revs (not sure why). I'm driving under 4K and 0.2bar, but can only assume the greater flow capacity of the 05 is helping (?) -

Too right about the temptation though - had to follow 2 lorries for 35 miles this morning at 40mph in a 60 limit - REALLY looking forward to that, twice a day for 4 weeks ! - would've been nice just to go past - I've no restrictor in at the moment, so it'll be self limiting to 0.7bar - just don't want to risk it though..

Mark
Old 12 July 2004, 11:44 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Interesting about the 7bs - Can't have it both ways I guess.. Did you change the gap or leave at the preset - I have a 'gapping tool', but know that the plats can be fragile...

It actually feels like its stronger at the low revs (not sure why). I'm driving under 4K and 0.2bar, but can only assume the greater flow capacity of the 05 is helping (?) -

Too right about the temptation though - had to follow 2 lorries for 35 miles this morning at 40mph in a 60 limit - REALLY looking forward to that, twice a day for 4 weeks ! - would've been nice just to go past - I've no restrictor in at the moment, so it'll be self limiting to 0.7bar - just don't want to risk it though..

Mark
Stronger at Low revs , thats good, Mine does actually , It's just the got used to it factor, Gapped the plugs to .6 as per Andys destructions, Thought i would be clever & change them from underneath (easier access having headers on) to save removing my intercooler pipework, Maf, Water bottle etc, Even more fiddly so removed all anyway, was so tempted to put the injectors in aswell as i had easy access then, Hmm stuck behind lorries , really frustrating, Never mind you will have to make amends when all is complete & always strive to be at the front of a line of traffic After all a car infront is something to overtake
Old 12 July 2004, 01:00 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Yes - Think I'll do injectors and plugs at the same time - from above - .. I'll gap to .6 then I guess - (tap on the workbench job ?).

I know what you mean about the car in front - oh well, the car will feel REALLY quick once I've driven it like this for a month (unless the bottom end or gearbox go )

Mark
Old 08 August 2004, 11:09 AM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

How did the PowerFC / AVC-R / 550's and remapping today go on Mark ?
Old 09 August 2004, 12:13 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vulnax999
How did the PowerFC / AVC-R / 550's and remapping today go on Mark ?
Yes, come on Mark, never mind enjoying all that extra power, how does it feel ?? Get on scoobynet now

Dean
Old 10 August 2004, 12:14 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Firstly, let me thank AndyF for a great service - He collected the car from my hotel and returned there, so I could enjoy the Edinburgh Sunshine !

The drive up was fine and Sunday was great - unfortunately, its pi..ed it down since I had the car back, so my driving has been somewhat restricted...

Andy phoned me about an hour before bringing the car back, because there was an issue getting boost early in lower gears. We think that this is down to the very high underbonnet temps, or maybe a leaky d/v (I'm still on the standard plastic jobby).

Anyhow, I've ordered a forge replacement d/v and I'll kit the car out with an induction scoop and box once David Reids back from his summer hols ...

Having said all that, the car still drives well - I've found that I've not used full throttle or revs yet (partly down to the weather), but a sense of urgency has been returned to it !

It pulls very strongly and the exhaust note, which was already deep, is now deeper still, almost a growl - which is nice

As stevebt said, the change from td04 to 05 may take a little getting used to - no more pulling from junctions in third at 1,500 revs (!), but the top end is v. different too - no running out of steam ! I'll report back when I've driven it for a couple of days (hopefully when theres tarmac and not a lake to drive on) and also when I've fitted the D/V and air cooling jobs.

In fact, I'm going for a blast now I reckon - even though I'm at work - I'll take a quick half hour lunch.... (Must admit to being a bit too excited to sleep last night, wanted to go for a drive )

Mark

PS _ I'm running the AVC-R on the 'dial' display, with boost and revs - looks COOL
Old 10 August 2004, 01:10 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Just been for a 'razz' - Defo quicker !

BUT - on the return journey, the hose between the first and second hard pipes on the FMIC came off again - fortunately, I was able to get to a parking area, without too much fuss, and re-placed it... I think that the second pipe is moving toward the front of the car with the boost and the first pipe (attached to the turbo) is rocking back as the throttle is engaged, so they pull apart ...

I've fastened the front pipe to the inner wing, with a cable tie, so I'll see if it happens again (and if it snaps the cable tie). If its just boost moving the second pipe, it'll hold - if not, I'll do some digging - the bottom of that pipe is connected to the FMIC, which is bolted to the car body, so it shouldn't be moving at that end (other than a twist...)...

I might get some samco hose of the correct diameter from Demon Tweeks (but longer) to give it a bit of a hand...

Mark
Old 10 August 2004, 03:10 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Mark,

Glad to hear all went Ok & defo shame about the weather, Hopefully the forge will sort your boost issues, How was the tickover etc on the drive up using the 550's ??,
I think once you have driven it properly over some familiar roads you will notice the difference...

Right wheres Andy with My Ecu

Dean
Old 10 August 2004, 04:06 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Actually drove better on the 550s at 2bar (fuel pressure) than the 380s at 3bar (during the off-boost driving weeks, prior to mapping, but after turbo fitment).

Had NO probs at all driving up - nice and steady to accelerate and kept around 80 on the motorway. Smooth tickover (again - better than 380s) and the fuel economy was good too - as was starting - seemed to start at first turn - now takes a couple of winds...

Anyhow - sunny outside at the mo - I'm off home - to try it out and see if that hose stays put !

Mark