Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Engine Flush...Why the big Taboo....?.

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2004, 07:19 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Flush...Why the big Taboo....?.

Guys,Why the big taboo on engine flush,On these engines please....?.

Surely if caution is taken,Only ran for 10 or so minutes without any harsh accelorations etc....Should`nt this do the internals good rather than harm...?.I know of a scooby garage,That not only rebuilds the engines,Gearboxes,services...And Rallies one As seen on tv numerous times..That recomend a flush before putting in new oil everytime.....?.And never had a problem.

Last edited by WRX STI Type RA.; 28 June 2004 at 07:24 PM.
Old 28 June 2004, 07:49 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I am slightly perplexed on this too.

There is a general issue when it's used in engine of "unknown" condition or badly maintained. Where sludge deposits are loosed and end up blocking the oil pickup causing oil starvation and poor oil pressure.

Also TBH, if you change the oil regulary enough (before it starts getting visibly dirty), you should never need to flush it.

As for why it's a big no no for scoobies, I aint got a clue, probably something to do with those lovely big ends we hear about so often
Old 28 June 2004, 08:10 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

The senario,I`m faced with is....I have a hydraulic lifter thats blocked,I have tried several oil changes,To no avail,And using,a weighty 10w/60 made things worse..(Noisier)Making me think the feed hole,Being partly blocked,The thicker viscosity oil getting less into the lifter....So i`m wondering if i shoul give the engine a quick flush...To see if this will remove the debris...Using care.....The only other way is to remove and renew the lifter in question....Would you give the flush a try....?.Kev.
Old 28 June 2004, 08:55 PM
dij
Scooby Regular

I seem to recall an SN member suggesting to add AT transmission fluid as a flushing agent.
Dont quote me on that though.

Not sure why flushing with regular engine flush is such an issue,but I would suspect it has something to do with reducing the engines reliability.
Old 28 June 2004, 08:59 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes think apidavid recommended 500ml of atf to the oil (drain some first tho). run this for 100 miles then flush? do a search and read davids instructions.
Old 28 June 2004, 09:28 PM
WRX STI Type RA.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jjones
yes think apidavid recommended 500ml of atf to the oil (drain some first tho). run this for 100 miles then flush? do a search and read davids instructions.
Yes...I have tried this,Covered 75mls to date...To no avail i`m affraid.....I know the debris got into the lifter by doing a flush..(So i`m perhaps ..answering my own question here)...But,I have been told to do another flush to try a remove the blocked lifter again......
Old 28 June 2004, 11:29 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Forté do a "Top end" Treatment

Probably ATF - like Dave previously mentioned about other lifter treatments. I never really looked (just pour it it )...but I'll open one and have a look and sniff just out of curiosity!