Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

3 noises - pinking/flapping & tapping & knocking ?!

Search this Thread

Old 25 June 2004, 09:23 AM
JV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 3 noises - pinking/flapping & tapping & knocking ?!

I have a few odd noises on my UK MY99 (PPP).

1. A noise that sounds a bit like "pinking" or rattly/flappy type noise when using gentle - moderate acceleration from 1500rpm - 3000rpm. Sounds worst when bringing the clutch up and pulling away. The clutch was changed 2000 miles ago and the noise existed before then. I have a feeling it may have improved for a bit after then, but has now come back. Also, once in a while I get a short low pitched squeal when pulling away sharpish before properly warmed up.

2. A tapping/ticking noise at all engine speeds and temps (until the exhaust drowns it out). At standstill it sounds like it's coming from the lower drivers side of the engine.

3. A knocking sound at idle when cold which goes to a rattly "grrrrr" when pulling away. I guess from other threads this could be piston slap?

The car is standard except for PPP and decat centre and Ninja back box. It's done around 48,000 miles and always run on Optimax.

Sorry for the vague descriptions but I'm sure someone will have some ideas!
Old 25 June 2004, 01:03 PM
SuperFlyGuy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JV
I have a few odd noises on my UK MY99 (PPP).

1. A noise that sounds a bit like "pinking" or rattly/flappy type noise when using gentle - moderate acceleration from 1500rpm - 3000rpm. Sounds worst when bringing the clutch up and pulling away.
Sounds very much like the heat shield is loose - it's the plate over the top of the turbo. Check the numerous small bolts that hold it in place, or if the down pipe is de-catted check it's not rubbing on the neck of the exhaust

Originally Posted by JV
Also, once in a while I get a short low pitched squeal when pulling away sharpish before properly warmed up.
Mine did this after a clutch replacement. The noise stopped after 3000 miles
Originally Posted by JV
2. A tapping/ticking noise at all engine speeds and temps (until the exhaust drowns it out). At standstill it sounds like it's coming from the lower drivers side of the engine.
You should also hear the same noise down on the other side of the engine from the passenger side. I think this noise is the fuel injector relays clicking on and off
Originally Posted by JV
3. A knocking sound at idle when cold which goes to a rattly "grrrrr" when pulling away. I guess from other threads this could be piston slap?
Possibly. There is a sound file on here somewhere if you do a search where you can hear piston slap to compare
Old 25 June 2004, 08:49 PM
JV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SuperFlyGuy
Sounds very much like the heat shield is loose - it's the plate over the top of the turbo. Check the numerous small bolts that hold it in place, or if the down pipe is de-catted check it's not rubbing on the neck of the exhaust
Right, I've had a look and the lower section on the heat shield that starts below the turbo and it's completely loose . I spent a couple of hours taking the turbo heat shield off to get to it, only to find that there's nothing really there to tighten . I wedged a screw in a gap to stop it flapping about and went on a short drive. The rattling/flapping noise is now not quite so bad. How can I make it more permanent so it doesn't rattle at all? Is it a garage case???

Mine did this after a clutch replacement. The noise stopped after 3000 miles
Ok, mines only done it a few times so hopefully it won't happen again!

You should also hear the same noise down on the other side of the engine from the passenger side. I think this noise is the fuel injector relays clicking on and off
Now that you mention it, I can hear it on the other side, but it just doesn't sound so pronounced.

Possibly. There is a sound file on here somewhere if you do a search where you can hear piston slap to compare
Yes, it sounds like that, but I didn't think MY99 suffered from it?

Cheers for all the answers - has anyone got anything else to add?
Old 25 June 2004, 09:58 PM
vulnax999
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

No.2 sounds like the boost control solenoid, maybe touching something and transmitting the click click ... open bonnet and on tick over just open throttle a bit, you will hear the solenoid start to work and tick... does it sound similar?

The boost control solenoid is the small cylinder with hoses going to it and a wire or two sat on the drivers side suspension turret.