Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

INTERCOOLER ENHANCEMENTS?

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2004, 04:52 PM
LoneGranger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb INTERCOOLER ENHANCEMENTS?

I have to say that I am not too keen on the latest STi Dragster bonnet scoop (love all the others) and wondered if anybody out there had considered adding a panel of high efficiency fans and / or air con matrix above intercooler to compensate for fitting WRX bonnet?!
Also how about cooling fuel with air con copper helix around supply pipe?

Both above controlled by air flow temp sensor to maintain optimum temp.

Any techys out there consider the above could have enough effect to improve on STi scoop when used with more limited WRX scoop? - I will be running PPP s/w - c 305 bhp on 03 STi base

My feeling is that the combustion efficiency and knock avoidance at speeds below when the STi scoop shows improvements over WRX (c 80 mph) could be appreciable whilst offering the more discreet appearance for us mildy crinkly fans. - Lets face it, less 'in your face' looks for the boys in blue and better performance in the real speed range (sub 100 mph.)
Old 22 June 2004, 08:35 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also been a few comments that the 6 speed box gets in the way of air flow through the IC of the STi and laso where there have been 6 spd transplants.
This may also be a an added reason why the large scoop is needed to pick up enough flow to combat the extra restriction.
I would love to know if the WRX scoop , STi splitter and STi IC on a 5 spd WRX is really that much different from flow on a std STi set-up?

Nick
Old 22 June 2004, 10:26 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Maplins sell some 120 mm PC fans ( part no. YZ40T ) that'll do the job. You can mount 3 of them beneath the standard topmount ( on a MY00 anyway ), and control their on/off temp via an intake temp sensor/display, provided the one you choose has an auxiliary relay. The fans are available off the shelf at £15 each, and, although I haven't done it myself ( yet ), a guy on here did, with temp drops of between 6-10 degrees. You could also bypass the water pipes that heat the throttle body ( done this, can't believe Hants ever gets cold enough to require it ), and, at least on the MY00, tilt the i/c into the airstream with the aid of spacers on the mounting bolts, although yours may have something similar as standard. If you find you can do this, modify the seal to suit. Also, it may be worth considering wrapping the turbo, as it sits more or less directly beneath the i/c, and consequently heats the ( rising ) air, with obvious results. Believe someone on 22b has done this, with positive outcome...I'm about to try this soon, I'll post up the results. They should be reasonably objective, as I monitor intake temps.
Edited to say that I'd fit the bigger scoop anyway, the car will draw enough attention regardless, and you'll get more benefit with or without the above mods.

Last edited by micared; 22 June 2004 at 10:31 PM.
Old 23 June 2004, 10:29 AM
LoneGranger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micared
Maplins sell some 120 mm PC fans ( part no. YZ40T ) that'll do the job. You can mount 3 of them beneath the standard topmount ( on a MY00 anyway ), and control their on/off temp via an intake temp sensor/display, provided the one you choose has an auxiliary relay. The fans are available off the shelf at £15 each, and, although I haven't done it myself ( yet ), a guy on here did, with temp drops of between 6-10 degrees. You could also bypass the water pipes that heat the throttle body ( done this, can't believe Hants ever gets cold enough to require it ), and, at least on the MY00, tilt the i/c into the airstream with the aid of spacers on the mounting bolts, although yours may have something similar as standard. If you find you can do this, modify the seal to suit. Also, it may be worth considering wrapping the turbo, as it sits more or less directly beneath the i/c, and consequently heats the ( rising ) air, with obvious results. Believe someone on 22b has done this, with positive outcome...I'm about to try this soon, I'll post up the results. They should be reasonably objective, as I monitor intake temps.
Edited to say that I'd fit the bigger scoop anyway, the car will draw enough attention regardless, and you'll get more benefit with or without the above mods.
many thanks for detailed reply - what do you think to using the air con - i cant help but think this would have a huge advantage when applied to fuel. i/c spray and matrix itself?!
Old 23 June 2004, 11:35 AM
CustomScoobyIOM
Scooby Regular

Simular thoughts myself although the Nitrous IC spray is doing the job well at the moment.
Old 23 June 2004, 01:34 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

But putting on the air-con saps engine power which kind of defeats the object of the exercise.
Increased airflow and lagging of the turbo should be the first step....or go for a front mount .....They DO work and very well.(no good if you want to keep it looking original though.

steve
Old 23 June 2004, 02:52 PM
LoneGranger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by quicksprint
But putting on the air-con saps engine power which kind of defeats the object of the exercise.
Increased airflow and lagging of the turbo should be the first step....or go for a front mount .....They DO work and very well.(no good if you want to keep it looking original though.

steve
hmm thought about that - I always need air con on when pressing on on a hot day - therefore no additional losses (just reduction in cooling to the cab when engine is working hard)

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2004, 03:51 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Thought about the aircon route as well....trouble with that from a personal point of view is that I had the aircon retrofitted last year at the dealers, and monkeying about with it'll invalidate the warranty, however, from a benefits point of view, I'm sure there's something to be gained.....especially if, as you say, you always have the aircon on anyway ( thought it was just me that did that! ).