Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which D/V with Hybrid FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2004, 08:16 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which D/V with Hybrid FMIC

I'm currently running the standard plastic OEM D/V with the Hybrid FMIC on my 98 UK Turbo, but I'm concerned that it may leak once I've changed the turbo and had the car mapped. I'm aware that these are prone to leak - also, I'm about to replace the makeshift hosework I put in place when fitting the hybrid and don't want to have to replace it again if I buy a new D/V in a few weeks.

I've read that a few people have had probs with various after-market D/Vs on the hybrid, so would like some advice ...

I DON'T want VTA thanks, so re-circs only please.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 20 June 2004, 09:53 PM
quicksprint
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markwild
I'm currently running the standard plastic OEM D/V with the Hybrid FMIC on my 98 UK Turbo, but I'm concerned that it may leak once I've changed the turbo and had the car mapped. I'm aware that these are prone to leak - also, I'm about to replace the makeshift hosework I put in place when fitting the hybrid and don't want to have to replace it again if I buy a new D/V in a few weeks.

I've read that a few people have had probs with various after-market D/Vs on the hybrid, so would like some advice ...

I DON'T want VTA thanks, so re-circs only please.

Cheers,

Mark
Mark,i am running a Bailey Motorsport VTA on mine and have had no problems with it (even on the original TMIC set up),i think they do recirculating type as well.
I have noticed with the FMIC the dump valve is much louder now and was thinking of going the recirculating valve route BUT i am getting use to it so i will stick with the VTA for now
I am very impressed with the performance after fitting the FMIC, how about you?

(Samco do a reducing 90* elbow 38mmx25mm that is ideal to connect the dump valve to the inlet pipe.)

steve

Last edited by quicksprint; 20 June 2004 at 09:56 PM.
Old 20 June 2004, 10:11 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Cheers, I'm going to work out the pipework and visit demon tweeks, as I work round the corner (well, 10 miles or so)...

I wanted to ensure that I had the right valvle before buying the pipework.

I'm impressed enough with the fmic in terms of reduced KL activity, but haven't had the car remapped yet and am still running a TD04 - so overall, I've lost a bit - the map/fuelling wont allow full boost anymore, so not really had the chance to put it to the test....

Thanks,

Mark
Old 20 June 2004, 10:25 PM
new boy
Scooby Regular

i'm impressed!

gone aftermarket re circ also....

ads
Old 21 June 2004, 09:38 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For expediency I fitted a Forge VTA with blue spring but was not happy with it. I then fitted a Forge Recirc, blue spring, then changed to red spring and then with additional shims but when I got to 8mm shims I knew I was going the wrong way.
So I ordered a yellow and green spring, shims and grease but in the interim I came accross a dump valve from a Seat Ibiza which cost nothing and is working well so it is still on at present.
When time permits I will trythe Forge Recirc with the yellow spring first. For my set up it is obvious that a soft spring is what is required.

Mark: My advice would be that if the O/E works satisfactorily then stick with it.
I have a Turbo XS adjustable here that I am happy to loan you to try out. If you want to keep it £85 otherwise post it back when you are finished with it.

I also have for sale the Forge VTA which was on the car for a couple of days only £85 posted.

I fitted a TD05-06 turbo along with the Hybrid plus 550 injectors plus Gruppe-S headers etc etc. and the biggest problem I experienced was compressor surge from the turbo which I had sorted but has now raised its head again, occassionallly, now that the map has been optimised so far.
Old 21 June 2004, 09:47 AM
DreXeL
Scooby Regular

I'm running a Forge VTA with my Hybrid at the moment. As you know I'm having problems with my car at the moment but I don't think they are down to the Forge.
Old 21 June 2004, 10:39 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input chaps. With all the other mods I have planned over the next 2 months, I think I should stay with the oem part, at least until I've had the car mapped.

Hopefully, by then, any problems with the D/V will show themselves, though I've no real reason to suspect an issue at the moment - other than 'reputation'.

Thanks again for your time,

Mark