Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Forge VTA...any probs with having on a Type R?

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2004, 09:00 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Forge VTA...any probs with having on a Type R?

Hi all, getting hold of a Forge VTA valve tommorow to fit onto my MY99 STI Type r ver5. Its coming off a MY01 Bugeye which I assume will fit??

Don't want to get into a long debate about the why's and why not's of having one of these as we all know it is purely a fun and grin factor purchase, but as the car is running about 290bhp and about 19psi boost, would there be any risk of it leaking??

forgive if this is a silly question but just want to be sure.

Speedy opinions appriciated from any other Type R owners and all others as I'm off to collect it tommorow morning from a fellow scoobynetter!!

Thanks all!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by SCOOBNOV; 12 June 2004 at 09:06 PM.
Old 12 June 2004, 09:22 PM
SCOOBNOV
Scooby Regular

anybody!!!!!!!!
Old 12 June 2004, 09:56 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

after just buying a forge VTA dump valve by mistake , im sure these are year specific and a dump valve from a bugeye will be no good for your car as they are listed for your intercooler as 99/00 year , but what do i know someone has probably made a mod for them to fit
Old 12 June 2004, 10:46 PM
Blind Side
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Your problem will be with using a VTA rather than a re-circulating Dump Valve. The STI V5/6 is especially sensitive regarding air/fuel mix and worst case you could end up damaging your engine. Suggest you search for/read some of the previous threads on this issue before you commit yourself. I certainly wouldnt fit one. Forge re-circ maybe, although there is no material differance to the stock valve; just looks pretty.
Old 12 June 2004, 11:03 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

Scoobnov - I have a Type R ver 5 . The subaru fitted dump valve - did you find that it hissed and dumped anyways mine did - it looks like a hole is drilled into it.
Old 13 June 2004, 12:26 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCOOBNOV
Hi all, getting hold of a Forge VTA valve tommorow to fit onto my MY99 STI Type r ver5. Its coming off a MY01 Bugeye which I assume will fit??
Your assumption may be incorrect. The MY01< dumpvalves are a slightly different shape due to the intercooler and inlet manifold being relocated in relation to each other. Whether this is as much of an issue for an atmospheric valve is something you'll just have to suck and see.

Don't want to get into a long debate about the why's and why not's of having one of these as we all know it is purely a fun and grin factor purchase, but as the car is running about 290bhp and about 19psi boost, would there be any risk of it leaking??
Who knows? Some do. That's why you can get the different shims and springs for them. They're not a fit and forget item like the standard one.

Speedy opinions appriciated from any other Type R owners and all others as I'm off to collect it tommorow morning from a fellow scoobynetter!!
Make your mind up. If you "don't want to get into a long debate about the whys and wherefores", why on earth solicit opinions. If you're going to try and fit the thing anyway there is little point any of us wasting time replying to your thread.

If you want my opinion, the car is designed to run with a recirculating valve and VTA's **** the fuelling up. IMO "grin factor" has more to do with getting the car running as good as it can rather than have it make silly noises, but if you want to try it, don't mind us.