Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What Zorst

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 03:53 PM
FragaL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Zorst

Currently have a UK300 PPP and im looking to change the PPP backbox for a slightly bigger/louder exhaust.

Im just wondering if anyone can tell me what is the best to go for, I am really intrested in the Firestorm - is it really really loud? I've also looked at the Ninja, can anyone give me some advise on these two?

Any pics also would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07 June 2004, 04:17 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Went for a Scoobysport (Hayward and Scott) on my MY98. 3.5 inch exit, so it doesn't look too much like a stainless steel bucket hanging off the back of your car .

Fitted at the weekend and it sounds lovely. Not too overt, but gives a lot more bass to the idle sound (imagine a big Harley Davidson), and a lot more throaty when you put your foot down.

Very impressed. You can buy them new direct from H&S for about 325, or plenty come up second hand
Old 07 June 2004, 04:32 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

You two could swap....

look under "backboxes" below

just a thought...........

Last edited by scooby L; 07 June 2004 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07 June 2004, 04:39 PM
FragaL
Scooby Regular

Sounds good - im basically after a 4.5 / 5" jap style pipe that is louder than what i have an if possible one that will give any more bhp.

I'm looking at the Afterburner Vortex and the Firestorm at the moment which seem simalar. Which is best?
Old 07 June 2004, 04:58 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

I'd be surprised if you would gain any more bhp... the prodrive BB is quite free flowing I thought...

I personally like the firestorm, but it's down to personal taste..
Old 07 June 2004, 07:42 PM
pappasmurf
Scooby Regular

Simple.....put on an Afterburner Vortex...big, bold,shiney Jap style angle exit.
Put it on a full decat and you will notice a big difference....it's loud and gives more power.
I had a Ninja on a full decat.....lovely sounding exhaust but i wanted something alittle extra. So i stuck on the Vortex and was amazed at the extra power it seemed to add...just as Scoobyworld claim on their tests. It also makes my Scoob sound like a Spitfire going into battle when i press the throttle.

smurfy.
Old 08 June 2004, 12:01 AM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

I have either had or tried the following mate - HKS Hyper / Prodrive and Afterburner Vortex. The HKS was for the best sound and I was running a full Decat. I have now however gone for a 3.5" H&S ScoobySport BB and D/P and am having the H&S Non Resonated Centre section fitted on Friday - it for me sounds perfect. It is down to personal preference tho mate.

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2004, 10:17 AM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

chaps

This is not to cause an argument, but just to make it clear. The H&S system is NOT the ScoobySport system. It is (aparently) the old system that scoobysport used to sell years ago.

The actual ScoobySport system has increased flow and other benefits which can be seen from the www.scoobysport.com website (rather than stating them here).

All the best

Simon
Old 08 June 2004, 10:35 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Yawn , the Hayward and Scott is the orginal design " Scoobysport " exhaust ( not the SDB design )that is still classed as one of the best if not the best for all round performence in terms of sound etc. There is no "apparenty " about it .The price is at an all time low due to the quanity that we are currenty making them.

Ian
Old 08 June 2004, 11:05 AM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

LOL

Hi Ian

as I said "not to cause and argument".

My statements were

"The H&S system is NOT the ScoobySport system". This is a fact.
"It is (aparently) the old system that scoobysport used to sell years ago." The use of the word "aparently" is that I am trusting your statements that this is true and that it is identical to the system produced and sold by pete croney years ago.

Regarding your quote "not the SDB design".. what does that mean? I have had absolutely no input in the design of this system, and have never claimed to. It is the improved evolution of the ScoobySport system which has been in production in this form for over a year (long before my involvement with the system).

Regarding the price. I don't know what your price is currently, but has no bearing on this discussion. The official ScoobySport rear silencer is £317.25 inc VAT. Which is less than the figure quoted by Mike P above. If your system is cheaper than this, that's absolutely fine. "You pays yer money, you takes yer choice" as they say.

But the system is NOT the scoobysport system, and this was all I was clarifying. I deliberately did not mention all of the benefits of the scoobysport system over the H&S one, as I thought that would be unfair. I would also feel very uncomfortable (personally) if I were in your shoes trading off the good will of the scoobysport name.. but that's just me.

Like I said, I didn't want an argument. I was not rude (such as the "yawn" comment).. and nothing I stated was incorrect. This is one of the only times I've commented on this issue (except during the initial discussion a couple of months ago), and have allowed it to simply slip by. Perhaps that was wrong of me.

Regards

Simon
Old 08 June 2004, 01:16 PM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

The "yawn " was because we have been down this road before and i and no doubt everyone else is probably bored with this.As for living off the "Scoobysport " name everyone knows what we did for Pete Croney and Scoobysport and our reputation for building a quality exhaust ,that we can't change.
Anyway thats enough we shall let the customer make up there own mind as to who exhaust they buy. As for the price that was put on there for Mike p benefit,he was saying the price being approx £325,where as it is £276.13 plus the P+P .

Ian
Old 08 June 2004, 01:21 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

OK well I bought my existing BB from a guy on here who sold it as a Scoobysport Exhaust ?? It has a chrome finish to the Tail Pipe but the Matt silver finish to the actual back box....and it has 3 hangers one in the centre and 2 at the ends ?

Can anyone please tell me then which one I have and apologies for calling it a H&S Scoobysport if its not
Old 08 June 2004, 01:27 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Okay just been on to the Hayward & Scott website and have worked out that I have the "normal sound" H&S BackBox.....and not a current Scoobysport. Sorry for any confusion but all I can say is I am very very happy with the H&S Box
Old 08 June 2004, 01:37 PM
Mike P
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify, the box I have is one of the original Scoobysport (manufactured by H&S) exhausts, and the new price was an approximation, as mentioned. That was the price I recalled when I was digging around looking for a new one a while back - apologies if that's misled anyone.

Maybe you should come up with some agreed Scoobysport exhaust terminology. Like "New Age" or "Classic", for example.

Last edited by Mike P; 08 June 2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08 June 2004, 01:48 PM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

We call ours the " original " design Scoobysport back box,and as far we are aware SDB calls his the "Official".

Ian
Old 08 June 2004, 02:06 PM
FragaL
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies lads, much appreciated.

Im not going to go for a decat at the momemt as im told that having a PPP ECU might have probs, ive been told a remap would be required.

Does anyone have any pics of the TSL, Vortex & Ninja fitted i can look at? Sound clips too would be great!

Cheers
Old 08 June 2004, 02:29 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Who manufactures the current ScoobySport exhaust? Is it still Janspeed?
Old 08 June 2004, 03:15 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi Fatman

Yes, Janspeed manufactures the official scoobysport exhaust. Please see www.scoobysport.com for more info.

All the best

Simon

Last edited by ScoobySport (SdB); 08 June 2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08 June 2004, 03:26 PM
jas03WRX
Scooby Regular

You should have a look at the Milltek system.
It’s what they’re using on the T25.

Look and Sounds fantastic.
Old 08 June 2004, 03:35 PM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by FragaL
Thanks for the replies lads, much appreciated.

Im not going to go for a decat at the momemt as im told that having a PPP ECU might have probs, ive been told a remap would be required.

Does anyone have any pics of the TSL, Vortex & Ninja fitted i can look at? Sound clips too would be great!

Cheers

I've been running a PPP ecu with full decat on a MY01 WRX for over a year now with "touch wood" no problems and I understand many other are running the same setup. It makes an unbelievable diferrence to the sound and performance. I'm running a classic scoobysport H&S system on mine which I bought mostly second hand off scoobynet

I thought about an ECUTEK remap but I need to find a standard ecu and the cost didn't justify the end result as the gains wouldn't have been that much.

Chris
Old 08 June 2004, 03:37 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Does that mean that ScoobySport is the point of contact for the previous incarnation (Janspeed) of SS exhaust for warranty issues?
Old 08 June 2004, 03:41 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Hi Fatman

The warranty will be honoured by Janspeed, but email me if you have a query and we'll get it sorted out.

Cheers

Simon
Old 08 June 2004, 03:43 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

OK, will do. Cheers
Old 08 June 2004, 05:03 PM
The_Judge
Scooby Regular

Mmmmmm, niiiiiiiiice.

Ian, is it basically a fully polished version of the one that only had a polished tail pipe? In other words, like the Janspeed version rip-off of your design (shame you couldn't have patented that, or shame Janspeed couldn't have come up with an original design of their own )?
Old 08 June 2004, 05:21 PM
jas03WRX
Scooby Regular

This the the rear silencer I have fitted on MY03 WRX. It looks fab (especially at night, when peoples head lights are reflecting off the rear box - ask Marklemac!!! ) Sounds the puddles plums is well.......
Old 08 June 2004, 05:41 PM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The_Judge

Mmmmmm, niiiiiiiiice.

Ian, is it basically a fully polished version of the one that only had a polished tail pipe? In other words, like the Janspeed version rip-off of your design (shame you couldn't have patented that, or shame Janspeed couldn't have come up with an original design of their own )?
Thats correct,we have blended/polished the ends of the box as well as the box itself which has been finely satin finished / polished.Same sound though!!
Shame about the " copy " though but what does that say about a product ??

Ian
Old 08 June 2004, 09:30 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

Oh my god!

Let's get something straight.

1) Pete Croney SPECIFIED and COMMISSIONED the original scoobysport exhaust from a stainless steel fabricator called hayward and scott. Without scoobysport this exhaust would not have happened.

2) Pete Croney altered the original design of the exhaust and had h&s remake it to his specication.

3) The Janspeed system is NOT a "copy" of the scoobysport exhaust system.. it *IS* the scoobysport exhaust system. It is different to the hayward and scott system which is the reason it is more performant. This is a simple fact.

4) The official scoobysport exhaust system is manufacturerd to a higher standard by one of the finest exhaust manufacturer's in the county.

---

To prove the value of the scoobysport name. Why did scoobysport not go round calling their system the "Hayward and Scott (scoobysport)" when they moved production and development to Janspeed?

So why does hayward and scott seen to be happy with "scoobysport (H&S)"?

The Judge
shame you couldn't have patented that, or shame Janspeed couldn't have come up with an original design of their own
They couldn't patent it as it was not theirs to patent. Janspeed made what it was requested to make - An improved evolution of the old scoobysport exhaust system.

Ian.

Your business tactics and willingness to slate scoobysport, etc on scoobynet is amazing to me. I have deliberately avoided attacking or even commenting on your system and yet you seem happy to slate ours.

It puts me in a very difficult position, as I am not used to dealing with people who operate in this underhand way. Your product is hard facts proven to be inferior, and a simple visual comparrison will show anybody the difference in manufacture quality, so I guess your only method of competition must be this nasty attacking stance you've adopted.

My original statements were simply clarifying that you DO NOT produce the scoobysport system. ScoobySport is not your name. You make the H&S system. If your company name and brand is not strong enough (in your mind) to stand on it's own two feet, please do not simply attempt to abuse someone elses.

Regards

Simon
Old 08 June 2004, 09:40 PM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

PS. Just make it absolutely clear.

I have never had any problem with you selling your exhaust system, and I truly hope the people who buy it love it more than life itself. I have no fear of competition, and genuine business practices.

My only irritation is your use of the scoobysport brand name. We will see whether you are confident enough in your product to simply allow it to stand on its own two feet.
Old 09 June 2004, 07:43 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Simon

1 Pete Croney came to us to make a stainless steel back box for his Impreza which he had no input to the design of what so ever , for the simple reason he didnt know anything about exhausts.He also suggusted that we made a jig as there could be a market for it.At that time 3 various Subaru dealers approached us about the sole selling rights to a Impreza back box one of them being Pete Croney,the rest is history.

2 He also at no time in the period that we were making the exhaust for him ask us to alter the design in any way,the slight mods that we carred out over the 5 year period were down to us.

3 The reason Janspeed came on to the scene was because we stopped supplying Pete due to a large unpaid bill . Janspeed did copy us as that is what the public wanted,at one time Janspeed even asked about copy right as to who owned the design and whether we minded them copying which we said no .

4 I have never " slated " the SDB scoobysport as i know nothing about the new company.

5 So Simon before you start saying the do and don't about what happen before you came on to the scene it might be better to get some facts right.

If you want to carry on ranting and raving then you can but you won't get any more comments from us as we have been over this ground so many times , just let the public make up ther own mind as to which exhaust they buy.

Ian
Old 09 June 2004, 09:31 AM
ScoobySport (SdB)
Scooby Regular

If you want to carry on ranting and raving then you can but you won't get any more comments from us as we have been over this ground so many times , just let the public make up ther own mind as to which exhaust they buy.
Fabulous. I'm glad we finally agree.

Quick Reply: What Zorst