Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Advice needed on DCCD

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2004, 11:09 AM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice needed on DCCD

I’ve done a search on DCCD characteristics but can’t seem to find anyone with a similar problem to myself, but I’m sure someone on here will be able to set me straight.

I’ve just bought a type r and have been following the advice to use it with the diff lock fully open for everyday driving however it doesn’t feel right at anything near full lock, even at parking speeds. If I wind on anything past half lock the tyres skip across the road as it they are really far out of alignment. I don’t think this is the case though as when it happens theres quite a bit of clunking coming from around the front diff area.

It almost feels like the front diff is fully locked. I didn’t think that a dccd car would feel that much different to a normal one but its very noticeable.

I’m hoping that someone can tell me that this is all normal or if not that there is a simple fix.

Any advice is very much appreciated.
Old 07 June 2004, 11:39 AM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Playsatan
I’ve just bought a type r and have been following the advice to use it with the diff lock fully open for everyday driving however it doesn’t feel right at anything near full lock, even at parking speeds.
It's not supposed to feel "right" at parking speeds with the diff wound up. That's why everything you've read so far tells you not to use it like this. The transmission only works the way it's intended to when you're leaning on it.

If I wind on anything past half lock the tyres skip across the road
Can you be a little more specific with what's happening here? Are you saying it misbehaves when you're driving in a straight line, or that it pushes on when you're trying to turn tightly, what?

It almost feels like the front diff is fully locked. I didn’t think that a dccd car would feel that much different to a normal one but its very noticeable.
What do you mean by a "normal" car? A regular UK Impreza Turbo or a WRX? Don't forget that it's not just the centre diff that's different on the Type R, you have a limited slip front diff as well as the mechanical rear LSD. It should feel quite different from the non-DCCD Imprezas, especially when you have some stick wound into the centre diff. It's probably worth pointing out that you wouldn't normally run the diff much further up than about halfway on dry tarmac, no matter how quick you're driving, as it does take too much away from the turn-in.

I’m hoping that someone can tell me that this is all normal or if not that there is a simple fix.
From what you've said so far it sounds normal. Could also be that the suspension geometry isn't quite right, which would make it feel worse. If you can give us some more specific info on what it's doing it'll be easier for us to comment.
Old 07 June 2004, 12:05 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the reply Greasemonkey, just re-read what I posted and could have been a bit clearer.

Originally Posted by greasemonkey
It's not supposed to feel "right" at parking speeds with the diff wound up. That's why everything you've read so far tells you not to use it like this. The transmission only works the way it's intended to when you're leaning on it. .
When I said it didn't feel right anywhere near full lock I was referring to steering lock. I've never ran the diff lock at anything other than fully open. I've only just bought the car and thought it wise to do this until I learned better.

Can you be a little more specific with what's happening here? Are you saying it misbehaves when you're driving in a straight line, or that it pushes on when you're trying to turn tightly, what?.
In a straight line it behaves itself and handles as I would expect. I should have mentioned also that it has top and botom cusco strut braces on it and cusco lowerimg springs ( only 20 mm drop ) in case that has an impact. I wouldn't say that it feels understeery at all, quite the opposite in fact. Its only at low speeds the "problem" becomes noticeable.

What do you mean by a "normal" car? A regular UK Impreza Turbo or a WRX? Don't forget that it's not just the centre diff that's different on the Type R, you have a limited slip front diff as well as the mechanical rear LSD. It should feel quite different from the non-DCCD Imprezas, especially when you have some stick wound into the centre diff. It's probably worth pointing out that you wouldn't normally run the diff much further up than about halfway on dry tarmac, no matter how quick you're driving, as it does take too much away from the turn-in..
When I said a normal car I was referring to my old UK turbo ( No offense intended ) I wasn't aware that it had a lsd on the front as well, is it quite common to reach the limits of them when the steering is near full lock?

From what you've said so far it sounds normal. Could also be that the suspension geometry isn't quite right, which would make it feel worse. If you can give us some more specific info on what it's doing it'll be easier for us to comment.
Had the same though about the geometry. I'm intending to have it checked over/set up soon but as the tyre wear seems even thought that would be ok.
Old 07 June 2004, 12:27 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

This is exactly what I thought when I started to drive my Type R. The skipping you are referring to - do you mean you can hear the rear wheels grabbing on a tight turn at low speeds. Mine also clanks and whines I think you get used to it. Look at J Felsteds thread in driving techniques for a fuller explanation of DCCD.

You could start dialing in the diff to see/feel the diffrence in the car. I had some good advice from a co-owner about playing with the diff to loosen it up. I started doing this and it freed the lock at the full open setting. Now take this one with a pinch of salt - after I put the car under some doughnuts with diff set to OPEN - it loosened considerably.
Old 07 June 2004, 12:54 PM
greasemonkey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Playsatan
When I said it didn't feel right anywhere near full lock I was referring to steering lock.
Ah right, that makes things a bit clearer.

I've never ran the diff lock at anything other than fully open. I've only just bought the car and thought it wise to do this until I learned better.
That's advisable, just don't try randomly stabbing the throttle in the wet like that as with the diff fully open you will find it far more prone to swapping ends than your old car. Would be worth finding a deserted car park/airfield/etc. somewhere and playing with it a bit.

In a straight line it behaves itself and handles as I would expect.
Cool, that's the most important thing.

I wouldn't say that it feels understeery at all, quite the opposite in fact.
It certainy shouldn't feel understeery with the diff fully open! Don't forget that in that configuration you have a pronounced rearward power bias and very little slip limiting going on in the centre diff.

When you start playing with it, you'll find that winding the centre diff up causes the car to become increasingly stable - and ultimately understeery - both on and off the power.

Its only at low speeds the "problem" becomes noticeable.
Doesn't sound as though anything untoward is wrong, but by the same token it shouldn't do anything overly untoward with the diff backed right off.

When I said a normal car I was referring to my old UK turbo
No worries, just needed to find out what your point of reference was! You shouldn't really find the car acting up too much when you wind the steering lock on when the centre diff is fully released, so it's always a possibility that you've got a worn CV joint or something like that, or, as suggested before, the geometry isn't quite right. It's also possible, if you've bought the car secondhand, that it might have an aftermarket mechanical LS front diff in it, which could be responsible for what's going on.

Unfortunately it's always bloody difficult to comment on things like this accurately via the internet, as we need to sit in the car and hear/see/feel what it's doing. It doesn't sound like there's anything major wrong, but I'd suggest getting a four wheel geometry setup done soonish, and try and find a local meet or more experienced Type R/RA owner who can tell you whether your car is doing what his does.
Old 07 June 2004, 01:58 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info guys. Like I said I was hoping this would all be the norm, just sounds and feels a little strange when you're not used to it.

Originally Posted by gravelexpress
This is exactly what I thought when I started to drive my Type R. The skipping you are referring to - do you mean you can hear the rear wheels grabbing on a tight turn at low speeds. Mine also clanks and whines I think you get used to it.
Thats exactly what I'm talking about, only it's the front wheels on mine. The clunks and whines are all present too. Doesn't bother me though, just thought there could be a problem.

Originally Posted by gravelexpress
You could start dialing in the diff to see/feel the diffrence in the car. I had some good advice from a co-owner about playing with the diff to loosen it up. I started doing this and it freed the lock at the full open setting. Now take this one with a pinch of salt - after I put the car under some doughnuts with diff set to OPEN - it loosened considerably.
Thats just the excuse I was needing. I'll give it a go and let you know if it makes a difference. Even it doesn't it's still a worthwhile exercise.

While we're talking about them, how do these transmissions compare to standard turbo ones on the quarter mile. Are they up to the job or does that added complexity make them too fragile? Can anyone recomend a good setting for the strip either?

Last edited by Playsatan; 07 June 2004 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07 June 2004, 04:37 PM
gravelexpress
Scooby Regular

It is a completely diffrent car to say a 96 WRX (my previous scooby) so much so that I was a worried like yourself. But you will appreciate it - bye bye understeer!!

If you are still worried get a fellow owner to have a drive - exactly what I did.

I have tried a full launch with the diff on full lock - but like you said try it on the 1/4 for a comparison. If you are in the North - Elvington airfield nr York has frequent straigh line shoot outs.

Trending Topics

Old 08 June 2004, 03:21 PM
Playsatan
Scooby Regular

Think I'll follow your advice and get a fellow owner to try it and compare to their own. Unfortunately they're a bit thin on the ground here ( Glasgow ), so I might have to wait till the next SIDC day at Knockhill or 1/4 mile day at crail.

Did try one fast launch with the diff fully open. Mega wheelspin. Will experiment and see what works best unless anyone has any tips.