Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

is there a 'life expectancy' of a MAF sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2004, 02:01 PM
hoskib
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question is there a 'life expectancy' of a MAF sensor?

can't for the life of me find them again, but read some recent posts of treating the MAF as a serviceable part (ie. scheduled changing) and quotes of mileages when a MAF should be changed.

is this the case, or is it not really something to worry about unless it goes wrong?

i've got a MY99, on original MAF and 38k, no problems at all with it from what i can tell, just wondering if it is something i should look at replacing in the near future?

cheers
Old 06 June 2004, 07:01 PM
micared
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I've just replaced mine at 50k on my MY00...don't think there was anything wrong with it, but I've come to regard them as a service item after reading some of the horror stories on here about them gradually leaning out, causing blowups. At £77 from the main dealer, and ten minutes to change it, if you've a sniff of a reason not to trust it, it's no real expense if it sets your mind at rest, even if you do this once a year. If you want to get an idea of your current mafs health, do an ecu reset....if there's any issues with it, the car probably won't tick over/run right afterwards. As an aside, there'd be no harm in changing the lamda at the same time, as these also are regarded as having a " lifespan ".