Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Oooops...about 20psi boost (on a classic)

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2004, 11:34 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oooops...about 20psi boost (on a classic)

Came home from work today (from out of the country) and the wife says.......

"something wrong with the car....nearly snapped my neck......like running into a wall"

Ahah.....fuel cut me thinks.......gets home, takes car for quick spin.....boost gauge whips round to about 20psi, so I back off sharpish!!!!!

Fitted an FCD and adjusted the MBC last month (before going away) but couldn't get it over about 17psi....maybe turned the MBC up a bit after I'd already seen 17psi!!!
I'm guessing the MBC has suddenly sorted itself out and when I adjusted it, it should have gone to more than 17psi, but for some reason didn't.....now it has!! ??
Will adjust it down tomorrow....see what I can get eh??

Strangely enough........fuel cut is obviously round about 21-22psi now, but when I briefly saw about 20psi today.....the knocklink only lit two greens!!! Does this mean I'll probably be able to put more than 17psi boost??
I know how careful to be, but just wondered if it may be something else affecting the boost, rather than the MBC......wastegate sticking maybe??

I have an EBC on order, so will feel safer when that is fitted. It's a Blitz SBC "S".....not the best I know, but better than an MBC I would think??

Marty
Old 05 June 2004, 01:59 PM
andypugh2000
Scooby Regular

You would be wise to take the MBC off and return it to std until the EBC arrives, you will blow the head gaskets if its a pre MY99 and you are boosting 22+ psi, my maximum with overboost warning is 1.27 bar which is around 19 psi and this was set by someone who knows their stuff

andy
Old 05 June 2004, 02:35 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

im sure mine runs about 22psi but im not sure as the gauge is in bar but mine is 1.5 bar
Old 05 June 2004, 02:43 PM
Delboy2
Scooby Regular

1.5bar = 21.75psig
Old 05 June 2004, 03:23 PM
martyrobertsdj
Scooby Regular

Discovered the problem!!!

Opened the bonnet and saw it straight away........the hose to the MBC was off!!! Guess I had no actuator control at all eh??? Ooops!!

Fixed that and reduced the MBC to be on the safe side.....went for a run and tweaked a bit more...settled at about 16-17psi for now....maybe just touches 18 or so for an instant when first hitting the throttle in 5th.

Only one, occasionally two lights on Knockilnk, but then only if I thrash it, so I thinkstill pretty safe for now.

Looking forward to getting a bit more control with the EBC.

Cheers,

Marty