Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How much extra power with decat?

Search this Thread

Old 04 June 2004, 09:37 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How much extra power with decat?

I'm having to try and keep the spending down so a remap is out for a little while so am wondering what average power increases for 02 WRX would be expected for a downpipe and centre section decat with either my current STi back box or a better back box?

I've got a downpipe decat already and was thinking that I could get another 15-20 bhp with just a straight pipe in the centre section.

Any suggestions for PPP back box sound alikes?

Cheers!

Mike
Old 04 June 2004, 11:24 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike

One of the first things I did to my MY02 bugeye (apart from the pink badge) was to de-cat the car. I didn't notice a big increase in power but the noise was much nicer. I came from an MR2 where I was used to hearing the engine (behind the left ear) and it felt a lot better.

About the time In de-catted mine there were a few "scare stories" about the increased flow and temps in the up pipe could melt the cat in the up-pipe and wreck the turbo I went for a de-cat u- pipe as well!!

I went for the Magnex back box 6X4 oval.... far too quiet for most on here but there agin I do remember Brutus shirts the first time around !

Midlife.....
Old 05 June 2004, 01:00 PM
VAL113R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about exact bhp increase figures but there is a noticeable improvement in low-end torque with the cats off.

Did you take the up-pipe (turbo) cat off as well as the downpipe? IIRC this is the one that's in danger of exploding due to temp increases.

I decatted mine the opposite way from you. Centre cat came off first as part of the PPP exhaust system. The subsequent removal of the up/down pipes resulted in the noticeable performance gain.

As far as back boxes go, i found the Prodrive BB to be a bit too refined! Get yourself an H&S Scoobysport BB if you can find one. Not as ear-bleedingly loud as Hipers etc as they'e quite quiet off boost but open the car up and they roar to life nicely