Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Noise from front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2004, 12:13 AM
the cookie monster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Noise from front wheel

Noticed ive got a faint noise like a grinding sound from the front LHS wheel. just had a service, got 3k left on pads (according to subaru) tyres about 2.2mm, any sugestions guys. cars a classic with 48k. the noise is there all the time now, dont want to take to subaru, rather learn a little about my baby and investigate it. has anyone else had a similar problem or has a guess at reason.

i am having a **** in the wind guess that when the car gets washed, that the cleaning fluid (used on the wheels) ends up removing the lub from the moving parts on the caliper?

Cookie Monster
Old 02 June 2004, 12:25 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Does it differ in rate/tone to the direction of the wheel?

*could* be wheel bearing - so don't guess, have it looked at. Wheel bearing is £25 + labour or a hub/wheel bearing is £165 + labour if you let it run...

Does the noise stop with the gentle/light touch of brakes? Then likely pad based reason but don't discount the above reason.

I had a NSF bearing/hub replaced at 25k on an MY99 but since then, no problem. May have been a weakness in OE kit for that MY.
Old 02 June 2004, 12:42 AM
the cookie monster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have tested it on corners, to see if there is any difference but there is no diffrence. ive had a few wheel bears go on my old trusty nova but it sounds nothing like that. the noise is constant (worse when opening the window) but it is an on and off noise. does it for 1 min, 10 seconds quite, back to 1 min of noise. tried slow braking and sharpe braking to see a difference, it does go on sharpe braking but i think it is still there on softer braking, saying that im not to sure on the soft braking. will try it tomorrow. car is still under subaru 12 month warranty as i brought it from them. i will get it checked ASAP. do they normally charge for checking?

thanks for your help PTMD.
Old 02 June 2004, 10:17 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Just had a very similar sounding problem on my RB5 a couple of weeks ago, though mine was making more of a ringing sound that grinding. It turned out to be the metal clips on the inner brake pad. They were scraping on the non-swept area of the disc below where the pad sits and making a load of noise.. Cured it by taking the pad out and bending the clips out of the way a bit, and then ordered some new pads.. (mine had around 2500 miles left according to subaru).

Hope this is of some use..
Old 02 June 2004, 11:31 AM
Tandy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrahameS
Just had a very similar sounding problem on my RB5 a couple of weeks ago, though mine was making more of a ringing sound that grinding. It turned out to be the metal clips on the inner brake pad. They were scraping on the non-swept area of the disc below where the pad sits and making a load of noise.. Cured it by taking the pad out and bending the clips out of the way a bit, and then ordered some new pads.. (mine had around 2500 miles left according to subaru).

Hope this is of some use..
I had the same but assumed there were wear indicators as they were fairly low anway, got new ones now.

Tandy
Old 02 June 2004, 11:39 AM
GrahameS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tandy
I had the same but assumed there were wear indicators as they were fairly low anway, got new ones now.

Tandy
Yeah I guessed they were wear indicators, but didn't want to drive round with the car making loads of noise. New pads arriving today hopefully so they should be changed over the weekend..
Old 02 June 2004, 02:00 PM
Sp00ky
Scooby Newbie

I had a similar issue with my standard turbo model.

Subaru wanted £180 for replacing my pads, did it myself for £80

Trending Topics

Old 02 June 2004, 08:20 PM
scuba_doo
Scooby Regular

Yeah ,had a squeal / scrapping noise came on n/s/f , then a couple of days later the o/s/f , wear indicators near to the disc and pads down to 2 / 3m/m but disc's had a ridge around the inner edge, this was rubbing against the pads inner edge all the time . New disc's and pads fitted , all ok now .
Old 03 June 2004, 06:36 PM
the cookie monster
Scooby Regular

Cool top banana

cheers guys.

have not looked at ur repies for a day, and you have come up with the same answer as xtreme scoobies and subaru, or the other way round..

great to get so many replies, she goes in 2 oclock tomorrow for an inspection, ending up with new pads i hope.

cheers guys.

Cookie Monster.